Lois aka 'Monkey'

The place to tell us all about your non-RR dog
staffylevi

Lois aka 'Monkey'

Post by staffylevi » Sat May 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Well there’s no update on Lois as I never did a thread for her, think I had writer’s block after the other three so I’ll have to start from the beginning so kick back, relax and enjoy the journey; lot’s to tell on this little monkey. Here goes... :biggrin.gif:
If Lois was a person she would be the only Supermodel to have one eye. She’s got all the qualities you would expect to find in one of these ladies; she’s tall, leggy, slender with just the right amount of curves, she’s got plenty of attitude and she'll wrap you right round her lil' finger; a proper little diva without a doubt!

She was found wandering a dual carriageway, approximately four months old, all she had to her name was the fur on her back, a collar and a lead. She was microchipped, her owners contacted but as you’d expect they gave some c..k ‘n’ bull story telling the dog warden they'd given her away to a friend; with friends like that…..!!

I saw her on the internet and tracked her down to a rescue in Nottingham, a time consuming task but I got there in the end, I always do, I wanted her and nothing was gonna stop me from getting her; ‘She’s like Lilly’, I said to Lee and she was such a cutie pie - she's nothing like Lil. :biggrin.gif:

Lois's internet pic - The face that melted my heart how could I turn my back?

Her description might have put some people off but not me, I was once described as being ‘like a dog with a bone’… lol! Anyway, enough about me. Fizz, as she was known, had issues; food aggression and a very feisty nature… Oh! God! I really should learn to leave that bone alone sometimes… :roll:

It was a scorching hot day when we travelled the long journey to Nottingham, rest of pack in tow and the staffy mobil full to capacity or so I thought… room for one more??? Elaine took us to meet the little minx, there she was rolling around upside down showing off her belly looking very sorry for herself, she had the worse kennel cough I have ever seen; streaming eyes and a thick snotty nose, she looked a mess. She also had very bandy legs due to lack of calcium which a good diet sorted out.

Homeward Bound
We walked her with the rest of the pack who seemed totally disinterested in her. As we’d travelled a long distance Elaine said we could take her there and then. We filled out the necessaries, loaded her on my lap in the car and off we went homeward bound! :biggrin.gif:

She was sick twice in the car and just looked really ill (please don’t think badly of the rescue they just wanted her out of there where she could receive all the TLC necessary to get her better). As we are on very good terms with our vets I rang them while travelling and booked Fizz in for an appointment as she was extremely poorly.

When we picked her up we noticed she had different coloured eyes (yes, she had two), our vets said it was nothing to worry about so we didn’t until one day a few months later she came in from the garden with her eye closed and we all know what that means – she was in pain! It was a Sunday, we took her to the emergency vets who suspected a Lens Luxation (LL) – this was serious and we were sent to the Animal Health Trust (AHT) in Suffolk where it was confirmed to be LL. Lois, whom we named on the way home from the rescue after seeing her namesake splashed right across the back of a lorry travelling in front of us was none the wiser, she was still her happy-go-lucky, cheeky, full of attitude diva self; we on the other hand were absolutely distraught.

The lens is the transparent structure within the eye that focuses light on the retina, the area where vision occurs. It is a flattened sphere held in place by tiny ligaments around its circumference.

What causes lens luxation?
In some dogs, particularly the terrier breeds, the support ligaments of the lens weaken or break causing the lens to dislocate from its normal position. It can fall backwards into the eye known as a posterior luxation, where it rarely causes discomfort, or it can fall forwards into the eye, called an anterior luxation, where it blocks the drainage of fluid from the eye resulting in glaucoma or increased intra-ocular pressure (IOP). This is extremely painful and can cause permanent blindness. Lois had the latter. :cry:

We had a few options but really only one was feasible; enucleation (removal of eye) – I so wished I’d never had to find out what that word meant. However, before going down that so so drastic route there was an alternative to try first, this alternative came in the form of drops to restrict the pupil not allowing the lens to come forward and cause pain. We tried her on these for a few days and all seemed good until the eye reverted back to closing again; this little lady is such a livewire and because of this the drops just couldn’t do their job. The next visit to the AHT was one that will live in my memory forever; this was the visit where we had to make the heart-wrenching decision to have the monkey’s eye removed. How the tears flowed! A very kind lady whose dog was in for a brain tumour said to me: ‘She’s absolutely beautiful, don’t let anyone ever tell you any different.’ Those words will be with me always.

