We have been asked questions of late about the names of our dogs, so let us share with you how we arrive at naming our dogs
Original names If a dog comes in with a name we always try to retain that name and feel if anyone is to change that name is must be the new owner not ourselves or the fosterer. There are a few exceptions. We will not call our staffies after fighters or pigs. They are worthy of the best and to name a dog in jest is at the dog's expense, so the joke isn't funny. Some names are just too popular and our brain cells over the years are sorely tested so we may modify like another Jack Russell coming in as Jack; may be called Jack Dee or Jackanory, Zac or Mac. We also have a 'bad luck' name 'Buster'. This has sad associations with us and we will always change a dog's name if they come in with this..we do this to lift any fears or superstitions we hold. We declare this on homing and the new owners are welcome to recall the dog their original name. Finally if a dog has had a very sorry past and its name is through a microchip we may well change their name to give them a new start with new associations. 'Bob' may have become 'Bad boy' in their mind by being called harshly.
New names for strays Yes our names are imaginative because we try not to call a dog the same name as another. We have a long memory for names so our dog's rescue name is unique to them. We ask our fosterers to train the dog into this name and not to change it. This becomes the dog's identity within our rescue and families tuning in to this dog will already identify with the dog's name by the time they meet them. Again it is their choice to change the dog's name, but we ask our homes not to change immediately; but to change when they have that feeling 'they are ours for good'. If after 3-4 months homing that dog comes back depending on the level of contact we have had with the family and the length of time we have known our dog, we may retain the original rescue name or feel to change and call our returned dog by their changed name.
When a dog is renamed by their new family our Rescue name usually is bracketed next to the new name for identification purposes of people searching for that dog to find what has happened to it. If a dog stays very close to our rescue that bracket ceases to have purpose and is removed Moss's original rescue name has disappeared as has Poncho's and Mica's
Having a problem where people are choosing to shorten names or use a familiar abbreviation for our dogs. It may sound very friendly but...We choose our names carefully and usually the familiar 'similar' has already been used and is in our minds relates to another dog. At the moments we have Nells being called little Nellie and David being called Dave. Please for the sake of the dog can you stick to the rescue name so the dog gets consistency of name. You might not like a name and want all our dog to have a looser, 'e' ending name, or less formal name but please respect the dogs Rescue name its the only consistency they have apart from kennel routine.
You can't train the terrier out of a terrier..they are their own persons!
Rescue Remedies Statistics
Registered Charity No.1139407
- ↳ URGENT APPEAL FOR FUNDS
- ↳ GUILDFORD SATURDAY 8th December XMAS CHARITY WALK!
- ↳ Rescue Remedies Christmas 2018
- ↳ Support from Pets Corner
- ↳ GATWICK KENNELS - PROJECTS
- MEET OUR DOGS ... AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION 1, 2 & 3!
- ↳ 1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS
- ↳ 2. STAFFIERESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES
- ↳ 3. TERRIERRESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES
- ↳ Dogs that are CAT TESTED
- ↳ Coming Soon!
- ↳ Reserved or on Trial Adoption
- ↳ Dogs Rehomed
- ↳ Rainbow Bridge
- RESCUE REMEDIES DIARY
- ↳ Rescue Remedies Diary
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION / FAQ
- ↳ ONLINE FORMS AND RESCUE CONTACT
- ↳ Forum Tutorials & Forum News
- ↳ Donate by Paypal here
- ↳ Websites, Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
- WANT TO HOME OR FOSTER A DOG? - HOW OUR PROCESS WORKS!
- ↳ HOMING PROCEDURE ...
- ↳ FOSTERING
- DONATIONS, FUNDRAISING & EVENTS
- ↳ Donations & Gift Aid!
- ↳ Fundraising
- ↳ Free Money
- ↳ RR Merchandise for Sale
- ↳ Rescue Remedies Christmas Fundraising Video
- ↳ Christmas Fundraising Video 2017
- ↳ Christmas Chat 2017
- ↳ Introduce Yourself
- ↳ My Dog
- ↳ Dog Chat
- ↳ Behaviour & Training
- ↳ Competitions
- ↳ Crafts, Art & DIY
- ↳ Dogs as Human Support & Therapy
- ↳ Education, Workshops, Courses & Seminars
- ↳ Equipment & Toys
- ↳ Food, Diet, Nutrition & Recipes
- ↳ Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines
- ↳ Holiday Lets & Destinations
- ↳ Insurance
- ↳ Legal Questions & Chat
- ↳ News, Telly, Videos, Stories & Poems
- ↳ Rescue, Fundraising & Animal Welfare Chat
- ↳ Services & Care Arrangements: Boarding, Kennels, Walking, Sitting & Exercise Fields
- ↳ Shows & Events
- ↳ Sport & Activities
- ↳ Wishing Well
- ↳ Dogs Who Need or Can Live With Other Dogs
- ↳ Lost & Found
- ↳ Suggestion Box - Make Them Here But YOU Volunteer!
- ↳ ***URGENT!***
- ↳ How YOU Can Help!
- ↳ General Chat - Non-Dog Related
- ↳ Live Events
- ↳ Christmas Foster Appeal
- ↳ 4. CATS NEEDING HOMES
- ↳ Give a dog a foster place for Christmas
- ↳ Sleeping Ruff Campaign
- ↳ Sleeping Ruff Fundraiser October 2nd to 9th Total so far £5497
- ↳ Sleeping Ruff Johans Daily Blog Now Active
- ↳ The Golden Roll of Honour - THANK YOU
- ↳ Charity Walk - from Gatwick Kennels 26th August 2018
- ↳ Mongolia Rally 2018