Tia

The place to tell us all about your non-RR dog
Hoonercat

Tia

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:08 am

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011

Thought it was about time I introduced Tia to you all. She will be 6 years old next year and I love her to bits. I've had Tia since she was 3 months old, in that time she's had one bout of lung worm which was very hard for her and she is on medication for an under active thyroid which she will be on all her life. Even on med her thyroid levels are still lower than they should be, not that you'd know it if you ever saw her out and about. She has bundles of energy when out walking (off lead dog) and makes up for it when she gets home and starts snoring. :D
She is fantastic with kids, gets on very well with most other dogs and is very good with cats that she knows, though she will chase other cats (but stops on recall). She is the first Staffie that I've owned and I can honestly say that she is by far the best dog I've ever had in both personality and temprament. She loves cuddles and play fighting with her family.
The best way to describe her is very calm around the house but a bundle of energy once she gets outside. She loves trying to goad me and the kids into chasing her and still does that puppy skip when excited. I took her to work recently and she was described as 'the happiest dog I've ever seen' by a colleague which left me chuffed to bits :)
Anyway, here she is.

and here she is with her cuddle buddy, Oscar

Excuse the bare floor, had a burst pipe and waiting for insurance company to pull their finger out :evil:

Hoonercat

Re: Tia

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:11 am

Posted Thurs June 7 2012
Wow can't believe it's been over a year since I posted this so time for a little update and some pics :D .

Tia has made lots of new furry friends at RR as she usually comes to kennels and walks the dogs with us :D  She has this uncanny knack of knowing when another dog is ready to say hello. Some dogs she will have playing within minutes of meeting, others she will ignore until the other dog is ready to say hello which really seems to put nervous dogs at ease.
A selection of Tia's walking buddies
The adorable Duke

Lovely Benson, who Tia walks with more than any other RR dog and bullied for the entire weekend that we fostered him :oops: Fortunately, a dominant woman was just what Benson needed in his life, not sure how Tia knew this though as she's normally very submissive
No pics, but a quick mention to the lovely Hamlet who Tia was very fond of  :love9

As a testament to her amazing nature, she has also welcomed quite a few fosters into her home without so much as a grumble. She lets them share her toys, her bed, in some case her food, and her family. Some have been happy, playful dogs, while others haven't had much exposure to a good life, but Tia always gets them feeling relaxed and welcome.
Some of her foster friends
The lovely Ronni (Star) and Laylah

Her best friend ever, Mystic

Her little boyfriend Spike

And her latest main man, Buddy :D
And of course the few overnighters that have stayed with us, including the wonderful Lennie who Tia took one look at and hid behind the kids :laugh2:  Fortunately he soon grew on her, I think his sheer size had her running for cover. :D
In case it wasn't obvious, Tia is loved immensely by us. No matter how many fantastic Staffies I meet, none of them could ever fill her shoes. Every morning without fail she greets us as if she hasn't seen us for days. Her recall is fantastic, she loves other dogs and kids just adore her, even 2 we know that were previously terrified of dogs. One of her closest friends is a cat, and she was once discovered having a sleep in the rabbit hutch, though I'm not sure if the bunnies appreciated it too much. But despite her gentle nature, she makes a fantastic guard dog, even the neighbours don't escape her bark if they dare to invite friends around for a BBQ :roll: . She can, when on-lead, appear to be a bit glum to those who don't know her but it's because she's always been off-lead, as soon as the lead comes off you get to see the real Tia. She even has her own Facebook page (not set up by me, I should add :roll: ).

