Neko Akita DoB 08.09.07 - 15.10.18

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
jan&nick

Re: Neko Akita DoB 08.09.07 Partridge Green Foster

Post by jan&nick »

glad our fav boy is having a break from kennels he enjoyed his prolonged swim & paddle today and i am sure he will feel a lot better after his de-shedding he is very much a gentle giant
P1010807.JPG
andyrols

Post by andyrols »

Thank you for giving him time out of the kennels and looking after / spoiling him so well. You're doing a great job as well as showing potential families what a chilled and lovely boy he is around the home.
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Things have started to settle in here now, Coco is still a little intimidated by Neko but they are learning each other nicely. For an older boy he has plenty of energy and play in him, he even does a little dance when he realises he is going to be going out! When he tries to play he is incredibly gentle with his mouthing and although he can fit Coco's entire head in his mouth, he clearly has no ill intent towards her. He does a great sit on command and also does a very emphatic "paw" when asked, so emphatic that you had better be braced and ready to receive it!

Alfie the cat is staying out of his way as much as possible, not that Neko has shown the slightest interest in chasing him or even going near him.

He travels really well in the car, originally I put him in the big crate in the boot, but this is clearly too small for him to be comfortable in, so now he travels on the back seat. He loves being able to stick his face out of the window!

We went to Buchan Park for a walk the other day, this has a lake especially for doggy dips, I was very glad I had used a longer lead for this walk else I think I would have gone for a dip as well. As others in the thread have said; Neko loves water. A lot.
He was very muddy when I eventually persuaded him to get out

He is incredibly chilled out and no situation seems to fluster him. He's absolutely fine on a walk, he loves sniffing every tree and bush, he will greet other dogs and people nicely or ignore them if they ignore him(or there is a good smell) This weekend he met my cousins two little children aged 2 and 4(the oldest is very scared of dogs) and Neko was perfect with them, he let them give him strokes before finding a cool spot to lay down.

I honestly can't think of anything really bad to say about him, I think just about the only slightly bad thing is his love of food combined with his size means that it's vital that nothing edible is left within range on kitchen worktops! He is just a smashing boy who is chilled and relaxed, he isn't a dog that is going to drown you in kisses (although he does give incredible delicate ones on occasion) but he does love a fuss once he gets to know you. If you are looking for a low maintenance but dedicated and reliable companion, who as a bonus looks like a teddy bear, you really couldn't go wrong with this boy. Fingers crossed that his forever home is just around the corner! Who could resist having this boy sleeping at their feet?!?
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

I know I only posted an update yesterday, but I also have to share this bit of Coco and Neko having a little play yesterday. I think it shows just what a gentle giant this chap is
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

If only all backseat drivers were this fluffy....

SarahW

Post by SarahW »

What a wonderful video of Neko with Coco. So gentle with her. What a cracking boy he is. :thanks.gif: 0093.gif :havefun.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
lucyloo

Post by lucyloo »

Rob, that pic of him on the patio looking at the camera, can we try and get that as his main photo? The original one doesn't do him justice at all, only because he looks so much more happy and relaxed now..
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

lucyloo wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 08:34 Rob, that pic of him on the patio looking at the camera, can we try and get that as his main photo? The original one doesn't do him justice at all, only because he looks so much more happy and relaxed now..
Good idea, needs Lynne or a forum admin/mod to edit the original post. I'm happy to share the original image or it can be downloaded from imgur by clicking on it.
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Neko had a trip up to meet Mark the vet for a look at his ear yesterday, he's been much less sensitive about me touching and cleaning the outside of it over the last week which is a big improvement. After giving Neko a nice sedative the inside of his ear was given a good clean out which meant Mark could then see what was happening deeper inside the ear canal. Unfortunately what he saw was not great, the infection has obviously been present and untreated for a long time prior to him coming into RR care, this has resulted in the soft cartilage of the inner ear becoming calcified and effectively turning to hard bone, there are also ulcers all the way down the ear canal from the infection attacking the fleshy part of the ear. The ulcers and the hard lump of bone will have been causing the poor lad chronic pain for a significant amount of time. The previous treatment Mark had prescribed combined with the cleaning have helped to reduce the amount of pus and blood stuck in the ear, this meant a more targeted approach to attempt to deal with the infection directly can be made, and as a result Neko now has some ear drops that contain the necessary antibiotics. He also has some anti-inflammatory meds to help with the pain and try to reduce the swelling.

All of the above doesn't seem to stop him from having a bit of fun now and then, I finally managed to catch him in a bit of raggy play with Coco. Neko is 48Kg and Coco is 16Kg, so this isn't a very fair match, but they still seemed to enjoy it.

nada.c

Post by nada.c »

Neko is an amazing dog - to have had that kind of ear pain and yet remain the gentle giant that he is! Thank you for taking care of Neko while he gets better :thanks.gif:

(Great video of Neko playing with Coco!)

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”