Tess - our 'last' dog

The place to tell us all about your non-RR dog
mikaly

Tess - our 'last' dog

Post by mikaly » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi and thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to RR. As I currently don't have a dog I thought I would describe our last one and the reason I joined RR. We always had animals in our family when I was young and I worked on a local farm from the ages 9 to 17 so being around animals is second nature to me. We had a male border collie named Fred, then my sister had a spaniel called charley. Fast forward to my adult life, around 1997 I was living temporally at my sisters home and she had recently lost both of her Labradors, one had cancer and the other just slipped away after loosing her friend so my sister went to DBRH (we always knew it as just brimblecomes) way back in the day and came home the same day with Tess a brown merle collie x. Tess had been returned to the dogs home on 2 separate occasions so we were in effect the fourth owners. Tess was a beautiful but very sad dog initially but within a week her true colours came to light. We found that no amount of exercise still couldn't match her energy levels and within a short time she had become a real strain on all especially the neighbours. She was diagnosed with separation anxiety by our vet, What could we do. I have been self employed most of my life so called the shots as to what I did and why and I suggested to my sister that as long as Tess didn't become my dog I would take her to work everyday. Initially it was a nightmare and I spent all day taking care of Tess, I only had to go out of sight for a minuet and she would be howling and would and did wander off.
After work I used to visit the farm where I spent my childhood to exercise Tess, it was a farm track and no cars should really have been there but one night in the dark a car struck Tess and she was missing. I went back to work and got a torch and returned only to find tess patiently waiting for me with a very obvious broken leg. Seeing tess all bandaged up changed something in the way we reacted to each other and from that moment on she was my dog. We really did go everywhere together, I didn't think twice about whether it was allowed or not so meetings with my bank or solicitor or anywhere tess just came along and I became rather well known for it. We only got asked to leave one non food shop and in a temper I declared I would take my custom elsewhere then had to travel some miles to make my purchas
Tess had been to Scotland, cornwall but most of all Ireland where I recon she made at least 25 sea crossings to my friends in Donegal. She hated going on the ship but loved the car journey, the trip took some 18 hours door 2 door and I would be shattered driving 500 miles + only to get to Donegal where tess would jump out and find a stick or something to play with, I had other ideas and grabbed some rest.

Tess was an amazing companion beautiful like a fox in looks and actions she could easily find chicken bones a mile away and we truly had a wonderful partnership. On 06-06-14 My wife and tess and I were doing another short 4 day visit to Donegal, we had just got thro the madness of the m50 past Dublin(like our m25) driven a few miles on the N4 north to Cavan and we were hit by young guy who said he just didn't see us. The impact was massive and the huge loaded trailer I was towing broke free, we jack knifed and according to the witnesses who kindly stopped to help we rolled twice and skidded to a stop on our roof facing the wrong way. Obviously my wife and I were badly injured but managed to get free of the van. Sadly tess wasn't so lucky and had been thrown from a vehicle doing over 50 miles an hour, She didn't look good. We spent time in hospital and had to stay in Donegal for nearly 3 months. Tess spent a week in the vets but never really recovered, neither of us could drive home so we took the heart breaking decision to have her put to sleep.We lost our friend on 11-08-2014. So that's why I'm now looking on the RR site to find another companion. Hope you havnt fallen asleep reading about our dog and will keep you posted when we get our next four legged friend. Regards to all. Mik and Ali

MrsP

Re: Tess - our 'last' dog

Post by MrsP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Lovely story of a beautiful friendship. Such a sad way to lose her but Tess sounds very lucky to have had you.

johnfowle

Post by johnfowle » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Mikali, again,

What a moving story....thank you for sharing it with us. Tess was very fortunate to have found you....how good of you to spend so much time trying to help her with her separation anxiety, and then for, in effect, adopting her after suffering that broken leg. It must have been an awful, but brave decision to allow her to "cross the bridge"....and now you feel able to offer another rescue dog to experience that same love and affection....thank you.

I am sure you will find it difficult to choose the canine friend for you...."we" have so many lovely dogs some, perhaps, in greater need of your kindness than others, but no doubt you will be able to discuss your wishes with the homing team....probably Dianna will call you after you have submitted your adoption questionnaire. Actually, I have just submitted my own questionnaire, requesting that I be allowed to adopt a terrier I have been fostering for over two years!!!!

