Poo Query

cobden28

Poo Query

Post by cobden28 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Can anyone throw some light on a poo problem I have with Aristotle and Cherub the toothless Pom? Both dogs are fed on exactly the same food - currently Pedigree Chum tinned dogfood with Small Bite mixer - and because they both eat exactly the same quantity of exactly the same food I'd expect what comes out the other end to be exactly the same, too.

What Aristotle produces is nice and firm almost knobbly in firmness, but Cherub's poos are very soft and squashy. They both produce their poo's on predictable occasions and neither has any problem in actually producing the poo, and as they both are in rude health I don't think it's anything I really need worry about. But is it just because dogs, like people, have different metabolisms that makes their poos so very different?

Incidentally when I took them both to the vet last week for a weigh-in/flea drops/tapeworm tablets, Cherub had slimmed down to 2.7 kilo's which is near on what a Pom should weigh in at. I was told that she could do with a bit more cover on her ribs now so the rations for both of them have been increased by 50% with the next weigh-in in three months' time.

Aristotle weighed in at a whopping 8.9 kilo's last November when he had his booster jab, and it's his weight loss that has been most impressive; he's now down to 5.8 kilo's and again I've been told he can do with a bit more cover on his ribs. My vet says that dogs aren't always suited to being at the 'correct' weight for the breed according to the KC breed standards - I was aiming for 2.5 kilo's for Cherub and 5.5 for Aristotle, but if the vet says it's OK for them to have a bit more coverage on their ribs then neither my dogs nor I will argue with that :D .

Bertie and Pippa

Re: POO QUERY

Post by Bertie and Pippa » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I think, like humans, some dogs have more sensitive stomachs than others and some foods suit some and others not so much. I gave my first dog Pedigree Chum, but soon learned by him pebble dashing the house with his poo as it gave no warning that that dog food was too rich for him, which I have since heard that Pedigree Chum is a rich dog food and can affect a lot of dogs stomachs. So it may be Cherub is a bit more sensitive than Aristotle.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Well I might as well get it out of the way first - Pedigree is not a good food. Having said that, some dogs do well on any food* while others don't, as you say, they are all different. Pedigree contains a lot of derivatives and they don't stick to the same sources, so if there is something in the food that Cherub doesn't do so well with it will be hard to pin it down (Pedigree change source due to market conditions and seasonal variation, which to me just suggests changing to keep the price and therefore profit at the same level - other food manufacture's manage to stick to the same source all year round but will usually be more expensive).
Cherub may simply need a diet that is higher in fibre, such as NatureDiet. There is a very good supplement called ProFibre but by the time you've paid for that and Pedigree you might be better off just getting a higher quality dog food.

* Bit of a caveat: better quality foods use better quality protein sources. The nutritional info is meaningless if the source of that nutrition is low quality. A food that has high protein may seem ideal, but if that protein comes from a low quality source then the liver and kidneys have to work much harder, which can lead to problems later in life. Pedigree uses plant derivatives for protein (as well as meat derivatives) but it doesn't specify the plants (except for Sugar Beet Pulp). Plant proteins can be harder on the liver and kidneys than meat protein. Pedigree have a Q&A on their website which is quite telling - they regularly mention that they 'meet' EU dog food standards (not exceed). This is meant to reassure you, but they don't mention that every dog food on the market also meets these standards, even the very cheapest supermarket foods - they wouldn't be allowed to sell them otherwise. It's not difficult to meet the standards if those standards aren't very high.

A bit more about Pedigree
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-fo ... s-in-jelly

And NatureDiet
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-fo ... diet-adult

All About Dog Food is an excellent site for researching dog food and has a very helpful forum.

ShazJ

Post by ShazJ » Mon May 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Dogs, like us, have different metabolisms. What you feed your dog is your choice and if they're happy and healthy you don't need to worry. Having said that, the EU standard means it shouldn't kill a dog within 9 months..... Food for thought for us? Having had various pure and cross breeds over the last 25 years I've gone natural. They love it, far less poop to clear up (no fillers) and works out very cost effective. Just means I have to fill 14-16 tubs once a week.. And remember to defrost it so the smaller two don't get too cold. Can feed it frozen to medium and larger dogs. Have to commend whoever came up with BARF as an acronym!

Return to “Food, Diet, Nutrition & Recipes”