Neko Akita DoB 08.09.07 - 15.10.18

In loving memory ...
Robw

Re: Neko Akita DoB 08.09.07 Partridge Green Foster

Post by Robw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:18 pm

If only all backseat drivers were this fluffy....

SarahW

Post by SarahW » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:50 am

What a wonderful video of Neko with Coco. So gentle with her. What a cracking boy he is. :thanks.gif: 0093.gif :havefun.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

lucyloo

Post by lucyloo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 am

Rob, that pic of him on the patio looking at the camera, can we try and get that as his main photo? The original one doesn't do him justice at all, only because he looks so much more happy and relaxed now..

Robw

Post by Robw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 am

lucyloo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 am
Rob, that pic of him on the patio looking at the camera, can we try and get that as his main photo? The original one doesn't do him justice at all, only because he looks so much more happy and relaxed now..
Good idea, needs Lynne or a forum admin/mod to edit the original post. I'm happy to share the original image or it can be downloaded from imgur by clicking on it.

Robw

Post by Robw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 am

Neko had a trip up to meet Mark the vet for a look at his ear yesterday, he's been much less sensitive about me touching and cleaning the outside of it over the last week which is a big improvement. After giving Neko a nice sedative the inside of his ear was given a good clean out which meant Mark could then see what was happening deeper inside the ear canal. Unfortunately what he saw was not great, the infection has obviously been present and untreated for a long time prior to him coming into RR care, this has resulted in the soft cartilage of the inner ear becoming calcified and effectively turning to hard bone, there are also ulcers all the way down the ear canal from the infection attacking the fleshy part of the ear. The ulcers and the hard lump of bone will have been causing the poor lad chronic pain for a significant amount of time. The previous treatment Mark had prescribed combined with the cleaning have helped to reduce the amount of pus and blood stuck in the ear, this meant a more targeted approach to attempt to deal with the infection directly can be made, and as a result Neko now has some ear drops that contain the necessary antibiotics. He also has some anti-inflammatory meds to help with the pain and try to reduce the swelling.

All of the above doesn't seem to stop him from having a bit of fun now and then, I finally managed to catch him in a bit of raggy play with Coco. Neko is 48Kg and Coco is 16Kg, so this isn't a very fair match, but they still seemed to enjoy it.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

nada.c

Post by nada.c » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Neko is an amazing dog - to have had that kind of ear pain and yet remain the gentle giant that he is! Thank you for taking care of Neko while he gets better :thanks.gif:

(Great video of Neko playing with Coco!)
We love walking our kennel dogs! If you'd like to volunteer too:
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Robw

Post by Robw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 pm

After a week of ear drops the gunk coming out of his Neko's ear has decreased to virtually nothing, which must be making a massive improvement in quality of life for him. The anti-inflammatory meds have also made a difference and he hasn't been worrying at the ear or crying/whining from the pain. We've agreed with the vet that continuing with all the medication for another week, then taking him in for an examination is the best way forward. Fingers crossed that the improvement I have seen in him externally is a reflection of what is going on internally.

This gives me another 7 days to perfect the art of sneaking up on him while he is asleep, like some strange syringe wielding ninja, because getting ear drops into a 48Kg lump who doesn't want to co-operate is the very definition of "not fun".

Robw

Post by Robw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 am

Neko went off to the vets again yesterday, a place he has come to recognise as somewhere people touch his ear, while the vet and I talked through how his condition had progressed Neko put himself in the corner and tried to do his best to blend in with the wall. He need not have worried because Mark the vet was happy to not attempt to look in his ear and the upshot of our conversation was that while it was certainly on the much improved, it was likely that Neko will need to have antibiotics on a on/off basis to control the infection for the rest of his life. This is mainly due to the fact that the infection is so deep inside the ear that it is almost impossible to eradicate without an operation to remove the entire inner ear, this isn't something that would be undertaken lightly given the size of the operation and the intense after care required.

It's also likely that Neko will need to be permanently on an anti-inflamatory, both to help with the pain caused by the ear infection and his arthritic hips. The difference in his quality of life is very plain to see when he is on these, as I had run out of the supply he had been prescribed in the days prior to yesterday's vet visit. In those few days Neko's movements became much stiffer and it significantly slowed his walking pace, he usually lags behind a bit smelling a nice smell then trots to catch up and overtake to be in front for the next sniffing, without the medicine he was always behind and slowly plodding.

Like all big dogs, Neko doesn't think he is big. He thinks he is a small lapdog. If you aren't prepared for it, you will find nearly 50Kg's of fur, dribble and love perched on top of you.

For some reason this picture makes me think of ruby red slippers.....

Robw

Post by Robw » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm

Neko and I took another journey to the vets today, to give his ear a thorough clean, despite the ear drops being initially helpful the gunk had started to return. In order to give him a proper clean, the fur around his ear was shaved, so he is now sporting a bit of a punky style hairdo

As he has to be sedated for the cleaning I took the opportunity to grab before and after shots of it, I'll not link these as images directly viewable on the forum, because they aren't especially pleasant - Before and After - they give a fair impression of the state of his ear and how much the poor fella must have been suffering. For all of that he is the most laid back and gentle of dogs, even when we went into the vet and a medium sized poodle was barking almost right into his face he was just stoically watching while it calmed down.

Still sleepy after the sedative, my car is an estate with a pretty huge boot, but Neko manages to make it look small!

andyrols

Post by andyrols » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Thank you for looking after him so well, he's such a lovely, gentle boy.

Return to “Rainbow Bridge”