Tia

The place to tell us all about your non-RR dog
Hoonercat

Re: Tia

Post by Hoonercat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Tia went back to Belgium over the weekend for a second CT scan, some good news and some not so good news. The surgeon is pleased with 7 of the hernias as there is no change and he believes these shouldn't cause her too much problems in the future. Unfortunately, the largest hernia has grown significantly and he feels there is too much risk involved to operate due to the location and the tiny space that he has to work in. However, she has grown extra bone beneath the effected discs which has fused them both together and will add stability to the area (in effect her body has done what a surgeon would have to do with pins). We discussed options and the surgeon said he would like to carry out a hemilaminectomy, which involves removing bone above the effected area to relieve pressure on the spinal cord. It is a more difficult operation but is less risky and, provided there isn't too much damage already present, should give her better mobility and control over her movements. There are of course risks involved and no guarantees but we both felt this was the way forward as I've seen a marked decrease in her mobility and occasional loss of bowel control over the past couple of months.
She goes in tomorrow morning (Tuesday), needless to say I'm a bag of nerves.
Tia_bandage.jpg

johnfowle

Post by johnfowle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Thinking of you, John, and dear Tia. Hope all goes well tomorrow....please update.

With love from all in New Romney.

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:28 pm

You and Tia will be in my thoughts. Fingers crossed that everything goes well tomorrow. :crossfingers.gif:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Just spoke to the surgeon, the op went well and post-op scans look 'very very good'.

Such a relief thumbs.gif

marknsal

Post by marknsal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Yay that is good news she is such a little sweety and a great ambassador(ess) for her breed. Give her a stroke from the Bella collective we will be thinking of her.

anne

Post by anne » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Phew, what a relief. Wishing her a good recovery. xx

johnfowle

Post by johnfowle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Thank you, John, for your update. So pleased that the initial report is very positive.

Best wishes from us all in New Romney

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:35 am

Fantastic! woo.gif] Little Tia is a fighter. Safe journey home!
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Just a quick update to say that Tia is doing really well, I can't remember a time when she seemed so happy with her lot. Her walks are still limited to a couple a week but I don't think she's too bothered, she's more than happy with the garden :D

Pretty much how she spends every day

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Wonderful to see her looking so happy ...she certainly is a miracle dog with everything she has been through love4.gif

Return to “My Dog”