It’s amazing the surgeries that can be carried out; we discussed all the prosthetic options but the surgeon wasn’t convinced a prosthetic would stay in place given Lois’s lively nature and could result in further ops so for that reason we opted for our only viable option, a full enucleation; not the best option for us but definitely the best option for our lil’ girl.

After her op

Lois recovered well; still a supermodel, still a diva, still with loads of attitude but you gotta love ‘er. Sometimes she drives me round the bend but she is such a character with bags of personality you can’t help but hold her in the highest esteem. As it turned out she could only see light reflection in the eye that was removed so as far as she was concerned she'd only ever had one eye, well that is since the trauma the surgeons believe her to have suffered; maybe some kind of head injury causing the lens to detach itself (excuse me while I just bite my tongue!) as it's rare for it to happen in a dog so young, the average age is around the 6 year mark.

Her food aggression was not really aggression just a case of no manners. Her feisty nature on the other hand well that’s a whole other ball game. Have you got time?? Are you still awake?? :lol:

Mad as a Hatter!
She was a four-month-old Staffy x Boxer when we took her on and instead of life being good with this adorable little puppy it was hell. With three other dogs and the devil dog joining our midst life was certainly no bowl of cherries. Enter Adem our life saver! You are reading about two very experienced staffy/dog owners here and we let poor Lois come into our home and our pack thinking she ruled the roost; no place for a little girl to be! After months of hard work splitting our pack, walking them separately Lois has hung up her horns although they do still put in the odd appearance. :smiley-rolleyes010.gif: Mum 'n' Dad are in charge and life has resumed to some kind of normality, well as normal as it can be with a Lois around.

She has a thing about socks, pants, slippers and feet! She’ll take socks out of the laundry, if I leave the door of the washing machine open and she spies a sock its outta there and somewhere else! If you can't find a sock in this house you find yourself asking Lois; 'Lois, where's my other sock?' :lol: She'll have a great game with 'em, throwing them around, up in the air; laying upside down chewing on them and feet, she loves Lee’s feet, she’ll play with them for as long as he’ll let her! Yuk! I don’t do feet!
She’s into everything; if Lois doesn’t know about it it’s not worth knowing about. She a wonderful staffy singer and can sing on command, the attitude part of this girl comes in the form of Kevin the teenager… ‘Ooohh, if I av to do it’. She loves her dad loads and when he comes home from work she’s on him like a rash. Lois is the kinda girl you need to be calm around although sometimes that can be quite hard; if she see's you laugh or your high pitch it'll send her in to mad half hour, frenzy mode.

This leggy lady is Mad as a March Hare but make no mistake she is highly intelligent; she’ll read you like a book knowing your every move even before you do. She’s doing Advanced Gold training and like our other girls helps with the re-branding of the staffy's good name. She’ll have you in stitches with her antics.

With Jasmine. Doin' it for the staffies...

To sum up this canine character; I’ll have to keep it brief, I’m sure there’s a word limit on here somewhere To funny She’s the most loving, funny, charismatic soul you could ever wish to meet and we wouldn’t change her for the world; hhmm, well maybe…. No, only joking!!! If she never did as she was told then that’s another story.

She’s Lois, she’s our ‘monkey’ and we love her! xxx

A few pics...

Showin' her washin' :)
1351933167542.jpg

Hope you enjoyed... Good night!

Avatar is staffy Levi & GSD Sonny; true ambassadors for their breeds. You live on in our hearts & the rest of our pack.
Jasmine SBTx 4yrs, Lilly SBTx 3.5yrs, Lois SBTx 3yrs

goodvic2

I didn't realise she only had one eye. She is a beauty!

You are so good with words. If I wrote that much I'd be falling asleep!! Instead I enjoyed it all.

