Bertie Mastiff DofB 16.03.13 Dorking Surrey

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Bertie Mastiff DofB 16.03.13 Dorking Surrey

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Homed
bertie1rps20180614_131436.jpg
Bertie's Story: Bertie's family was threatened with losing their accommodation as their new landlord would not allow a large dog. They also had twins on the way. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving his life. Bertie is neutered, chipped and fully vaccinated. Bertie was in foster in North London then came back to kennels in Guildford whilst awaiting his new family.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.

Bertie4.jpg
bertie2F7447A68-65A7-46C7-80CA-98EE352843CD.jpeg.jpg
bertie3b3small.jpg

Bertie's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information:
15.04.18: Urgent dog- dies this weekend...
"Bertie is a mastiff cross breed. We are no longer able to keep him (our landlord served us with eviction, only will take notice back if we re-home him). I am expecting twins very soon, and we are in a 1 bed flat in London. He's a big softy loves food and attention. We have him since he was 1 month old, and he’s now 5 years old. He’s travelled in and out of the country with us on holiday’s. We asked family & friends but unfortunately they either already have animals, or cannot to commit. He's fully house trained and we would not recommend for him to be rehomed with other dogs/cats, as he is not too good with them. He's good with children from age 6+ , he's very good with little ones also, but because he's so big he doesn't understand that they are too small to play with him. Please help, we are heartbroken to rehome our boy, but do not want him ending up in wrong hands or getting pts "
That is all they have put. Posted 15th April. Will be put to sleep on the 25th if no space. Thanks for looking Lynne and considering x Carolyn
Steve A

Re: Bertie Mastiff DofB 16.03.13 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Steve A »

I met Bertie today. He was a little nervous in the kennel and already harnessed, Lynne accompanied me, he stood quietly while I placed a lead on him. I used chain leads as I had been advised he grabs.On exiting the kennels he made an initial grab but stopped as soon as we got into stride. He walked beautifully, gently plodding along. On the walk on two separate occasions we met other RR guests and stood aside to let them pass. On both occasions Bertie was impeccable although he looked towards them he stood calmly and showed no reaction particularly impressive as one of the dogs was reactive. Bertie repeated his calm persona on our return to the kennel yard there were two dogs on the way to exercise again Bertie showed no reaction. He does become agitated in the kennel but on today's experience calms when outside. I found him to be a gentle easy to handle lad.
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Hello Bertie love4.gif
DSC03139 - Copy.JPG
DSC03123.JPG
DSC03122.JPG
DSC03117.JPG
DSC03134.JPG
DSC03130.JPG
DSC03138.JPG
DSC03139.JPG
DSC03127.JPG
DSC03125.JPG
Gorgeous big boy xxx
Heart fill with love.gif]
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I had my first walk with Bertie yesterday. What a gorgeous big hunk he is! A very easy walk, he plods along, no pulling. Afterwards we had a cuddle in his kennel. love4.gif I am looking forward to getting to know him better.
2018-04-28 09.24.23.jpg
2018-04-28 09.27.52.jpg
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I had a very wet walk with Bertie today. He was not the least bit bothered by the rain or the mud. At the end of the walk we caught up behind Rebecca walking Rolo. Bertie kept an eye on them but did not react or even bark, it will be interesting to see how he handles getting nearer dogs on future walks. On this walk Bertie enjoyed taking treats which he didn't do on Saturday. He is still a bit aloof when walking but back at the kennel he enjoyed a cuddle with me and I even got a kiss. Gorgeous boy!
DSC_0325.JPG
Shaking of the rain!
Shaking of the rain!
DSC_0323.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

The last couple of walks with Bertie have been in the sunshine which has been lovely for both of us. Bertie is a very chilled out boy on his walks. He enjoys munching on some grass and strolling along. He doesn't pull on the lead and doesn't walk that fast so it is always very leisurely walk with him.

It is a great pleasure getting to know this lovely lad. love4.gif

2018-05-05 09.29.07.jpg
2018-05-05 09.28.17-2.jpg
2018-05-05 09.28.18.jpg
2018-05-05 09.29.27.jpg
2018-05-05 09.29.38.jpg
2018-05-09 09.17.43.jpg
Enjoying an ear scratch
Enjoying an ear scratch
nada.c

Re: Bertie Mastiff DofB 16.03.13 Guildford Kenns

Post by nada.c »

I met Bertie for the first time on Wednesday when he joined me and a potential new volunteer for a walk. He gave me a very happy greeting in his kennel and was very obliging in me getting his harness on for his walk. I'd read that Bertie can be worried by other dogs, but as he is so responsive on the lead, it was really easy asking him to keep moving when we passed any other dogs. Back at his kennel he gave me some cuddles and I gave him some little sausages as a thank you for a lovely walk. Bertie is a scrumptious boy love4.gif
Jojo18

Post by Jojo18 »

Oh I love Bertie !! He softly melts when you walk in his kennel ,Then excitement at seeing his leads . He's very responsive to commands, a little lead play followed by Ahha and he stops immediately , He's a big dollop who happily plods or slowly walks along no pulling surprisingly for a dog his size.
when we've met offlead or unknown dogs Bertie watches , sits or stands and easily moves on as you call his name. He loves attention , cuddles and treats. He's been loved and it shows and is an all round wonderful boy .
pits

Post by pits »

f3small.jpg
f2 small.jpg
f1small.jpg
Bertie Bertie Bertie Bert. He is awesome.
bertiesmall.jpg
pits

Post by pits »

I took Bertie the chunky hunk out for a walk again today. I always look forward to meeting him. It was another hot day so we had a leisurely and relaxed stroll. He's strong sometimes but he's got a great personality and is great fun to be with. He's an amazing companion for life.
b3small.jpg
b2small.jpg
b1small.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”