In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Yogi Akita DofB 12.14 - 03.07.23

Post by xxlynne »

Yogi4.JPG
Yogi.jpg
Yogi's Thread below:
Current Status: Homed
Yogi's Story: Yogi was handed into kennels. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place. Yogi was living with children. Yogi is neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Yogi isn't for cats. Yogi was in boarding Kennels in Guildford whilst awaiting his new family.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.

Yogi3.JPG
Yogi.JPG
Yogi2.JPG
Yogi2.JPG
Yogi's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information:
Adam from Broxbourne saved Yogi's life by holding him past his 7 days and waiting for us to be able to offer him a Rescue place. We did that on the 11th July 2018
Yogi1.JPG
Sarahk

Re: Yogi Akita DofB 12.14 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Sarahk »

Yogi the bear indeed :welcome.gif:

What a boy, stunning and gentle giant too ...
DSC06112.JPG
DSC06120.JPG
DSC06123.JPG
DSC06132.JPG
DSC06129.JPG
just look at that tail and those gorgeous dotty socks of his :0)
just look at that tail and those gorgeous dotty socks of his :0)

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi woo.gif]
DSC06110.JPG
DSC06111.JPG
DSC06114.JPG
DSC06116.JPG
DSC06124.JPG
DSC06126.JPG

Yogi liked the Yogi size drinking bowl in the paddock 0002.gif]
DSC06108.JPG
DSC06107.JPG
DSC06106.JPG
DSC06109.JPG
:welcome.gif: love4.gif
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

I met this gorgeous fluffy teddy bear today to give him a bit of a groom and get some of the shed undercoat out of him. We had a little stroll through the wood first and a little play in the paddock, where I was treated to a lovely Yogi hug and some very delicate kisses, before heading into the shower room for the grooming. Despite having never met me before and the outrageous heat today, Yogi let me spend a good 45 minutes giving him a brush down. He was less keen on the prospect of a shower off, but still let me give him a shampoo and rinse. After that we went to the paddock with a towel to dry off followed by a much slower paced wander around the wood.

This is a long way off being a good picture of him, but we had such a nice afternoon in the sun I thought I would share it

He's an incredibly laid back and loving boy!
jan&nick

Post by jan&nick »

we walked the adorable yogi bear yesterday when we went in his kennel he was sooo pleased and excited to see us and sooo pleased to get out and about - if neko is a gentle giant then yogi is a size up from that and is a mild mannered goliath - we wondered if yogi would like going in the stream as much as neko does and we were not disappointed he loves ambling up and down the middle of the stream - we passed many dogs on our walk which he totally ignored he is a very laid back dog
xxlynne

Re: Yogi Akita DofB 12.14 Northolt W/E Foster

Post by xxlynne »

Verdi, Janine and their boys came to meet dogs as they had to say goodbye to Nina last week and needed a dog fix. They had a great time and suddenly Yogi was jumping in the back of their car for a weekend foster to see how he gets on with their cat
Yogi5.JPG
Yogi6.JPG
verdi

Post by verdi »

full update later but yogi is smarter than the average bear.he's calm and travelled well.. he is very very friendly but without going crazy and can shift into that akita aloofness which means he doesn't mind being cuddled at all, but he's fine if you are busy and seems happy to snooze or watch the world through the French windows

I will be taking lots of pics.

oh he is amazing with our boys 11 and 7 although they are both tall... 11 yr old is 5.5ft but of course yogi has given them some real perspective over size.

Will keep you posted...
verdi

Post by verdi »

so here's an update... we've got pics but having trouble uploading but will do later

Yogi is mellow. he has brief moments when getting ready to go out where he has a little puppy exuberance but no bad behaviour... so no jumping or not listening just happy

he stayed close to me following me from room to room which was a concern but as he relaxed he went from following to looking up and eventually ended up sleeping in the dining room after walking off during a movie which was nice

we took him for long walk and he is an angel to walk... also played with a football on a long leash ... in true akita fashion he picked it up and we played fetch/Chase. all very mellow

interesting point.... no matter how far or what he was doing the command LEAVE resulted in immediate stop and looking to me ... he's tuned in and has been trained and wants to interact.

not really food driven although cocktail sausages got a 5 minute training srssion

I was worried at bedtime but I turned out light and he glanced up and lay down..

I went up to bed and partially blocked stairs with folded clothes stand..

freshener up and heard some footsteps and looked down landing to see yogi go to ground floor... heard him drink and then return to dining room and believe me you can hear him flomp down.

slept through the night.. no bins raided or anything 😊

oh he didn't bite the mother in law ... but I guess you can't win them all 😉

cat intros slowly today fingers crossed
verdi

Post by verdi »

just some pics showing yogi just being awesome and rolling over for kids which is so not akita :)

Yogi1.jpg

Yogi2.jpg

Yogi3.jpg

20180728_195052.jpg
Last edited by Rescue Remedies_3 on Sat 12 Feb 2022 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected display of attached photos
verdi

Post by verdi »

hey everybody... so this was a weekend foster lol.... and here we are...

Yogi is a very well balanced dog.

he is playful like a puppy but controlled... he mouths me and only me and very gently which is an akita trait

my boys are being carefully watched and also trained in appropriate behaviour but the biggest challenge is when they get told not to cuddle and yogi doe the eyes and puts his head in their lap 😊.

cat introductions are progressing intentionally slowly but they are meeting without being held thru a baby gate and Dexter the cat is not aggressive of skittish ...hes dying to say hi... yogi is calmer than expected and I easily distracted ... they even snoozed 2 metres apart after yogi decided he need a nap and got bored of cat .

we will keep working but I have seen much more chalkenging cat introductions.. so we will.keep working

he smart and the best bit he will.wander off and pick a cool spot to sleep in and is comfortable.

he's only been alone for 20 minutes max and one of his fave sleep spots is the front door in this heat so there he was and all was well.

he won't be alone very often so we can gradually make sure he's comfortable

occasionally barks if there are bumps in the night.... just the right amount and not often but enough to scare anyone causing bumps

will keep you posted
verdi

Post by verdi »

hey everybody

yogi has been doing really well

the cat intros are intentially going slowly... and everything member of the family is actively reinforcing pack structure whenever we intracct

yogi is getting better and quickly calms around the cat and does not obsess and focus.... but we are still building the familiarity and desensitizing him..

slow and steady but getting there

how you are all well

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”