Thanks for sharing x

chinquest
Forum Moderator

She is lovely and it was lovely to wake up and read her story :)
LindaH

Lovely story and what a lucky girl she was the day you came for her. Your faith in her has given her what she needed to blossom and shine - she has come a long way. She is a beautiful girl, full of character and I can see why you love her so.

Lexiedhb

I didn't realise she only had one eye either!!

Love that your pack are colour coordinated!

ladylou
Forum Moderator

Another great story of one of the staffylevi pack. flower Lois is such a beauty, and a very, very lucky girly as well. :smiley-love029.gif:

staffylevi

Thank you for your lovely comments and Vicky, I was falling asleep! Did you see the time I was writing this post? To funny

Not many people do notice she's only got one eye cos' she's dark it really blends well, it certainly don't slow her down any. At first I wanted to wrap her up in cotton wool but I soon gathered my senses and had to let her just be a dog. :D

Video: Lois with Cas 'n' the girls

A few more pics of this very cheeky minky :D
Monkey & Lil

Asleep on Lilly - Love 'em'

Lookin' out of the window waitin' for her dad

With Lilly and Hector

Avatar is staffy Levi & GSD Sonny; true ambassadors for their breeds. You live on in our hearts & the rest of our pack.

charliebear

Oh my goodness that video had me laughing so much!!! She's so funny!! She looks like she's so much fun . Too funny!
Lilly looks suitably unimpressed with Lois and Cassie's sillyness :lol:

Pipps

I was already searching for Lois' story :biggrin.gif:

Lois sounds a bit like Branston - I like the cheeky monkeys

You have a wonderful pack - all are real beauties.

staffylevi

Ah! Ah! She's that alright charliebear. Lilly does have a bit of a snooty look about her but it's usually her and Cas or her 'n' Lois, basically what I'm trying to say is there all in together; all the sillyness... lol! Glad we gave you a chuckle with the vid. Smile

Bless ya pipps. Thank you. Branston is absolutely gawjus and I have actually met him, so a bit a cheeky lad then eh! To funny

staffylevi

A couple more pics of this cheeky girl! She has us in stitches.
Lois on Cas - poor lil' Cas!

This is what she's doin' right now... :D

And earlier today with the gang

Theresa

I love the last picture. :D

ladylou
Forum Moderator

I love all the piccys, she's such a sweetie. :)

staffylevi

Guess who's 3 today... :D

Video: Happy Birthday Monkey xx

We love you Lo xxx

anne

Happy birthday to the gorgeous girlie xx[
Last edited by staffylevi on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doin' it for the staffies ...

dogbodies4

Lois aka 'Monkey'

Post by dogbodies4 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:18 pm

xxlynne
Forum Moderator

Lois has a permanent Wink at the world like she has mischief stored up. She looks so happy and comfortable in her glorious pack

Rescue Remedies Statistics
Registered Charity No.1139407

Nina

Oh yes and a Happy Birthday from me to Miss Lois XX

staffylevi

Lois on holiday in Norfolk last week. :D

staffylevi

A lil' update on this cheeky monkey. :D

Lois is still as mad as a hatter and still has us in fits of laughter... we say she's a staffy x boxer (box'r tricks!) Laugh She's a real card! I still take her training where she's doing her Advanced Gold. She, along with Jasmine and Lilly have changed everyone's perception in class of the staffy breed.

Out of all the girls I would say Lois is the most loving (a daddy's girl without a doubt), she's the most energetic out of our pack; run her for a few hours and sure she'll be tired, take her training for an hour and she's out for the count!! :D

We take her on some awareness drives to big up the staffy name and she always does them proud but she would much rather be snuggled at home in the warm on the sofa. :roll:

Lois gets on well with all dogs and never has a bad word to say; she has accepted all the waif 'n' stray staffies that have graced the 'staffylevi' household and although a forthright, vocal character, underneath it all she's the biggest softy you could ever wish to meet. :D

A few pics to enjoy...

Our first awareness drive of 2012

Doin' it for the staffies...

She's all you'd ever want... she's a lady! :lol:

Daddy's girl

Such a poser

Fun with Lilly

Snugglin' with Cas and Lil

staffylevi

The 'monkey' this Crimbo. x

Poser!

