Lizzie Crossbreed DOB ?2012 - 11.11.20

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Purple Poppy

Re: Lizzie Crossbreed DOB ?2012 Camden NW London

Post by Purple Poppy »

Brilliant news. I will miss her dearly, so glad she is rehomed. Love the photos. I had no idea she was being rehomed today. I went to her kennel today and she was not there smiley-sad010.gif Please give her a big kiss from me x
chinquest

Post by chinquest »

0077.gif 0077.gif so pleased for Lizzie
Chapmania

Post by Chapmania »

So thrilled for Lizzie. Be happy sweetheart Kiss of love.gif xx

:smiley-gen013.gif: :smiley-bounce016.gi: :smiley-gen013.gif:
AlisonC

Post by AlisonC »

Beautiful Lizzie so happy for you Kiss of love.gif
MandaTK

Post by MandaTK »

So pleased for our gentle darling LIzzie. Be happy sweet girl. Lots of love. xxxxxxxx Thanks to Tracey for championing Lizzie. x :smiley-bounce016.gi:
Underdog_Rescue

Post by Underdog_Rescue »

trying her out on the collar instead of the harness,
trying her out on the collar instead of the harness,
She seems happy to walk by my side when not in the harness (i'm still asleep though)
She seems happy to walk by my side when not in the harness (i'm still asleep though)
She's settling in...
She's settling in...

Took her for an hours walk in Regents Park this morning and she's now asleep!
Purple Poppy

Post by Purple Poppy »

Love, love, love the photos - thank you so much for keeping us updated. Lizzie is so gorgeous and so lucky to have you. I used to take Lizzie on days out and when she was not surrounded by other dogs and had plenty of space from others dogs, she was a very calm angel of a dog. When off and on lead dogs got too close, she would give the impression that she wanted to play and gave off all the signals I would expect a friendly dog to do and then all of a sudden she would lunge at the dog, without warning and surprised me with her strength. I was very grateful for the harness, so that I had more control over her and most importantly I did not hurt her neck, when we were in these situations. Last week we went to a fun day (I will post the video soon so you can see her having a wander around) and she really did not feel comfortable around the dogs who came up close (and you are unable to control other people's dogs, and because Lizzie looks and is so sweet, other people have a false sense of security - including myself when I first started walking her). We were looking at a stall and when a dog came over I naively thought Lizzie would be ok, but again without warning, she jumped and had her paws around the other dogs head - without the harness I would not have been able to pull Lizzie away, and I would not want to be responsible for another dog or Lizzie being injured. Lizzie is a great dog, but because she has been in rescue for such a long time, she gets confused by other dogs' body language and is relying on her new lovely family to make sure she is safe. I would urge you to use the harness so you have full control of her on necessary occasions. I can see why you think she would prefer just to have the collar, and it is so nice of you to take such good care of her and I can see that you have already really fallen for her - but I beg you please, please use the harness, it is best to be safe than sorry, she needs you to protect her and keep her safe. Laws have changed now, and it would be so awful if something that could have been avoided happens. Please do not trust her around other dogs, she needs your guidance and support and protection, as she has limited life experience. I hope you don't think I am undermining you, as this is not my intention, you are doing a great job, but please please use the harness and I fully understand why you perhaps thought it was better not to. Please keep in touch x
Underdog_Rescue

Hi there,

Firstly, please don't worry about giving us the benefit of your experience of Lizzie. We absolutely will not take offence because we all want what is best for her and that's all that matters.

I can totally echo your experiences of her when meeting other dogs, she's hyperfocused on them and waits until she's close enough to make contact before she lunges (we were forewarned and used the harness on our first and second walks so at first sign of a curling lip and feeling her begin to pull she was instantly taken away from the other dog so no contact was made which is how it has to be). I've already picked this up and we are walking her away from other dogs so that we all get used to each other.

The harness is absolutely the best way to ensure she's not hurt when being pulled away from a situation and we are working with it when we know there are other dogs around.

The reason for using the collar this morning was that when we walked her around midnight last night we tried the collar midway through the walk (in a totally empty park) we found her to be more responsive to gentle changes in direction and within a few minutes was trotting by our side without any tension in the lead which was a big improvement on the earlier walk where she was constantly straining and seemed very tense.

Compared to when she's on the harness she seemed much more relaxed and playful with us as it appeared she could tell our relaxed mood better through the collar.

We'll be walking her in about an hour or so using the harness as it's a busier time of day and will see what difference using the collar has made to her on-harness behaviour. The collar experiment is all about us being able to communicate with Lizzie and her to communicate back via the lead without using too much tension and isn't a long term plan.

We really appreciate the ongoing support and will keep you in touch with how she's getting on.
Your advice is well noted and we are absolutely erring on the side of caution as we want her to be as happy and safe as possible.

On another note I'm taking her to the vet on Monday for a general health check, is there anything other than what's on this thread that I need to know?
Purple Poppy

Post by Purple Poppy »

:thanks.gif: for taking such good care of her.

I did notice that Lizzie shook her head a bit last week, so I wiped her ears with baby wipes. In my opinion I think her teeth have seen better days and I was planning on buying a dog toothbrush and toothpaste but was worried I may cause more harm than good, so maybe it might be a good idea to ask your vet for his opinion on her teeth and the best way to clean them. She has x 2 skin tags, one under her chin and one on the side of her body, maybe the vet could get rid of them easily. Other than that I am not aware of anything else. You could get in contact with Mark Nelson at Westerham Surgery and get him to transfer Lizzie's notes to your new vets.
Underdog_Rescue

That's cool, the new vet already has his details and will be requesting.
I noticed the skin tags, don't think they're an issue and will likely get her teeth cleaned if the vet thinks it's going to help.

She certainly seems to be in good health other than being a little tired from the walks so we are not going all out with long walks straight away, better to build her fitness up gradually!

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”