Botham - our new dog from wokingham

The place to tell us all about your non-RR dog
mikaly

Botham - our new dog from wokingham

Post by mikaly » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi all at RR and Happy new year, Hope you all had a great Christmas. We had the most wonderful present, a new rescue dog with our mob number on his collar, YEHAY !!!!! As you may know it wasn't possible for us to rehome Cathy and we also got turned down at another rescue when trying to rehome a 9 year old staffie with history concerning an eye problem because we will be moving in the next 6 months and dogs evidently don't like moving home," REALLY" We were so dejected our plan reverted to getting a puppy from a BSB and began looking for our dog of choice, A Doberman and made several enquiries but nothing really called out to us. One evening I was just browsing our very local rescue center and there he was our next dog, a magnificent german shepard Rottweiler cross, u must think I'm mad but I just knew he was waiting for us. The home is open every day from midday and no app or paperwork is necessary so I went Tuesday this week gave some simple details and collared up and we were away. I'm going to rename him Botham once he is settled with us. So my first outing was incredible, we made our way down a very muddy bridal path and Botham was so strong on the lead I simply had no choice but to hang on, it was like surfing on mud rather that water, nothing seamed to slow him down and I did feel a bit intimidated, amazingly he has no issues with people but he did bring out the anger in some dogs mainly those off lead and it didn't matter if they were much smaller than him they still barked madly at us. I am fairly strong and we had a great time careering down countless muddy tracks. Two hours later and I'm getting stiff from all this exercise but I know he is going to be OUR next dog. I return to the rescue and discuss Botham and the owner agrees to hold Botham for the next week or so so I can visit every day to get some order in our new relationship. Been out every day since with Botham for about 4-5 hours daily and we must be walking 10 miles minimum plus some ball retrieving in the enclosure. The difference is truly amazing he walks nicely on the lead ( I have an extra lead around my waist just in case he slipped his collar) He still has some issues to address regarding meeting certain dogs and I have a local trainer who I will employ to give me some one to one training in an open environment as I am not so keen on dog classes as its not such a natural environment to learn. Met up with my sister today (1 jan) she has 3 dogs, GSD, LAB and Patt terrior, initially there was some barking but half an hour later my Botham was lounging on the floor with the other 3 just chilling around him. I am going to bring him home next Wednesday and until then carry on taking him out every day to get as much exposure as possible. |He is a very big handsome male and he has a real swagger and spring in his walk, Yesterday while walking alongside a ditch he decided to have a drink and pulled me in too and I'm just in trainers so walked some miles with soaking wet feet, the day before I forgot the poop bags and had no choice but to use my hanky, NICE, but you know what he is more than worthy of my time, He loves being groomed and his short coat stays so clean despite all the mud we have been thro. WE are so happy to have found Botham, He will be with us all his days but you know what I still look at Cathy and wish she could have been ours. Perhaps I could reapply and have her as well they would make a great pair like little and large and my Botham would give her the confidence to go anywhere even Ireland, We will be there this year and our lives can really start. Thanks again to all who respond to our updates, it makes it worthwile struggling with this horrible computer thingy, Regards Mik and Ali

xxlynne

Re: Botham - our new dog from wokingham

Post by xxlynne » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:55 pm

So pleased for you Hoping Botham is settling in with you.

Cathy was homed on Saturday so you can relax there also

mikaly

Re: Botham - our new dog from wokingham

Post by mikaly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:08 pm

fabulous news regarding Cathy finding her forever home, I am truly pleased she now has a loving family to care for her and I am sure she will give many years of pleasure as she looked so full of fun. Thanks also to xxlynne for your kind words regarding our own happy rehome, Botham has already filled a huge hole in our lives and has proved to be a truly lovely companion to my wife and I, he is universally liked by all that meet him and while walking thro our local town last week I overheard somebody say "there is a proper dog" I was overcome with pride. It has not been all plain sailing tho and until I employed a local pro trainer I was still not sure he was for us as he really was more dog than I was looking for. Cant tell you how much I learnt from an expert and at the end of the session I paid in full and more to secure our new charge. Had Bo for three weeks now and we are outside everyday all day together, he loves following a scent and digging, sadly this Monday while digging he cut his leg which bled a lot so a trip to the vet and a hefty bill followed. While I was there I got his pet passport in preparation for our Irish trips and had him weighed, just over 40 kilos so the name of "beefy" Botham fits well on his shoulders. He was a real star at the vets and loves to strike a pose in the hope of a treat. Also changed his diet to raw food only, not cheap but the change has been amazing I wish I had done this for our last dog. He produces so little poo and his coat is so shiny it almost dazzle's you in the sun. Having Bo has helped us so much to say good buy to our last dog and come to terms with the accident which affected us so badly. I cant wait to get out now and every spare minuet we have is spent walking or training or grooming. I hope the new owners of Cathy get as much pleasure as we are getting, I so wanted cathy for our own but am genuinely happy that she safe and warm, I can stop following her post now and feeling so sad for her plight. Wish I could put some pics of Bo for you to see but sadly just doing this letter takes all of my one brain cell. Probably this will be my last post so good luck to all rehomers and to RR. Mik n Ali

Return to “My Dog”