Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Dogs that have found their forever home
Shoura

Re: Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Post by Shoura »

Thank you Jim for your advice! Wise words which I will endeavour to put into practice!

Fredds had a visitor today! Lovely Helen who brought him here two weeks ago and who lives very near by, came over for a cuppa and chat 😄. Fredds was delighted to see her and I think she was pleased to see how happy and relaxed he seems! thumbs.gif thumbs.gif
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

I'm very pleased that Fredds saw Helen as this lady is an important person to Fredds and is positive link to his past. Shoura has come along way with Fredds and Helen can help with his adaption to his new life. I'm very proud of all the progress Shoura and her pack have made with Fredds. I'm also sure that all who've known Fredds feel the same way.
Keep doing what you are doing so well.
There's a great future for you and your pack, we are all here should you need us.
terrierlover65

Post by terrierlover65 »

Hello Shoura I was trying to contact Peter.... and somehow I have found my way to you. So I'm sending my very good wishes to you and yours. I am so delighted for Fredds. I have been following his fortunes for what seems like ages hoping that he would find somewhere wonderful to live and someone wonderful to live with. Fredds you've hit the jackpot!........

I actually came online to get a bit of practical advice! My Benny(adopted just under 10 months ago) has a tiny bald patch just above his bbe :smiley-bounce016.gi: autiful. heart shaped nose that has caught the sun. I was wondering if Peter, or any one, has any idea what to treat it with if anything.....hm?
Best wishes to all
Terrierlover65
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

I would put a bit of sudocreme on for now and then use children's sunscreen when he goes out ....the waterproof one thumbs.gif
heleny

Post by heleny »

How to start Sunday off on a good note? Have a coffee in the sunshine with Shoura and her three dogs. It is just heart warming to see Fredds so happy and settled - his day had definitely come to find happiness and Shoura is most certainly the right person for Fredds. He gave me a lovely greeting before settling down to listen to our conversation - Fredds always was a bit nosey! Shoura understands his quirks and foibles (as well as his fantastic good points) and will always be there to help and support him as he settles, giving him all the time and the space that he needs. Thank you Shoura!
Shoura

Post by Shoura »

Morning all!

Fredds was introduced to Stephen who does the gardening this morning....and he didn’t like Stephen at al!! Stephen was very good and didn’t look at him and knows not to touch him, and he and I just stood and chatted for a while, but Fredds just barked at him in a very disapproving way throughout! So I had to shut all dogs in the living room while Stephen was here, which was fine.

BUT: next weekend my sister and brother in law will be coming over for an evening and I’m not sure how to do the introductions to get the relationship off to a better start than with Stephen. I’m wondering whether it would be best to meet on neutral ground and maybe all go for a little walk together? Obviously they realise they mustn’t try and interact with him at all, but it would be good if Fredds can relax while they’re here!

Fredds took to my friend Kim very readily and has even jumped onto her lap! Maybe because she’s a woman??

Advice/suggestions greatly appreciated please!

Fredds doing his duty as hot water bottle!!
BAA5EBCD-A0B3-47EF-BF8E-1E34E1A82B67.jpeg
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Fredds doing his duty as hot water bottle
Forgive me, Shoura, for mentioning it but you are now doing your duty as Fredds' support! Seriously, that picture is wonderful: Fredds has claimed you. It may also be the clue to his attitude to Stephen. Not only could it be the perceived challenge of another male but Fredds may pick up on a slight - very slight - formality with someone who works for you which is not there when you are with a close friend. I have Harpo and Zeppo playing "Good cop, bad cop" with visitors as a double act. Fredds may feel he has do it single handed. As Lynne says, terriers are always (too) eager to take on responsibilities …

If it's any consolation I thought that I would never have a social life after H & Z arrived. For the first three months they had to be in a crate before I could let anyone into the same room. Used in a positive way - as a place of safety and security - a crate can be a very useful tool. When the boys settled more Zeppo - having finally adopted me - could be trusted with visitors. With Harpo I found that slipping on a very light half-check collar and lead kept him connected enough to settle in the presence of other people without having to "meet and greet". Now it's possible - mostly - to control a situation by voice.

Fredds has lots of baggage to unpack and to come so far in three weeks is really encouraging. Thank heaven you've found each other! thumbs.gif
Chrissy M

Post by Chrissy M »

Lovely photo :0) Fredds must love to have someone to be that close too :goodjob.gif: the best hot water bottle there is !
Christinetully

Post by Christinetully »

Oh Shoura! Thank you for understanding and loving our little Fredds 'warts and all'! He's having such a great time with you - Reading the updates brought tears to my eyes - he is so special and adorable even though you can never take for granted that he's 'over' his past terrors. I will always remember, undoing, mending and putting back Fredds broken harness (he'd chewed through it).I was terrified of him getting out of it and escaping! It was a VERY long and slow process and I always felt it cemented our relationship. I too am hugely impressed by your THREE longline/extending lead management! thumbs.gif
I hope you have a great weekend with your family. I'm sure your plan for meeting on neutral ground and walking together, in combination with Jim's excellent advice above for meeting dogs (!), will be a good start. Shortly after Fredds came to Gatwick I had my niece staying with me on my day for walking at the kennels. I know she's female but Fredds was more nervous in the early days. My niece met us at my car and accompanied Fredds and me on a good walk, we were chatting away (she made no eye contact or approach to Fredds) and at the end we sat down on the grass in the sunshine. She didn't look at or speak to Fredds whose curiosity got the better of him. He cautiously went over and sniffed at her, turned on his back and had a good wriggle on the grass! Keep the pictures and updates coming - it's a real joy to see him snuggling up to you and exploring with your other two! love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif
Mind you, I'm surprised he didn't fancy a dip with your others! He loved paddling with me in the streams - always swam if he was in a deep enough place - I narrowly avoided joining him on many occasions! LOL xx
Shoura

Post by Shoura »

Fredds and Tiggy had a set-to earlier today...Fredds had dug up a manky old bone in the garden and had been guarding it....he got cross when I shut them inside while I removed the bone and he and Tiggy had a punch-up! No harm done and they waited side by side for their dinner 10 minutes later and were sharing the sofa later on 😂😂
C7142B43-FC8C-43E6-87BF-89DCE77DC9E2.jpeg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”