Roxie Shepherd Lurcher DofB ?2013 Reading

Dogs that have found their forever home
SarahB(froggs)

Re: Roxie Shepherd Lurcher DofB ?2013 Guildford Kenns

Post by SarahB(froggs) »

SimonF. .....thank you for a fabulous videos! :cool.gif:
I've been looking out for any updates on this fantastic girl. Roxie is such a loving girl and to see her enjoying her run and responding to you is great to see thumbs.gif
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Right I'm beyond confused by Roxie's continued presence in kennels. She is funny, bright, affectionate and a striking looking dog. She is aware of her strength and chooses to be gentle, a more wonderful large dog you will struggle to find.
roxie3.jpg
SimonF

Re: Roxie Shepherd Lurcher DofB ?2013 Reading Foster

Post by SimonF »

After losing my gorgeous Charlie Cat to old age a few weeks ago my flat had been too quiet.

So, after filling in a Fostering questionnaire and having Mrs P and her lovely dogs Peppermint and Tizer checking out my home and approving it I was able to offer one of the Guildford lovelies a couple of nights at mine.

Well I am so happy to say that the amazing Roxie is with me and bringing a huge smile to my face.
She travelled without a sound all the way to Reading in a crate in my van with me being able give her some head rubs and chin tickles when traffic allowed.

Once home she went up to the 5th floor in the lift without phasing her and then had a good old sniff around my flat. After she had given me the nod of approval we went for a Walk by the Thames as the light faded which saw Roxie on her best behaviour passing people and dogs.
Back in the flat dinner was served and this was eaten so quietly and calmly. She didn't 'wolf' it down and has left some, returning throughout the evening. Such a well mannered girl.

She's sprawled out in my front room snoring away with her paws twitching every now and then. So adorable.

Well the first night has passed and all I can say is WOW!!!

Roxie chilled on the sofa with me, the floor by my feet or on the rug and also in her bed.
She has the option to go to the bedroom or hall for her own space but she opted to stay and keep me company.
After her last walk of the day we watched a bit of TV(she approves of Gotham) and then she told me it was time for sleep by walking past, and then back to me and nudging me.

I jumped into bed and Roxie decided she wanted a cuddle so she popped onto the duvet and lay down full length facing me with her head on the pillow. She then put her paw on my hand. It was a true bonding moment and was so perfect....right up to the moment she decided that a Roxie trump would add to the ambiance. I had to laugh!!

She then jumped onto her big pillow and slept through without a sound all night (00:00-07:00) until I woke up. I was met by a big smile, wagging tail and a sloppy Roxie kiss.

We've been out for a quick walk and she's done her business so it's time for some breakfast before a day out walking in Swinley forest.
I really can't emphasise how easy this girl is in a home!!

Well while Roxie is collapsed and snoring on the sofa after our 8 miles around Swinley Forest I thought I'd update this a little.
Roxie travelled well in the crate again and was fine with me popping into Pets at Home for a larger collapsible bowl and some special treats for later. I was going to take her in but 3 separate little furry dogs went in first and, as they are Roxie's Kryptonite, we decided it would be best for her to chill for 5 mins.

In the forest she was amazing and was tracking scents left and right. We had a squirrel overdose with hundreds passing by and across our path. After the first 20 or so she would get alert by not pull. We were nearly eating Pheasant tonight but due to a fast reacting bird and me nearly as fast on the lead we saw it fly away in splendour. I don't think Roxie would have injured it, it was just the shock of discovering it inches from her face while nosing about.

We also met a couple of units of soldiers on manoeuvres and Roxie responded so well to my instructions to walk close to me in between them. They were in full kit and armed so could look intimidating to human and canine alike but she did us so proud with compliments from the platoon leader on her attentiveness an response. She even asked if she was a service dog.

On the return journey I felt comfortable with Roxie and her traveling so I folded the crate and put it in its storage. I'd bought another big cushion so Roxie settled on this while I clipped her into the EZDog seat belt clip. I linked my lead into this so she had 3.5ft of lead so could chill on the floor but still be clipped in. She sat down all the way back to Reading, only popping her head through the gap in the seats for a little nose rub.

