Retired Couple looking to offer a home

A chance to tell everyone about you and your dog/s.

Retired Couple looking to offer a home

Postby GrannyS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi, we have wanted a dog our whole lives, but never been in a position before to offer a home or the time to a dog until now. with our responsibilities to elderly parents and tiny grandchildren finished, we are hoping to offer a home to a rescue dog. We are both 70 and walk a lot in the Country Park and Forest near our home. We love the terriers but wonder if they would be too strong for us. We have never looked at rescue sites before, so we would be grateful for any tips for old timers who are first timers. :newhere.gif:
GrannyS

Re: Retired Couple looking to offer a home

Postby sweetpea » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:15 am

Welcome and great that you can finally have a dog ...and 70 is the new 50 ... love4.gif
If you fill in the homing questionnaire the team should be able to match you with a dog/dogs ...Good luck xx kara
sweetpea

Postby GrannyS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:41 am

Thank you, Sweatpea. We are away 2 days over Christmas, but will be ready to rehome immediately we return. We are planning to complete the form then. We are more excited about this than the grandchildren are about Christmas.
GrannyS

Postby sweetpea » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:23 am

GrannyS wrote:Thank you, Sweatpea. We are away 2 days over Christmas, but will be ready to rehome immediately we return. We are planning to complete the form then. We are more excited about this than the grandchildren are about Christmas.

:goodluck.gif: :welcome.gif: love4.gif
sweetpea

Postby Polpat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 pm

I think its brilliant you have waited for the right time to offer a dog a home - and there will most definitely be a dog who is the right match for you. Be clear on the rehoming form about your lifestyle and what you can offer - regular walks, visiting children, holidays etc. Also, think about the temperament and character of a dog rather than its appearance. Lots of cute, fluffy, appealing terriers are disguising a quite different character! Attlso consider the age of a dog - perhaps a more mature dog would suit you better? I am sure you will find the right one very soon! :goodluck.gif:
Polpat

Postby GrannyS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Thank you for the welcome. We are definitely looking for a more mature dog. I know none of us knows how long we have left, but I don’t want to die before the dog. Although my 3 children all love dogs, I would not want them to have to take another dog into their home unless they really wanted to.
GrannyS

Postby Wander Woman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Welcome! Thanks for choosing to Rescue!

I would also advise that, since you will be first time dog owners, read as much as you can about positive dog training methods and dog behaviour. Canine behavioural science has changed quite a bit in the last couple decades. Dog training has evolved to link to it. Positive training methods are not only more humane but also tend to work better with Terriers, since many Terriers (including Staffordshire Bull Terriers) do not do well with confrontational training methods, punishments, or scare tactics.

You can do a lot right now to prepare for your new dog before it arrives! There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and on the internet (and on facebook if you're a member) on positive methods (also called R+ for positive reinforcement). Victoria Stilwell is one of the most well-known proponents of positive methods and Cesar Millan is among the most famous who do NOT use R+ methods.

There are a wealth of books and internet sites you can delve into to find out more. If you want to dig deeper into behaviour, you can read books by John Bradshaw and Sophia Yin. I'm sure many members here can also recommend their favourite books and resources!

Also, in preparation for your home check, make sure your garden borders are secure, and consider where you will be leaving a dog if you have to leave it on its own for a few hours (after settling in). I have found that baby/stair gates can be very useful for separation purposes when necessary.

Consider toys and stimulation. It won't be time to buy until you know what type and size dog you are adopting, but you can start looking at the enrichment toys that are available. Kong brand has some great products.

Ask members what kind of house rules they have for dogs, and any other questions you might have. Consider where the dog will be allowed (mine are allowed everywhere in our house, but not everyone has the same rules) There is a dog chat section in the forum that can be very useful.

Consider what you will feed your dog. This is a great dog food site run by a pet nutritionist. It rates dog foods by ingredients and nutrition. You can search by budget too. Often the best dog foods can't be obtained at the supermarket. Pet food stores and the internet is your friend!
http://www.allaboutdogfood.com

Having a dog in the family is a wonderful, enriching experience in so many ways! I remember that excitement when I decided to adopt my first dog as an adult. So I completely understand!!
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham
Wander Woman

Postby GrannyS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you, that is the most helpful advice I have had so far. I have been mugging up and asking dog friends, but I will certainly look at your recommended reading.
GrannyS

Return to Introduce Yourself