Fine Due to Lack of Microchip

xxlynne

Fine Due to Lack of Microchip

Post by xxlynne » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:52 pm

A Staffordshire bull terrier was found roaming around a school by a caretaker in a case that landed its owner with the first fine in the city for failing to correctly microchip a dog, a court heard.

The caretaker at Marine Academy School in Plymouth reported the lost Staffie dog to Plymouth City Council (PCC) before the dog was impounded.

Council staff found that, although the dog had been chipped, the information about the dog and its owner Rosalyn Harding was missing.

Harding, of Kings Tamerton Road, ended up before Plymouth Magistrates after her dog was found to be in breach of new laws requiring that the female Staffordshire bull terrier was correctly microchipped.

image: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/images/ ... 200496.jpg

She was ordered to pay a £450 fine by magistrates at a case heard at the court on Tuesday January 24.

The city council served a notice on 30 September 2016 under the Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2015, requiring her dog to have its microchip updated with the owner's details.

60-year-old Harding had 21 days to comply with the notice, but by October, the details had not been updated correctly via the Petlog microchip database and she was prosecuted for failing to comply with the notice.

She failed to show up at court and the case continued in her absence.

Deputy District Judge Russell fined her a total of £450 including £200 in costs and a £30 victim surcharge.

In April 2016, it became the law for every dog owner in England to ensure their pet has been chipped – and that registered details are kept up-to-date.

Read more at http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/woman-f ... ethyMOO.99

sweetpea

Re: Fine Due to Lack of Microchip

Post by sweetpea » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:17 pm

I cant believe how many dogs being advertised on gumtree without being microchipped. ...not just puppies but adults to ...i have made a complaint to gumtree but have not received a reply .... :smiley-rolleyes010.gif:

Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 am

Only responsible owners chip anyway and while this law was welcomed, and I'm sure it must have encouraged some to chip, the rest still don't bother. It's a law they can't enforce and perhaps will encourage more to say "it isn't my dog" when a stray is picked up with no chip. Gumtree couldn't care less otherwise they would ban the advertising of pets full stop. My vet checked that Heidi was chipped the other day, I wonder if they all do.
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit our fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/676797962392764/

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:37 pm

I agree freeads including Preloved and Gumtree are not IMHO goodplaces to advertise dogs ...but some rescues advertise on them as well as private owners

Return to “Legal Questions & Chat”