Keeping warm

Doggy-Related Discussions Organised by Topic

Keeping warm

Postby John » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

I have just returned from walking Kyla. It was very cold. :smiley-sad055.gif: So much so that I will buy her a coat to keep her warm (I had 4 layers on!).
I was wondering how much dogs feel the cold. Does it depend on the breed? the age? short coated dogs? Some people say dogs are very hardy and don’t need anything etc. Other people put a coat on their dog at the drop of a hat.
Any thoughts please.
John

Re: Keeping warm

Postby Fred R » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi John - I'd definitely recommend a coat for Kyla. All whippets and greyhounds should have a winter coat as did all my foster staffies. See attached photo.
sq829869.jpg
Fred R

Re: Keeping warm

Postby sweetpea » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Having four lurchers of all different hair types. ..a rough coat ,long coat ,wire coat and smooth coat i used to put coats on them whilst road walking but never offlead as they can overheat or become caught whilst running ....Now we only go up the woods offlead so they dont wear coats anymore even in the rain ......
Dogs that remain onlead may need a coat when the temperature drops .....you can buy lots of varietys of coats now ...if you can affordone equafleece are brilliant. ..my friend uses these in all weather's for her working dogs ....
For dry days the fleece jumpers are good love4.gif love4.gif
sweetpea

Return to Dog Chat