Max Staffie DofB 06.11 Orpington

Dogs that have found their forever home
RosC

Re: Max Staffie DofB 06.11 Orpington Temp Foster

Post by RosC »

Wonderful to see Max relaxing and enjoying himself. Have a good week Max :havefun.gif:
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

We extended Max's foster to two weeks because he was suffering with a cold, runny nose etc and we wanted to give him more time. We are having to bring him back today though but will continue to give him breaks while the right person is found for him. Taking a leaf out of someone else's post I'm going to list what Max likes, doesn't like and some of our other observations.

First off, Max is a super little dog who will thrive with the right adopter, and a quiet and settled routine. He really is the most affectionate little fella who wants to spend time with you. We'd take him today if our work situation wasn't so complicated. Anyway, summary below and then I'll do another post with pictures and maybe some video if I can technically master the process!

Stuff Max likes

People - stops to say hello to everyone if he can! He's stopped for car mechanics, workmen, OAP's and children and is perfectly behaved.
Getting up late (7.30 - 8.00am is his preferred time) followed by a nice half hour walk before his breakfast.
Max is really affectionate - he loves cuddles and to be as close to you as possible.
Unlike other staffies it's not his lower back he likes being scratched it's his shoulder blades on either side - he absolutely loves it!
Sitting in the sunshine. Our previous dog never liked sitting in the garden but Max loves it - he will jump straight up on the bench with you and sit there enjoying the sun on his face
He loves to sleep on the bed with you but will also stay in his dog bed if told to (he's cheeky and takes a bit of coaxing)!
He takes treats really gently and he has no food issues. You can stroke him while he eats, even put your hands on or in the bowl. And he likes a treat of peanut butter licked from your fingers!
Max likes to feel safe, have some quiet and to have a settled routine.

Stuff Max doesn't like

Max doesn't like unexpected noises - especially those from outside. He is not bothered by loud noises when he is on a walk - he can walk up busy high streets with cars and lorries and they don't bother him. It's only outside things that he can hear from indoors or in the garden that upset him.
If he hears noises or sees people / cars from the inside the house it causes him to alarm bark - he's a vocal staffie. His ears are magnificent! But this also means his hearing is amazing and he does react to any strange noises. Noises seem to be his biggest cause of anxiety.
He's afraid of geese in the park. I don't blame him....I don't like them either!
Cats or pigeons coming into his garden - a cat just jumped on the fence looking for a pigeon in the tree and Max was not cat friendly! I mean the cat didn't even ask permission....

Observations

Max's fur is so soft it's amazing!
Max is not bothered by loud household noises. For a dog who is bothered by noises from outside he is unfussed by food blenders, hair dryers etc.
I noticed on his thread that people mentioned him looking up at you when he walks. Early on I came to realise this was anxiety. When walking away from home he would look up at you (almost asking to go home where he feels safe), but when I headed back towards home he didn't look up and just put his head down to get home. However, now that he is into a routine he wants to go out for a walk once he has got up (he's a late riser). We've had some really enjoyable morning walks at about 8.30am.
Max really needs to feel safe and have someone who has time to invest in him and give him reassurance and a routine that he likes. I think he would suit a dog experienced person, couple or family who can give him reassurance. In my opinion he needs company and not to be regularly left for long periods.
He is calmer in a house with less visual stimuli (he barks at people if he can see them) so a house where it's not possible for him to get a vantage point would be best.
At first Max wasn't eating that much but now that he has settled a lot more his appetite is back and healthy. He's been relishing his food.
On walks he is not affected by the presence of dogs nearby - they don't seem to bother him. We haven't had him interact with dogs at all so can't say how he reacts in close proximity. He is an easy walk - not a puller at all.
He travels well in the car - no travel sickness but it would be advisable to have him secured in the back with dog bars (as he tends not to have boundaries and jumps from the boot into the back of the car).
He does have an old injury to his back right leg which means he can't seem to bend it as well as the other leg (it's only slight). The vet said there is evidence of injury but not possible to say what caused it without knowing his history. He believes there is a little bit of arthritis in the affected joint. It doesn't affect him walking (we did two 4-mile walks today) or going up and down the stairs (we have to get him to slow down)!
He can get a little excited when getting his leads to walk and sometimes will try to grab them. As long as you do it nice and calmly (and don't leave the end of the lead dangling enticingly for him) he is fine.

I'll now put on some pictures of lovely Max.....
Last edited by lonewolf on Sun 15 Apr 2018 21:42, edited 2 times in total.
lonewolf

Re: Max Staffie DofB 06.11 Gatwick Kenns / Orpington Foster

Post by lonewolf »

He doesn't take up much room....
He doesn't take up much room....
Close-up.jpg
Egg chair 2.jpg
Egg chair.jpg
Head tilt.jpg
After a walk and breakfast he likes to chill in the sun (when we get some)!
After a walk and breakfast he likes to chill in the sun (when we get some)!
Bench.jpg
These ears are made for hearing things...
These ears are made for hearing things...
A trip to Knole Park
A trip to Knole Park
Log.jpg
Selfie.jpg
Wolf.jpg
Holding his kong but too tired to stay awake
Holding his kong but too tired to stay awake
Stick.jpg
Upside down.jpg
Sweet boy!
Sweet boy!
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

He loves his shoulders scratched!

Sunbathing....

Play time
RosC

Re: Max Staffie DofB 06.11 Gatwick Kenns

Post by RosC »

0093.gif It looks like Max has had a brilliant time with you! :thanks.gif:
Come on Max's forever home thumbs.gif
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Since posting last time Max has been out on a couple of extended breaks with us. He's back in kennels for a couple of days smiley-sad010.gif but will be back with us at the weekend.

Max is such a fun dog - he's not massively into long walks but he adores running around the garden (especially getting chased). When he plays he bounces rather than runs - we think he's a bit like Tigger (see video later). He's beginning to get used to more and more sounds. The dustmen came by the other day banging and crashing (which would normally have caused him a bit of alarm) but this time he didn't react at all. Good job Max! There are still some noises that he's unfamiliar with but he's learning day by day.

He loves trips to the outside cafe at the local garden centre and is impeccably behaved. He doesn't bother you for food and will just lay down and relax while you eat and drink.

I've mentioned it before but Max's fur is soft and glossy. And the secret is revealed.....vitamin D! Max loves the sun, he seeks out its' rays outside and also indoors (see pictures below). Our previous dog never liked laying outside at all but Max will go outside and lay down for 10 minutes, get up and come inside to cool off, and then go back out again.

Oh I think I mentioned it before but Max loves cuddles!!
We couldn't find the sun god the other day and then there he was......
We couldn't find the sun god the other day and then there he was......
Even a ray of sunshine indoors will do the job
Even a ray of sunshine indoors will do the job
Bedroom sun.jpg
Beautiful boy
Beautiful boy
20180504_175421.jpg
Ears 2.jpg
Garden.jpg
Hedgehog.jpg
A peculiar perch
A peculiar perch
He's a quirky little chap!
He's a quirky little chap!
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

A few videos for anyone interested in Max. There's one of him bouncing around the garden, one of him drinking from the hosepipe (once he realised he didn't need to attack the water!), and one showing him having his after bath blow dry (as long as you don't blow the hairdryer directly in his face he likes it).

Last edited by lonewolf on Wed 23 May 2018 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Polpat

Post by Polpat »

Wonderful write ups, wonderful dog, wonderful photos/videos.....have to say - wonderful garden too - not surprising he looks so happy 0093.gif !! What an adorable, handsome, gorgeous dog Max is - so compact, cheeky, well rounded (personality...not suggesting he is a chubster!) and all round superstar. I love his face and those fantastic ears - utterly gorgeous. Some lucky human is going to strike gold when they find this boy....lets hope it happens soon love4.gif
Jojokate

Post by Jojokate »

Brilliant videos and updates on Max. It really shows off his personality.
Thankyou for giving him some time out . Looks so so happy

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”