Best wishes

John and the Mob

mikaly

Post by mikaly » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Thank you for the kind words posted after I sent in details of our last dog and good luck to john and the mob with their app to rehome. This is all very new to me, the main use I had for a computer was to put behind the wheel of my car to stop it rolling back while attempting a repair. I would like to read more about other pet lovers last pet, dog or other as I know that what I wrote was a kind of exorcism that will allow us to move on and rehome with the knowledge that we "done Tess proud". Actually as this is so new to me I wasn't sure if it was the kind of thing that people like to read and was slightly concerned that people would laugh at us getting so upset over a this situation.. It was strange but I have said goodbye to close friends and even closer family but none affected us quite like Tess did. I am tempted to write up some of the scrapes Tess and found our self in while we were a team. I'm also tempted to describe how the end actually panned out in the hope that it may help other owners faced with the same situation. I am in discussions with Dianna regarding Cathy and will post the outcome asap. Regards from Wokingham. Ps any other owners into Landrovers. Dogs and Landys are a good match. My daily drive is a very early 90,A s1 renovation project, and part own a 101 needing some surgery.

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11 pm

Hiya

Your story of Tess was so incredibly moving and I shed tears reading it. What wonderful people you are. Indeed NO ONE would have laughed at you and the way you loved Tess so much, it shows you to be the type of person who is welcomed onto our forum with open arms. I am glad Tess gave you so much pleasure. Losing a pet is such a heartbreaking time, having lost some you never get used to them not being there! So I really hope you are lucky with adopting one of our beautiful gorgeous dogs. Thank you so much again for sharing with you. Take good care and we will "watch this space" re your adopting. xxxx

Dani

Post by Dani » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:55 pm

So sad to hear about your loss, you have came to right place to talk about dogs and your sad loss. I identify with you ,having lost family pets myself.
It's lovely you are thinking to give Cathy a long stayer a home, all homing's are great but must say the ones that have been in rescue a long time are my favourite homing's i'm sure Tess would be proud of you to help rescue another. Will be looking forward to the updates on who you get to adopt. Best of luck. newyear.gif

mikaly

Post by mikaly » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Dani thanks also for your words of support, I wrote the article not for pity or even sympathy but solely to cleanse my head, blokes in general are not good at showing our feelings and I'm a serial loner and its only debt and marriage that keeps me from going completely feral. My idea of heaven would be to live somewhere like Canada and live as god intended with wildlife as pets so being fairly anonymous here works for me and I feel a lovely aura from the people on this forum. Its funny we appear to live in a very hostile world but you only have to scratch the surface and decent people are everywhere, what a shame our voices are so drowned out by the shouters !!!! Encouraged by the lovely comments I will finish talking about Tess with an account of her final day.
As I explained my wife and I could not fly home and Tess really was too weak to carry on and I was saying this to our brilliant farming friends in Donegal, Desi the head of house simply got up and made the arrangements on my behalf, he knew we were really struggling with the idea and the date was set Monday 11. During the last week we walked as much as Tess could bear the weather was kind and the scenery breathtaking, we have the Blue Stack Mountains as our backdrop and playground but all too soon it was sunday evening and we decided that even tho Tess was completely incontinent she should share our tiny caravan which had become our home due to the accident, we put down as many towels as we could find and she truly looked at home again. Amazingly the next mourn she had only done a small wee but soon cleaned up even with our restricted mobility. We went for a walk up our favourite path one that Tess had done hundreds of times before, we couldn't get far and stopped and sat on an old river crossing, I stroked Tess and as usual got a handful of fur. In Ireland the framers often push loose sheep's wool into the ground with a stick and as I was using one we tried to push Tessies fur in but it didn't want to stay in and kept sticking to the end, we finally managed and started our way back. We should have had 4 or 5 hours then with Tess but as we walked past Desi"s home he came across to say there was a mix up and the vet would be there in 30 mins. Wow, we got home and gave Tess her daily Dentastick treat, prepared her place and in no time at all two lovely vets called. I lifted Tess on to the table so we could comfort her and was happy when they told us that they rarely see a dog of this age to be put to sleep and often PTS dogs as their owners just don't want them, she also said that Tess was almost completely and I think she just navigated using me as a scent marker. We said our good buy the injection was given then another the vets said words of comfort and left and she was gone. It was both brutal and beautiful in equal measure and I couldn't speak went outside grieved alone for a bit then my wife and I comforted each other.
With Tess on her side it was impossible to tell that she had gone and I had to keep checking. I had already prepared her resting place so we lined it with her bedding put in. all her things then Tess then covered her so no soil would touch her fur. My wife is a religious Filipino so we had holy water that was blessed by the priest and I replaced the soil. we topped all this off with the biggest rocks that I could lift and the following day planted a native rowan tree to remember her by. Tess gave us 14 years of enjoyment and she was not a puppy when we got her, our vet estimated she was from between 2-4 years old so she really did have a long and exciting life. :thanks.gif:

Return to “My Dog”