Hi..we're new...this is our story... Woody

The place to tell us all about your non-RR dog
inksoo

Hi..we're new...this is our story... Woody

Post by inksoo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:37 am

I've been re-reading the Patterdale rescue site with real interest, having first read it 2.5yrs ago.
At that point a 6 week old puppy and his sister had come through work (I'm a veterinary receptionist) with severe puppy hernias to be PTS by the breeder. Our veterinary ethics would not allow that and they were both signed over and repaired...and now needed homes. I'd always fancied a cheeky terrier so volunteered to take one home (one of the vets had his sister). We were complete dog novices...only ever had cats as pets, and I was advised by my colleague (certified dog behaviourist) DO NOT do it! But I like a challenge and we went ahead blindly....
That little wire-haired black and tan Fell Terrier called Woody is now 2.5yrs old and a wonderful addition to our family.
The early days were very difficult, he was head strong, nippy and hung off any item of clothing he could. We went to puppy classes and the trainer told me she'd once had a Patterdale and had to rehome him as he was untrainable and kept running away! Gulp what had we done?
Well we did something right...we have managed to raise a wonderful little dog, he does get an awful lot of attention, and the relationship he has with me is different to the one he has with my husband. Theirs is more rough and tumble and games. Mine is calmer, and we walk miles together across open fields enjoying the space. He is never on lead during our walks, I allow him to run ahead and disappear into ditches and long grass, but always keeping him focused on my whereabouts (with words normally, but a whistle if necessary) and he'll wait up ahead for me to catch up. If another dog approaches he'll stop and wait, until he's 'allowed' to meet. On lead can sometime be a bit snappy, but we've just had a week in Norfolk with lots of on lead meetings and he's coped brilliantly...with a 'nicely' command he'll go forward gently. We have also taught him that ROAD means STOP, and he'll wait to be clipped on lead.
He is feisty, needs a muzzle to see the vet, hates his front feet being touched, and will 'bite' us in protest...never breaks the skin, more like hard mouthing...BUT we understand him, and dealing with him calmly (and with the promise of a treat!) usually gets the job done.
So re-reading the Patterdale rescue site now make SO MUCH sense...I can relate to everything they say...and I would not be without my wonderful little dog for one second, he has enhanced our life beyond words! love4.gif
image.jpg

chillibean

Re: Hi..we're new...this is our story...

Post by chillibean » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi Inksoo, I really relate to your story. My first dogs almost 15 years ago were 2 Patterdale littermates (boy and girl), I had no idea what I was taking on! Over time I heard all the stories about how independent and strong willed Patties are and it all started to make sense! Both Chilli and Rio were off lead dogs and the only command they would obey reliably was to come back when their names were called - how lucky was I! I discovered Rescue Remedies and sister rescues last year and have been an avid follower ever since, learning more as I follow the stories. We lost Rio (the girl Patti) a couple of years ago and I was heartbroken as she was my shadow. Chilli, her brother, stopped eating and wasn't interested in anything so we decided we needed to get another dog to give him a reason to get up. It was way too early for me but we got a Kiss of love.gif young Parsons Russell terrier from a local rescue and he certainly pepped us all up! We named him Beano (of course he has many other names!) and he has many of the traits you describe. He has to be sedated at the vets, hates having his paws touched and is very mouthy - as you say never breaks the skin but makes his feelings known! We don't discourage him growling because we'd rather know how he's feeling.... Beanie can be reactive to some dogs but others he adores, he is wary of strangers but very loving once he knows you. He hasn't given up trying to play with Chilli who is nearly 15 now and I've finally grown to love him. Beanie's not an easy dog but he's very intelligent, great at agility, easy to train (unless it's to do with the vet) and he makes us laugh every day. Here's to terriers!

inksoo

Post by inksoo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:55 pm

How lovely...someone once said 'Life is Merrier with a Terrier'...and I can't argue with that! :smiley-bounce016.gi:

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:53 pm

I have never owned a patterdale ...always had JRT ....have RR Tom he is a JrtX mini EBT
and Sid a JRT both very affectionate and very loyal .....where one is the other isnt far away. ....Tom gives a growl when i pick thorns out of his coat and Sid cannot be touched when he is sleeping ...they both always growl ....neither have ever broken skin .
Some people dont understand terriers , they need people that love them for what they are ..... :welcome.gif:

Return to “My Dog”