Hello from Vicki and Molly!

A chance to tell everyone about you and your dog/s.
MollysMum

Hello from Vicki and Molly!

Post by MollysMum » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello,

I'm Vicki, mummy to Molly a 5 yr old mixed Terrier. She came to us in Oct after she'd been found lying next to her owner who had died 2 days before. The family didn't know what to do with her so put her in the kennels for 2 months. By the time she came to us she had seriously lost muscle definition and after a walk she would curl up on my lap and her poor muscle shook where they were so weak. Looking at the photos of that first month make me cry. She's a lovely shape now and I didn't realise how thin and weak she was.

We weren't looking for a dog at the time. We had a lurcher who was 10, I got a call saying Molly was near us (Well and hours drive away) and could we take her. My dad had a Parsons Terrier years ago who we'd cared for so I knew about them and felt I could care for her. We went down and I fell in love with her instantly! She gave me a big cuddle and was eager to get out to our car. She loves being in the car! She sits looking out the window!!

Sadly a month later our lurcher Missy started to loose weight and wasn't right. A lot of tears and a month later she lost her battle with stomach cancer. Molly was as upset as we were. When Molly came to live with us it was clear it had been her and her owner only and she let her run riot! She didn't know sit, stay, no or anything else. She soon learned to copy Missy and learnt so much. Suddenly her big sister was gone. It took a month for all of us to get used to the gaping hole.

As you can tell Mol is my life! I'm with her so much it seems odd when she's not with me. I hate leaving her. At first she had separation anxiety now I think I've got it! :cry:

I'm a disabled mum to a 15 yr old, married to a Madness mad man, I'm doing a degree through the Open University. I'm usually either at home with Mol or out walking with Mol! We must look a sight, I'm either using my walking frame or I'm on my mobility scooter and Mol is running along beside me! Most people round here have got used to us but we do still get looks!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and chatting. I've had a crash course in Terriers but I'm always looking for more advice!

Thanks
Vicki

Rummibailey

Re: Hello from Vicki and Molly!

Post by Rummibailey » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:01 am

Hi Vicki (and Molly of course),

How lovely that you and Molly found each other, after such a rough time for her. Would love to see some photos! Sorry to hear about the loss Milly, we have a lurcher ourselves called Sam and we call him the 'looney lurcher' as he is such a clown! They do leave such ahole in our lives when they leave us, but also a lifetime of memories.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy following the stories of the dogs as they come into the rescue and find loving homes like your Molly has.

Nikki
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

MollysMum

Post by MollysMum » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:04 am

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'll add some photos when I figure out how!! I've used facebook for so long I need a brush up on message boards!

Missy left a big hole. We had her from when she was 10 months old until she was 10 and a half. She was a lazy loon who every one loved! When she died we had so many people to tell and they all had lovely things to say about her. It was lovely but hard to hear. I think it was because it all happened so fast. She'd never been ill, she wasn't ageing either she just started to seriously loose weight. We worried we'd missed something but the vet said that's the kick in the teeth with stomach cancer in dogs. By the time they show signs it's too late to treat it. We'd thought Molly and Missy would have a few years together at least. I'm so glad we found Molly, she's helped us grieve.

I've always told my daughter to trust in fate and that the right animal will come along at the right time. Something she reminded me of when we heard about Molly! She was right. Molly has helped me in so many ways and I hope I've helped her too.

Rummibailey

Post by Rummibailey » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Missy's story reminds me a lot of our first dog, Charlie. We adopted him a 9 months old and he died when 11. He had been fit and well all his life, but on a Thursday he stopped eating and drinking and was breathing heavily. Emergency trip to the vets who took bloods and put him on antibiotics for possible chest infection. Seemed a little brighter on Sat, but worsened on Sunday. Went into vets first thing Monday and x-rays showed he had a huge tumour in his chest, squashing his lungs. So shocking that this had been there for some time but he was his normal healthy, happy self. Lurchers are such lovely dogs, mad at times but coach potatoes at others!
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

Ladylou

Post by Ladylou » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi Vicky & Molly, and welcome. So sorry to hear about Missy, it's always so sad when we lose them. :smiley-sad010.gif:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”