I'm amazed more and more by this girl an am struggling to see why she has spent so much time in kennels. She is proving that you don't need a huge home with an enormous garden as she's a big dog, although that would be nice. She needs minimal space as long as she can chose where that is and can chill. As long a you can take her for walks and give her the love and care she needs she will be your best friend and reward you in only the way having a dog can.

I'm enjoying her company so much I'm asking to be allowed to bring her back for overnights after my walking at Guildford until Monday. She has impressed me that much love4.gif
Rox1.jpg
Rox2.jpg
Rox3.jpg
Rox4.jpg
Rox5.jpg
Rox6.jpg
Rox7.jpg
Rox8.jpg
Rox9.jpg
SimonF

Post by SimonF »

Well.......

I'm having a dirty weekend with a leggy German and things have got filthy!!

That's because I have the lovely Roxie the GSDx Lurcher with me and we ventured to South Wales for some mountain running today.

She travels amazingly well in my Van and will sit on the front seat or lay down on the floor in the rear. I have clamps on the roof that allow her to have a lead attached but have some movement.

We stopped once we got to Wales for a pee break and then straight on to the Brecon Beacons for our run.
We ran The Fan Dance which includes Pen Y Van which is the highest peak in the South of England and South Wales. It's also the selection route for the SAS candidates with 6000ft of ascent and descent.........and we ran it 0002.gif]

Roxie was so well behaved throughout, although she did want to see what was in the mist at the sides of us and did pull once to go see. As it was a 2000ft drop we used our 'Stop!' which she knows means freeze and look at me. We don't use it very often as its a safety call and she knows it's important if I use it. Good girl Roxie love4.gif

We passed many people and not once did she alter her gaze and try to approach, lick, enter their space or move toward them. She really is that good.
We met a few dogs on and off lead which weren't an issue as she was so focuses, which was the same for the sheep, although she did pull a little bit that was curiosity without malice. Perfect manners.

We got FILTHY!!!!!!! There was so much ground water from start to finish but luckily there is a stream that is about a mile from the end which I usually drop into a 3ft plunge pool as it is lovely and cool and refreshes my old aching bones. Roxie went in and I gave her a wash turning the water brown with the amount of mud. It was amazing as when I dried her off at the van her fur is so smooth love4.gif

We did the return journey of 2.5hrs and 140 miles in one hit as she slept all the way. Funny that thumbs.gif

She's had her dinner and is sleeping by my sofa. I can't emphasise how easy this girl is in a home, out and about and in a car.
I genuinely love this girl to bits love4.gif

If you can offer this girl a home then please read her forum thread carefully and get that questionnaire in. You won't regret it.

Today the highest dog in the South of England and Wales was a Rescue Remedies dog named Roxie
Today, the highest dog in the South Of England and Wales was a Rescue Remedies dog named Roxie (",)
Today, the highest dog in the South Of England and Wales was a Rescue Remedies dog named Roxie (",)
Are we nearly there yet??
Are we nearly there yet??
It looks a little misty up top
It looks a little misty up top
Even on a dull day this girl shines through.
Even on a dull day this girl shines through.
A well deserved rest.
A well deserved rest.
Sleepy Girl
Sleepy Girl
Christinetully

Post by Christinetully »

What a real joy to see Roxie having such fun! What a great companion she is angel13.gif] OK Big angel! I look forward to reading about the next trip out thumbs.gif
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

What a fabulous post; such a great description of your and Roxie’s mountain run.
Thanks for sharing your adventure; the great outdoors is awesome 0093.gif
xxlynne

Re: Roxie Shepherd Lurcher DofB ?2013 Reading

Post by xxlynne »

Roxie and Simon are now an item and what a fabulous life they will share together Thank you Simon for the time and love you have given already to Roxie she has grown in confidence and skills greatly and has begun to flourish into the exceptional dog she is destined to be
Fred R

Post by Fred R »

xxlynne wrote:Roxie and Simon are now an item . . .
Who would have thunk? :smiley-signs002.gif: Brilliant news - and massive congratulations! :goodjob.gif: :havefun.gif: :smiley-bounce016.gi:
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Marvellous news, but hardly surprising hehe. :cool.gif: :havefun.gif: :thanks.gif: :goodluck.gif:
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
AlisonC

Post by AlisonC »

Yay! :smiley-bounce016.gi: :smiley-dance017.gif: woo.gif]

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”