Staffierescue dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption
Rescue Remedies

Suitable Toys for Your Staffie: Ideas on What Works

Post by Rescue Remedies » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:04 pm

For starters

Rescue Remedies

Re: Suitable toys for your Staffie: Come on what works

Post by Rescue Remedies » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Nylabones are great for strong chewers from puppies upwards; last ages and excellent for cleaning teeth. They're the only toys the girls have; they're the only ones that last more than five minutes!!! :wink:

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Boomer ball!
Chuck loves chasing his round the garden. I did read that they can damage teeth if the dog is too obsessed with trying to bite it, but he only pushes it round with his paws so it does the job perfectly.

And a kong, if that counts as a toy...
:)

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Another vote for the Boomer Ball :)

Would also recommend the Nina Ottosson Plastic Dog Dizzy, it's a treat/dry food toy, shaped like a ball but with flattened top and bottom and weighted in a way so that the dog has to put some thought into how to get the food out, rather than just rolling it around the floor until treats fall out.

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Tuffy extra strong ring are the only type that Buddy doesn't destroy, they are not cheap but they last forever

Rescue Remedies

Post by Rescue Remedies » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Posted by Wonderwoman

Kong Extreme - it's the black one.

Kong Wubba is also excellent. Not the animal-faced ones though. Only the tough fabric-covered ones.

Kong balls are also great... but they are expensive. But we've found them to be good value for money, as they last a long time. Otherwise we use solid rubber balls that we buy at Wilko or PAH. Nothing else stands up to Luna's jaws. Tennis balls are killed after about 4 throws.

One of the favourites for a while was a solid rubber ring tug - also obtained at Wilco. This also lasted a good long time. She has rope toys but prefers to run off with them and kill them, ripping them to bits, so we limit play with those.

I concur with the Boomer Ball suggestion. Although Luna becomes obsessed with biting hers. She cannot get her jaws around it - so it's the right size, but that doesn't stop her from biting it.

I also concur with the Nylabone suggestion - although Luna gets the really big ones!  Stagbars are also fantastic.

Luna's latest toy obsession is something called: the Hartz DuraPlay. It's a knobbly, rubbery ball. Luna's is blue.

This was actually a gift to us back when we were fostering Benny. This toy is a soft rubber, and it squeaks, but for some bizarre reason (texture?) Luna has not destroyed it. She has had endless hours of indoor football entertainment out of it and I owe Ruthi a massive thank you for sending it. Ruthi, I don't know where you acquired it, but I hope you didn't pay list price for it! Supposedly these can be had for about £3 online but I have only seen them for much more than that.

ShazJ

Post by ShazJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Any ball except the Kong balls are destroyed by both Milly and Nancy in one go........gets a tad expensive but the Kong balls work out as good value for money.

Agree with nylon based chews - they all love nylabones especially as they have the meaty flavoured centre (which stinks, my opinion but I love my dogs so I guess....).

I agree with some of the tuff toys. The three way tigger is brilliant EXCEPT they put a squeaky in the the centre! Why!? This makes it the weakest point. Staffies really don't need squeakies.

If you can cope, marrow bones are brilliant. If your butcher won't cut them into 10cm (3 inch) segments it's really easy with a large hacksaw. And they keep going back to the bone months after you reckon the smell/taste has gone. Best value ever, especially if you freeze the others. 99p for 10 chews......

ShazJ

Post by ShazJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Oh! And Milly loves chasing the solid football sized solid ball around. She can't get her teeth around it but she's doing a pretty good job with her nose and paws keeping it away from me. 2 people are more fun for her..... :D

ShazJ

Post by ShazJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Oops. The tigger is a TUGGER......

ShazJ

Post by ShazJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Both girls love the heavy rope toys ...... Except they learn to toss them. This is ok until it lands on something breakable, so please be warned. Other than that, also excellent. :)

ShazJ

Re: Suitable toys for your Staffie: Ideas on what works

Post by ShazJ » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:01 pm

Having just read Nancy's post I would also add deer antlers. Again, another favourite with all of mine.....and Nancy as well.

Return to “2. STAFFIERESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES”