Knitting Dog Warmers / Jumpers

Chrissy M

Knitting Dog Warmers / Jumpers

Post by Chrissy M » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi, I have some nice thick wool and I wanted to knit some dog warmers.....sort of jumpers with with no back legs

Does anyone have a pattern that is easy , to make simple ones, I see Shane has a nice one on today keeping him cosy thumbs.gif

lucyloo

Re: knitting dog warmers

Post by lucyloo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Have you had any joy with a pattern, Chrissy? I know it's a question I've seen asked a lot on facebook pages. Maybe do a post on Surrey dog owners asking for patterns. Might even get some volunteer keen knitters!

Chrissy M

Post by Chrissy M » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Not as yet...but..I'm on a mission...a mission to knit ! ...yes good idea Lucy ....I have a doggy friend who thinks her sister has a pattern and is going to send, so shall see.

Chrissy M

Post by Chrissy M » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm

I have been sent a simple dog warmer pattern, from Susy Radio listener Amanda who heard my request on air thumbs.gif and have begun knitting :0)

here is the link if anyone else wants to try

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-Do ... og-Blanket

I have adapted it to make it easier,so have kept to one colour and one stich (just plain knitting) am using size 4.5 needles as this make it quicker and fairly thick wool.

Here it is as of today ....basically its a sort of shaped dog blanket which I will fix Velcro fasteners to under the tummy and at the front so it is easy to get on and off...see how we go, it's quite enjoyable so far..erm not actually sure how long it will take me though......
knitting rwu.jpg
For one of Buttons mates still in kennels, not sure who yet...prob a larger dog..Jethro ?

ChrisE

Post by ChrisE » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 pm

I have started to crochet dog jumpers. If anyone is interested here is a link to the pdf file:-

http://www.lionbrand.com/lby_freedownlo ... id/149904/

Here is a pic of our Kiki in this jumper. They don't take very long to make and the pattern is good for beginners. I had never made an item before this in crochet. I thought it would be a good idea to prepare for the coming winter and make dog jumpers in various sizes to help all the dogs keep warm in their kennels in the cold weather. The pattern is easily adjusted to cater for all sizes.
Kiki jumper optimised.jpg
Marley Dog Jumper modelled by our Kiki - Lion Brand
If you prefer knitting there is a knitted dog jumper in pdf format by Lion Brand at the following link:-

http://www.lionbrand.com/lby_freedownlo ... id/149898/

Here is a pic of this jumper
FPF132_-_main_image_opt.jpg
Clifford Dog Jumper - Lion Brand

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 pm

:nicethread.gif:
Oooooh. I think I'm going to try one of these! Probably the crochet one first! Thanks for posting! Kiki looks great!
:thanks.gif:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

ChrisE

Post by ChrisE » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Wander Woman wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 pm
:nicethread.gif:
Oooooh. I think I'm going to try one of these! Probably the crochet one first! Thanks for posting! Kiki looks great!
:thanks.gif:
Glad my post has found someone who is interested.

I have to admit that the crochet jumper seems to be quicker in the making, which I think is due to the fact that each crochet row is deeper than a normal knitting row. I find it easier doing the crochet one at present as I have been suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome with my right hand. I do wear a support on my hand but I do find I don't have to use my right hand as much as I would with knitting.

Here is a pic of a whole set of the crochet jumper. Kiki's jumper was the largest one.
34181915_10156500048874923_232805665737801728_n_opt.jpg
If you understand crochet well it is easy to adapt to any size. All you need to do is measure say 2" and see how many half double crochets it takes for the width. Also if you are using different wool it will be necessary to sort out the tension and adjust where necessary - like how many chains to start with and the new tension with the different type of wool.

Good luck with the jumper. Please do post a pic when you have finished. Would love to see a pic once you have finished.

Return to “Crafts, Art & DIY”