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:12 am

Posted October 14 2012

Thanks Nina that sums her up really well :D
I've asked a lot of Tia this year as all of our foster dogs have been male and she is much more comfortable around females, but she has been brilliant. It has changed the way she is with male dogs, there was a time when she would shy away from them and look to me to 'protect' her but now she puts them in their place if they overstep the mark and I think this is for the better as they know that she won't let them away with too much. She is still very tolerant and has a very long fuse but she will now stand up for her self, especially where mounting is concerned. It creates an understanding between the dogs and I believe it helps when introducing a new dog into foster.
She still amazes me with how well she can read other dogs and is my second pair of eyes. When walking her for the first time with a rescue dog I spend as much time watching Tia as the other dog as I can tell so much from how she acts. We now let her off lead once we're in an open space and she will always give the other dog plenty of space and time to relax if needed, letting them say hello when they are ready. But when she has a good feeling about a dog she can have them charging around playing with her within minutes of meeting them, wish I could read dogs as well as she can :oops:
She has this odd motherly instinct with small furries, loves the kids' rabbits and tries to play with them in the garden (though the rabbits aren't too impressed :D ). If she sees one of Leesa's cats going near the hamster cage she will bark to get someones' attention, and when the hamsters are out in their little hamster ball she will gently nudge the cats away with her muzzle if they get too close :lol:
I do realize how lucky I am to have Tia, and absolutely dread the day that she will no longer be with us. It doesn't matter how bad a day I've had, as soon as I walk through the door and see her helicopter tail spinning away it's all forgotten.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:13 am

Posted November 25 2012

There are times when I have to question Tia's sanity :laugh:

Video: Tia with her ball

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 am

Posted Jan 10 2014

Ronni & Laylah, Tia's first foster friends

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:16 am

Posted Jan 10 2014

The amazing Misty (Mystic), Tia's second foster and could easily have been her soul mate, these two absolutely adored each other.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:18 am

Posted January 12 2014

Happy Birthday my little barrel of a princess :smiley-dance017.gif:

Tia's Birthday didn't get off to the best of starts this morning when a huge off lead Doberman decided Tia was going to be breakfast :smiley-signs002.gif:   The dog came running towards us along a narrow path and I knew from the owners panicking cries that this wasn't going to go well. My first thought was 'please don't let it be Judy'. I know that sounds awful, but it's testament to the trust I have in Tia's ability to manage a situation like this. She has the most amazing self control, the Doberman thankfully only manged to remove a lump of fur from Tia's side, then she did what she does so well, launched herself at the Dobbie, put it on the back foot, then she stopped dead in her tracks - she NEVER follows through or lets the red mist take over, just makes her point then stands her ground, and it works every time. Maybe it's the way she goes from being completely passive to explosive in a fraction of a second that shocks another dog, but I'm so glad that it works.
She had to do similar a couple of months ago with a pack of dogs, A Labradoodle and 3 hunting hounds. The hounds were quite young and playful, Tia latched onto the back of them waiting for an invite to play but the Labradoodle was being very aggressive. Tia tried to get it to play but no luck, so went back to chasing the hounds but the Labradoodle wouldn't leave her alone. Then it started snapping at her face, and the other 3 surrounded her and joined in. She tried to turn so she could get to me but had nowhere to go, so launched at the Labradoodle , the whole pack scattered and Tia came walking over to me and sat down like the perfect lady. The male hound came back and was barking right in her face but she didn't move an inch, just sat there ignoring him until the owners pulled him away.
Same thing last year with 3 Labs, 2 of them were fine with Tia but the third just wouldn't leave her alone. Tia kept trying to avoid him by walking away but he was in her face every time, then the other 2 joined in. I'd asked the woman 3 times to control her dogs but she was useless. I could see Tia was getting stressed as they had surrounded her so she couldn't get back to me, finally she'd had enough and flew at the most aggressive Lab, all 3 scattered and Tia came back to my side straight away.
She has amazing self control. And despite having had this type of thing happen several times, she's never actually bitten, the threat of it has always been enough.
She did have a lovely Birthday, lots of play with Judy, lots of treats, but nothing I gave her could possibly be more enthralling than the tatty old football she found, and an abundance of branches ;)

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:15 pm

loving the photos of Tia and Misty (Mystic) :biggrin.gif: - looks like they've been together for years
One Photo Can Save a Life

We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Tia was very pleased to get her first ever certificate at the Fun Day yesterday. She was even more pleased at not having to do the agility course to earn it :D It's now taking pride of place on the mantle piece :thanks.gif:

All the best
Tonto :D
certificate2.jpg

Return to “My Dog”