Podge Staffie DOB 01.11.09 New Romney Foster

Staffierescue dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption
johnfowle

Re: Podge Staffie DOB 1.11.2009 New Romney Foster

Post by johnfowle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Podge arrived in New Romney in January 2015 all "skin and bone". We knew that she was epileptic and had a severe condition which meant she had about half her total lung capacity; the vet thought she would live about five weeks.

She was put into our guest suite....the only available space at the time and reserved for our VIP canine guests and those requiring special attention and, of course, whenever our friends stay overnight. She was wearing a woollen jersey to keep her warm as she had a really bad bout of bronchitis which caused her to retch pretty well all the time. We tried all manner of remedies but none seemed to relieve the condition.....and she continued to cough and splutter for quite a few months. So she had survived the five week period suggested by the vet.

We decided to seek more advice on her condition and it was decided to try a bronchodilator with the intention of widening the bronchi and allow more air into her lungs.The first one we tried was successful initially, but then the condition returned. We were offered an alternative which is not registered in this country but has received glowing reports whenever and wherever it is used. An immediate improvement in her breathing, the occasional cough and clearing of her throat, but she remains on it to this day....now nearly 17 months later!!!!

She shares the sitting room with three other dogs who, together, make up the "Mob" She has her "moments" when she appears to mistake one of the others for an enemy, but nothing more than "handbags"; she is the normal weight for a small staffie, which she is; goes for brief walks every day and spends a lot of time in the garden just pottering around....she certainly can't chase the others too far, but she does try!!!!

She continues to have fits; rather more frequently now....sometimes twice within one week but, more usually, three or four a month. Poor little girl....she stiffens up and rolls onto her back. We kneel down beside her and comfort her for about five minutes by which time she has normally come out of it and staggers around for a couple of minutes....then, back to normal.

She is very affectionate, but not particularly keen on "cuddles", and I think prefers human company to canine. She loves her food and finishes off anything left by the others here.

johnfowle

Post by johnfowle » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:54 am

Podge has been with us for almost two years now, having been given five weeks to live in January/February 2016!!! She is doing remarkably well and, with her medication I see no reason why she hasn't a near normal life expectancy. She does still have a fit periodically....sometimes as frequently as two or three in a month....which could be a problem, but she comes out of them within five or six minutes with encouragement and gentle stroking, and moves as if nothing has happened very quickly.

Whilst she is good with both dogs and cats she should be fed separately as she will push her way forward to other residents' food unless watched carefully. She is most affectionate and will settle down beside you on the sofa, but she is definitely not a lap dog.

Considering her poor lung function she enjoys her walks, but prefers to be at home where she spends most of the time wandering in and out of the garden or asleep on one of the deep foam beds.

She welcomes visitors to the house as if she has known them all her life.

Podge does deserve a forever home....she has waited patiently for so long. Please do consider her.

SarahW

Post by SarahW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:19 pm

I only managed to get a one photos Podge when I visited John last month. Mainly because as soon as I point the camera at her she heads straight over for a cuddle! Podge really is a great dog who is so affectionate and such a happy soul. She is a social butterfly and adores the company of people. She looks fabulous with a glossy coat and is just the right weight. To look at her you would never know all the health issues she has had to contend with. She really would make a great companion for someone.
p1.jpg
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

SarahW

Post by SarahW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 pm

I saw Podge earlier today. She is looking fantastic! She was so chilled out hanging out with 'the mob' in John's living room. This darling girl is such a loving staff. She would love to have a forever home where she could be centre of attention and get all the cuddles and fuss that she wants. I love catching up with Podge, she is a little ray of sunshine! love4.gif
p2.jpg
With her foster sister Zena, waiting to see if any roast turkey is heading their way!
p1.jpg
Podge and Zena
p4.jpg
Podgetastic!

johnfowle

Post by johnfowle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Podge hasn't had a "proper" fit for nearly six weeks now....she is on "Pexion" for her seizures and it is certainly controlling them well. Recently she has been developing "mini" fits when she doesn't know where she is or what time of day it is, and will mouth you quite hard whch she has never done before. Most of the day now she spends asleep and will only go into the garden if I accompany her. I took her to the vet earlier this week and she said that the Pexion was preventing Podge from going into a full fit so, I suppose, it is doing its job.....but still very distressing for both Podge and us, seeing her in such an uncontrolled state. She obviously knows when it's going to happen as she rushes over to either Sylvie or me before the event knowing she will receive both reassurance and support until she comes out of it.

Otherwise, the vet said she was in good shape and her poor lung function, which she has had all the time she has been in "rescue" was no worse.

Podge has done so well over the last two and a bit years and, although I thought we might be losing her last week, I'm hopeful she'll be with us a while longer yet.

SarahW

Post by SarahW » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 am

Always a joy to catch up with darling Podge, I was so happy to get cuddle time with one of my favourite girls this week. Despite all of her health issues Podge is still the happy, affectionate girl she has always been. She has done astoundingly well health wise at John's and mixes with his 'mob' brilliantly but I would love to see her in her forever home where she could get as many cuddles as she wanted.
2018-04-25 16.50.05.jpg
I just love this beautiful, cheeky girl!
2018-04-25 16.49.03-1.jpg
With foster brother Kingsley
2018-04-25 16.44.21.jpg
Enjoying fuss from my dad
2018-04-25 16.44.10.jpg
With foster sister Zena

Katharine

Post by Katharine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 am

Hello lovely Podge. Princess Podge is queen of August. As it should be. Greetings from RR Albert and little Skye. love4.gif

Return to “2. STAFFIERESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES”