Trainer needed in Surrey/Middlesex area

Jenniej

Trainer needed in Surrey/Middlesex area

Post by Jenniej » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good Terrier-experienced dog trainer in north Surrey/Middlesex area? We adopted Bruce (welsh terrier cross) a year ago. He was 18 months when we got him. He'd been handed into a rescue, we were told after his owners had a baby and it didn't go well. When we got him home, he displayed some aggressive, nippy and defensive traits but with a lot of patience and group training a lot has gone well but we still have many issues with him going AWOL and getting out of parks and into highly risky situations and need some further help otherwise we're feeling we may not ever be able to let him off the lead again or have a 'normal' dog walk. Feel we now need a bit more expert help to get us to the next stage, if anyone can recommend someone I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

sweetpea

Re: Trainer needed in Surrey/Middlesex area

Post by sweetpea » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:30 pm

I honestly dont know how a trainer would help ....i would keep him on a harness and extending lead to keep him safe .....alot of terriers have no recall especially if they find a scent ....have you got an enclosed field. ...space that you can let him off ????
Tom walked on an extender lead for a year before my friend let us use her field as it wasnt safe for him to be let offlead....too many tempting smells

Rummibailey

Post by Rummibailey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Most terriers cannot be safely walked on lead. For his own safety walk him in a harness and extender lead. You can get 8 metre long extender leads that offer a lot of freedom without the risk of them getting run over, lost or bothering other dogs. Our lurcher has very good recall but has a high prey drive and we can't guarantee he wouldn't run off after a rabbit/bird/squirrel so we always walk him on an extender lead.
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

Polpat

Post by Polpat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:03 pm

I tried for years to get my JRT off lead - with trainers, behaviourists etc he was always unpredictable with other dogs although lived with my 2 other dogs without a problem, and was distinctly hostile to some dogs (usually large black ones). He would chase squirrels etc and disappear - down drains, fox and badger holes, under buildings/huts etc. Sometimes I would take 10 hours or more to dig him out. The day we finally stopped trying to "make" him something he could never be was a revelation..... We all relaxed, accepted he would never be off lead and from then on he walked on an extender. Life was so much better for us all - he was perfectly happy and life was easier all round. We absolutely adored him and forgave him all his misdemeanours, he retained his wonderful if quirky character and we accepted him for all he was.
If your dog is constantly getting into danger it may be better to just keep him on a lead - walks can still be very much "normal" and your dog will not be causing to a hazard to himself or anyone else.

Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Hi Jennie, I totally agree with the above posts - plus there isn't a trainer in the world who can train the terrier out of a terrier.......and why would we want them to??? Your little terrier has no idea he's doing anything wrong when he goes on his little adventures - he's just doing what comes naturally to him. Accept he's not going to be an off lead dog, enjoy your walks without worrying, invest in a good extender lead. Congratulations for taking the time and effort to work through his other quirks - he's a lucky boy. The off lead issue is a no no though - I'd save my money and buy a sturdy extender. Xxx

gsdlover

Post by gsdlover » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Agree totally with all the above.

Don't know if you're on Facebook, but there is a page on there which lists secure fields that are rentable by the hour, that may be an option so that he can still have his off lead time?

Jenniej

Post by Jenniej » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for your replies, they've been very helpful. We have been doing more on the long lead over the last couple of weeks and it's been more relaxing all round I'm happy to say. I think what hit our confidence was that he found his way out of what we thought was a secure area; river on 3 sides and huge fence on the other. What we hadn't reckoned on was a very small gap under the fence! 4 hours later and in the dark we finally got him back. Several people tried to help but most asked us 'what's his recall like?' And our answer 'reasonable but he's a terrier' didn't quite seem to be understood!!
Onwards and upwards...

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:41 am

Brillant news ... blob6.gif] :dog_running-186.gif: thank you for the update. .. :thanks.gif:
Lots of people give up and return their terriers when they realise some cant be let offlead safely. ..long line of extended lead are perfect for terriers :goodjob.gif:

Return to “Behaviour & Training”