With the girls. x

staffylevi

Our Lois. x
With her sisters...

Bedtime: Cas (left), Lois (right)

rummibailey

When I die and am reborn a Staffie - can I come and live in your house????!!!! Seems like Staffie heaven to me!!!

staffylevi

LOL! More than welcome! :biggrin.gif:

goodvic2

Love the pics mate xx

staffylevi

It's been a while since we walked the girls all together as we've had fosters with us so have split the walks but today we took the girls out together as young Tiffy was homed yesterday and what a lovely walk we had; just the girls off lead playing and us hands free. Enjoy a few pics. :D

So very proud of these girls... Love you all xxx

Ozmum

And so you should be, they are all beautiful.
X

staffylevi

Thank you Ozmum. x

staffylevi

Look who's 4 today!! Our baby of the bunch ...

Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday Monkey Socks.

Lot's of love mummy, daddy, Jasmine 'n' Lilly. xxx

goodvic2

Happy birthday beautiful girl xx

ladylou
Forum Moderator

Happy birthday gorgeous, I'm sure you will be spoilt rotten.
Love all the piccys.

dogbodies4

Re: Lois aka 'Monkey'

Post by dogbodies4 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:19 pm

GemmaW
Events / Moderator

Happy birthday Lois! x x

Wander Woman

Happy Birthday, Pretty Girl! x

staffylevi

Such a Daddy's girl... ;)

goodvic2

She is such a character! Xx

Ozmum

What a gorgeous girlie. It must be a Staffie thing then - to sit wrapped around ya dads head on the back of the sofa Laugh
X

Wander Woman

Too Funny! And endearing at the same time! :D

Nina

Such a brill photo :lol:

LindaH

What an absolutely brilliant photo of your gorgeous girl on the back of her Daddy's neck like that. I bet she comes in handy on those cold winter evenings, when you have a draft whistling around your neck!!!

staffylevi

Strike a pose! Lois lovin' the fun 'n' frolics with her dad at the RR fun day. xxx

staffylevi

The Monkey so loves her big sister. Yes, Lilly is her big sister; you wouldn't think so though would you?? :lol:

ladylou
Forum Moderator

Absolutely beautiful.

goodvic2

LOL love the pics xx

LindaH

Priceless photos - ones to save always

staffylevi

Our Monkey is such a card... this was her the day we were going to Norfolk... making sure she wasn't getting left behind!!!

julieh

What a gorgeous girl. Xx

dogbodies4

Post by dogbodies4 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:20 pm

staffylevi

Of course we took her with us... :) And this is what she got up to!! ;)

staffylevi

Lois's new trick jumping up on the garden table. She has us in stitches... just look at the attitude!! ;) ;)

goodvic2

Lol! She does like to think she's the bees knees! Xx

rummibailey

She looks very proud of herself....and rightly so!

staffylevi

goodvic2 wrote:

Lol! She does like to think she's the bees knees! Xx

She thinks she's the bees knees and most of the time she is sweet like honey, the rest of the time; you're right, she thinks she's queen bee but there's only one queen bee around here!!! ;) ;)

goodvic2

Is she woofing in the bottom 3 pics??
It looks like it! X

staffylevi

She's singing her little heart out!! x

staffylevi

Lois this mornin' giving her dad some Lois lovin'. Smile This is why we don't let Lois loose on visitors in the first five mins of their arrival. ;)

She is such a character!! :)

Just look at the state of this...love her! x

She's no lady but we love her!!! ;)

goodvic2

Reminds me if her mum ... :lol:

She is gorgeous xx

staffylevi

Good job I know you V!!! :lol: Oh! I see what you mean Gawjus!!! lol! x

ladylou
Forum Moderator

Bless her cotton socks. love love love

staffylevi

She loves socks and pants. Cheeky Monkey that she is!! :D ;)

