Jagger (Ace) Belg Shep x Eng Mastiff DofB 06.17 Hook Hants

Dogs that have found their forever home
rob_w

Re: Ace Belg Shep x Eng Mastiff DofB 06.17 Partridge Green S

Post by rob_w »

Ace the Gentle Giant has been with me and Coco for a few more weeks now and it's still an absolute pleasure to have him around. I'm learning new things about him everyday as his personality continues to grow and develop, it's very easy to forget he is younger than Coco sometimes, while she is screaming around the place at a billion miles an hour full of staffie energy it's clear he would much rather be asleep or eating.

One thing that has become more apparent is his love of sticks, he will select a stick early in the walk and unless a better stick presents itself this is carried all the way on the walk and back to my car, where it is shredded on the back seat. I have no idea what selection criteria he uses for the stick, because some are certainly more suitable

Than others

I've also started to walk him using the extender lead, this is both much nicer for him as he can roam around a bit more but also for me because it means I don't have to keep stopping and starting. It also is much kinder on my back/hips and hands. I've attached the extender lead to a length of bungie cord, which is then attached to the waist strap I use to walk him, this again makes the experience nicer for both of us as it absorbs all the shock of the extender reaching it's full length. I've used the extender before with Coco, but never with a dog his size, and it's taken a bit of getting used to - to begin with I was dragged into a few trees and on one occasion a holly bush.

The extender lead has lead to the discovery that he does have two additional speeds, I've come to label these as "trot" and "lollop". Trot is a bit faster than "fast plod", it's used when he has seen an especially interesting stick that might be worthy of replacing the one he is currently carrying, it's still not what you would call quick but it covers the distance quite well. Lollop would appear to be his absolute top speed, he mainly uses this when Coco is trying to steal his stick or if he has got left behind and is trying to catch up. The extension lead is 8m long, so I would estimate that the maximum distance he can cover in lollop is about 10m. When he has got left behind and deploys lollop it's immediately obvious because the extender lead starts winding back in with an audible "zzzzzzzzt" noise and it sounds like the Grand National has suddenly appeared behind you.

He wasn't at all bothered by the snow

His collar says "Adopt me", and it's caused lots of people on our walks to ask about him and RR.

I found him and Coco on my bed, there was no room for me to get into it...

I get a lot of comments about his size. I have roughly normal sized adult man hands.
I also have a normal sized front door
And a normal sized two seater sofa
My parents have a normal sized kitchen, with normal height counters.

At the weekend he met my cousins two small children, aged 2 and 4, the eldest is quite scared of dogs (even soppy ones) while the youngest absolutely loves them. Ace was a star with both of them, although we kept the interactions fully supervised, he allowed the youngest to stroke him and touch his face and didn't show the slightest hint of concern, the elder one overcame his worry enough to come and give him a fuss as well. I think it's fair to say that the most dangerous bit of Ace is the back end, his tail is quite long and when he gets excited his whole hips wag as well as the tail, it hurts when he catches my thigh but it would be very painful for a child to catch it in the face.

He is a stunning dog

who loves a sleep

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

He is gorgeous and some photos he has a real look of great dane about him....thank you for fostering this gorgeous boy :thanks.gif: 0093.gif :goodjob.gif:
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Wonderful update on Ace. :thanks.gif: I got to walk him at the kennels but didn't get to see his full speed setting. blob6.gif] I only got to see him plodding. He is such a gentle boy and loved a cuddle. It is so great to see him on foster as he is so young and kennels can be scary (even if you are a bit bigger!).

Ace is a magnificent dog in all respects and a forever home will be lucky to have him. 0093.gif
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
xxlynne

Re: Ace Belg Shep x Eng Mastiff DofB 06.17 Hook Hants

Post by xxlynne »

Debbie & Alistair bought little Bentley to meet Ace today and Im told Bentley the chihuahua now has a little brother! Rob will share all...
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Bentley does indeed have a big, little brother! I think it's fair to say that Ace knocked both Alistair and Debbie for six (figuratively and literally!)
Because of the weather we had to do the photo op in my front room, which isn't really big enough, so I'm sorry about the quality of this:

It's been a joy having Ace with us for the last month and we are all going to miss the big guy, but we also know he is going to have a fantastic life with his new family!
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

OH I need a big-dog-little-dog photo asap! Sad & happy I never met the gentle giant, have a lovely life gorgeous!
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Fantastic! BIG BIG hugs Ace :havefun.gif:
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

So pleased for this gorgeous gentle giant! :thanks.gif: 0093.gif :havefun.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Sarahk

Re: Jagger (Ace) Belg Shep x Eng Mastiff DofB 06.17 Hook Han

Post by Sarahk »

Just had to post these on here as they are so hilarious 0002.gif] 0002.gif] 0002.gif]
FC81ACA9-C1B4-420A-9218-1BDFE21ACC0D.jpeg
86669F80-81DC-4DAA-ADE5-A59BB7578E80.jpeg
They’re on Facebook, Bless the big little Jagger !!!
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Chapmania

Re: Jagger (Ace) Belg Shep x Eng Mastiff DofB 06.17 Hook Han

Post by Chapmania »

Wonderful news woo.gif] Be happy Jagger love4.gif xx

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”