Walking Wellie & Boot Recommendations

Members Lounge to discuss what you like - non-dog related!
Wander Woman

Walking Wellie & Boot Recommendations

Post by Wander Woman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi all,

Autumn has arrived and Winter is coming - and I need a pair of wellies - or thigh-high waterproof boots! I thought this would be a good place to ask people for their recommendations as the volunteer dog walkers must wear comfortable boots/wellies and most of us have dogs that need walking - so we require sturdy footwear during this time of year. :)

I had an old pair of cheaper wellies I got from Millets years ago, but they aren't comfortable to walk any great distance in and the quality isn't very good. I have wide feet, and find Salomon walking shoes and hiking boots comfortable - but I need wellies that are comfortable to walk in and as grippy as possible. I lost a shoe into deep, manurey mud :shock: during a dog walk a couple weeks ago and do not wish to repeat the experience! I have admired Sarah K's leather boots from afar (in photos) for a while now too. :lol:

I contemplated a pair of Hunter wellies but I have read that the quality isn't what it used to be and they may not be right for wide feet.

Recommendations / Help / Advice welcomed! Please help! :biggrin.gif:

Note: Any recommendations/criticisms in this thread are personal opinions only and do not reflect the views of the Rescue as an organisation! :)
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

gsdlover

Re: Walking Wellie & Boot Recommendations

Post by gsdlover » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:17 pm

I have got some Aigle's - not cheap but the most comfortable wellies for walking in and really hardwearing (they have a neoprene type lining) - i can't imagine me ever having to replace them as they look like they'll never wear out!

Uttings are quite a good place to buy online or SCATS sell them if you have one nearby.

gsdlover

Post by gsdlover » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Kim - i have sent you a PM although not sure if it actually went - can you let me know if you didn't receive it. :shock:

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Got the PM! Many thanks for the recommendation - those wellies look amazing! :)
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Kim

I use Hunters for the wet , Shire boots when dry, then when cold I wear my Tuffa Suffolk boots. Hope this helps :smiley-confused004.gif:

Debbie

anitas

Post by anitas » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 am

I have a cheap as chips pair of multicoloured wellies (need some colour on a dreary day!) but with no arch support in them they were killing my feet. A friend recommended a gel arch support insole from a sports shop & they are now heaven & my £10 wellies are still going strong 2 years later (I've probably given them the kiss of death saying that!).
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals"

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks guys! Any suggestions help, as that means I can try a few and see what works best for me! I agree too, that insoles can be very helpful and indeed do the trick! I have some in one of my pairs of hiking boots. They work a treat! :)

Sarahk

Post by Sarahk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi wander woman, my boots are Shires too, I wear them all weathers and they last if I take care of them (I often get slack !) - that means I should clean and wax them each time (but I dont !).

Best buy for them is online I think.
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire

nhelyer

Post by nhelyer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I used to wear Hunters but as someone already said, quality has become really poor. Two years ago I switched to Grubs Frostline and have never looked back. The Frostline version suits me best as I have rubbish circulation so permanently freezing feet. These wellies keep them toasty warm and are as comfortable as my hiking boots. I can happily walk for several hours in them. Neoprene 'top bit' also mean the tops don't flap about your calves. No half sizes but like others put an insole in and job done! Hope that helps!

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:31 am

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a pair of Aigle's. I hope they do the trick. Let me tell you, all those other boots are tempting! I think I may need multiple pairs! :lol:

Return to “General Chat - Non-Dog Related”