Ozmum

She looks like she should have a floppy hat on and be playing a banjo. :lol:
Did she get onto the glass table on her own (picture at the top of the page) coz it's not very big?????? My Oz wouldn't be able to get on it or stay on it... he'd just crash to floor like a giant beetle. She looks very confident in all her photo shoots. x

staffylevi

lol! She did and it is a small table. She's very confident; too bleedin' confident sometimes; a 'cockey' little madam most of the time that's why her nickname's 'Monkey'. ;) ;)

Ooozing confidence with her sisters. xx

One of my fav pics of 'The Monkey' lookin' really cheeky at one of our staffy w/ends. :D

dogbodies4

Lois aka 'Monkey'

Post by dogbodies4 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Ozmum

Just stunning pictures that have made me sit and smile. What a monkey Cool Photos
X

staffylevi

Ah! Thank you! So glad they put a smile on ya face!! She's always, well nearly always putting one on ours... ;) ;)

LindaH

That last picture of her with her paws on the top is "gawjus". She sounds like she keeps you on your toes. Still, at least that makes for never a dull moment in your house :D

staffylevi

It certainly does Linda. I often hear myself sayin' at times; 'Thank God I like her name.' Today was one of those times!!! ;) ;)

Lois 'n' Lil sunning themselves in the garden yesterday; these two are so close, not only in age but they are true friends. love 'em x

Ozmum

They really have something special don't they. You must be sooooooo very proud coz I would be.........we really wanted to have two dogs but it just didn't work. You guys are really lucky to have such a happy pack. ;) Cool Photos Xxx

staffylevi

Thank you; we are. They are all very special, hard work at times but worth it!! x

I took the monkey and Jasmine to the woods for some time out away from the fosters today and we had a lovely hour; here's Lois in the Bluebell woods; Jasmine wasn't posing today but there is a short vid of the pair of 'em. xxx

The woods; absolutely breathtaking and the smell... hmmm... wonderful.

And a little vid of our girlie time Kiss
Video: Lois 'n' Jasmine in the Bluebell woods

Ozmum

I've really tried not to post a comment on here so that I don't appear like a stalker Shocked but I have to just say again how beautiful they both are. :oops: x

staffylevi

:lol: I would never think that!!! ;) ;) Thank you!

Just look at my sleeping beauties... with lickle Tilly staffy. love

Ozmum

I can't believe that nobody has commented on this beautiful pile of pups.
I'd sooooooo love to have my own pile of "em" that all got on so well.
Cool Photos
X

Lexiedhb

Lois has her own neck warmer!! :lol:

Whoops! Someone had a birthday yesterday... :oops:

Happy Birthday to you MONKEY... xxx

A little celebratory vid - Big Kisses

Video: Happy Birthday Monkey xx

Wander Woman

FABulous video! And I just love those pictures of her running through the bluebells!

She is one stupendous dog and you are one stupendous mum! :biggrin.gif:

dogbodies4

Lois aka 'Monkey'

Post by dogbodies4 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:21 pm

staffylevi

Wander Woman wrote:
FABulous video! And I just love those pictures of her running through the bluebells!

She is one stupendous dog and you are one stupendous mum! Smile
Thank you... what a lovely thing to say. :)

goodvic2

Just seen this.

Love the video. Xx

staffylevi

Post by staffylevi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Our gawjus girl in the sunshine... :smiley-gen132.gif:
20140617_153800.jpg
20140617_153804.jpg
20140617_153808.jpg

Julieh

Post by Julieh » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm

I love reading about your babies and about the many foster dogs that you welcome into your home :) you are a fantastic advocate for the bull breeds and show how wonderful these beautiful dogs.

I doubt you'll ever have the time , but if ever you do you should write a book. It would be a wonderful read :-)

staffylevi

Post by staffylevi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 am

Thank you Julie; what a lovely post to wake up to. :) So glad you enjoy reading about the girls and our fosters; they certainly keep me on me toes... never a dull moment!!! :biggrin.gif:

Thank you for the vote of confidence (wonderful read), I used to write for a living... my ambition is to write a book; maybe one day!!! Watch this space... ;) ;)

Julieh

Post by Julieh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Ooh maybe a book in the future:-) I really think everyone would love to read about your wonderful pack, so here's hoping :biggrin.gif: xx

Return to “My Dog”