Benson Labrador x DofB 01.09.14 Chessington Kenns

Rescue Remedies dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption

Benson Labrador x DofB 01.09.14 Chessington Kenns

Postby xxlynne » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Current Status: Available

Benson34.JPG

Benson's Story: Benson was vaccinated as a puppy and kept in the garden shed sleeping on a wooden pallet with a scrap of old carpet on topn. Fed in 3 cans for dog food 2x a day. Fine with the children, very friendly and loving boy. In original home he was in with children aged 1, 4 8 11 and 15.. Never met dogs, never walked. Given into Rescue at 2 years of age. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving his life. Will be neutered; chipped and vaccinations in progress. Benson is currently in our Chessington Kenns.

Benson was homed for a week and after a couple of accidents became house trained and respected his home. He lost his home as his dog skills were too novice

PLEASE NOTE: Dog laws have changed with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters for at least 4 months until sure of their dogs instincts & skills, most of our dogs will need to be retained always on a lead, so as not to place dog's lives at risk, (Destruction or Control Orders are common place nowadays).

***PLEASE HELP OUR LONG STAY DOGS: Our min. adoption donation £175, which supports our work and Is non returnable. We will offer an alternative dog should our dog not settle given adequate time and reassurance. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life and exist on the goodwill of our supporters and volunteers.

Please click for Benson's thread for regular updates, new pictures and videos. To apply to home a dog, you must be ready within 7 days and complete a homing questionnaire submitted Online We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes and can be talking to up to 10 families at any one time. Please remain open: We have the dogs we have. Our dogs need a supportive family to offer patience, time & tolerance to allow them to settle.
Benson35.JPG
Benson38.JPG
Benson54.JPG

Benson's progress through our Rescue below
Original Referral information : We work with our dogs & often reveal a different picture & positive skills as they build trust. 06.02.17: We have taken Benson over from another Rescue as his dog skills have been affected by an altercation when he and other Rescue dog got their leads tangled.
benson.jpg
Benson3.jpg
Benson92.jpg
xxlynne

Re: Benson Labrador x DofB 01.09.14 Chessington Kenns

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:57 pm

I spent a couple of hours with Benson on Saturday afternoon. We had a very nice walk, Benson was well behaved and enjoys interaction with people.

As per his profile, and a previous entanglement in the RR car park, Benson was nervous and very apprehensive walking from the centre to the entrance and had to be reassured (NB no such problems on the way back), but once outside the gate no problems.

Benson was wearing a muzzle as I was told, as he is frightened of other dogs, when we did encounter other dogs he cowered a little but was not aggressive. No problems with people (or indeed horses happily gnawing away at a fence). As we walked Benson stopped occasionally, and I found that saying "walkies" at a high pitch had him moving again very easily, and he understands basic commands.

Benson enjoys human contact. From my experience he leans his head into the inside of your knee to be petted. I was told by Sue that Benson will be soon be back to normal re his fears. I hope so. Benson is a lovely companion, and deserves a forever home. I didn't take any pictures - the muzzle is not a selling point but suffice it to say he is as handsome as his profile pictures.
Davidoneill

Postby jacnmrb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 pm

From Phil, my other half and Bobby's dad ....
I had the pleasure of walking Benson for the first time last Friday.
Benson came into Rescue at the age of 2 years never having met a dog and spending those years living in a back garden. He is wearing a soft cloth muzzle at the moment while he learns how to meet dogs.

Benson was very reluctant to leave the kennel collection area and walk up the long driveway. It took a lot of 'good boys' and gentle coaxing to get him to the open field but he made it; well done, Benson, it's not easy when the big, wide world is new to you. Once there, I put him on a 10 metre trail lead and he loved the freedom. I could tell that he really wanted to run but, unfortunately, I can't. Every 3 metres or so, Benson tried to get the muzzle off before eventually he just lay down with a big sigh. I took this as an opportunity to stroke his tummy and paws and have a chat with him. After this, he got up and off we went on a good walk during which his sniffed, smelled and did lots of things that a dog should do on a walk.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Two dogs passed us about 3 metres away (owner put them on leads when I asked) and I held Benson's harness. He made no move towards them but just looked; good boy. When we returned to the kennels, I gave the kennel staff all the biscuits I had left for Benson. I hope he enjoyed them. I am looking forward to our next walk together.
Last edited by jacnmrb on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jacnmrb

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm

I was out with Benson on Saturday - saw a marked improvement in his walking up the drive out of RR - no fretting or reluctance from Benson at all. We stopped at the top of the gate so Benson could be praised and stroked.

He is very affectionate and likes to stop regularly to nestle in your knees. An easy walk for 2 hours on the lead. Met a few dogs on our journey - the tiny ones caused Benson more agitation than the larger, although Benson was not aggressive.

We stopped for a while so Benson could sunbathe and have his tummy rubbed, and what pleased me most was that Benson seemed a lot more relaxed - and he'd been out Friday so I am really hoping Benson can be mussle free soon. One of my favourites, Benson is a great companion and has so much to offer.
Davidoneill

Postby jacnmrb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:32 pm

On Tuesday, I was advised that Benson wouldn't go for a walk the day before but decided to try and coax him out; no rush. He was reluctant so we spent 30 minutes just sitting in the car park enjoying cuddles, having a chat and walking around sniffing.

Eventually we managed to get up to the road and down to the fields where I put him on the 10m trail lead. A dog walker came up behind us which caused Benson to get anxious and keep looking back. Benson and I moved to the side to let the pack go through and as they did, I asked the walker if we could follow at a distance to get Benson comfortable and walking again. This we did and it worked a treat.

When the dog walker and her pack arrived back at their van, Benson and I returned to the kennels, with Benson trotting and me jogging (puffing and panting, see video); so if you felt an earthquake with aftershocks in Chessington South, yes, it was Benson running me, along the bridlepaths, around the woods and back across the fields. As it was a cool day and he was wearing a basket muzzle that enabled him to pant out the heat and take on water if needed, I felt we could do more than last time. Benson LOVED the jogging and I'm sure was disappointed that I don't have the second gear that he has.

Last edited by jacnmrb on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacnmrb

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Went out with Benson Saturday AM for a couple of hours - no problems walking up the drive. What Benson does need is a lot affirmation - a high pitched "walkies" in the style of Barbara Woodhouse is v effective. Benson enjoys walking, does not strain on his lead. We did come across several dogs - at one point we had 3 coming from separate directions, and Benson does get nervous and agitated. Again Benson just needs reassurance, I think as well that when people see his muzzle they get apprehensive - but once I explained Benson's predicament to those other walkers - and Benson charmed them then that was fine. We also encountered a horse out on a ride. No reaction.

Despite never having spent time with Benson without his muzzle, I must say he is very friendly, has great eye contact and enjoys being cuddled and stroked.

Benson has come a long way and has so much to offer anyone willing to share time with him. Lovely chap.
Davidoneill

Postby jacnmrb » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Storm Doris Day 23/02/17 From Phil ....
My last dog of the day was Benson. I clipped on to him, gave him lots of fuss and on this occasion, he only needed a little persuading to get him going; patience and positivity will get him out on his walks.
Benson likes being on the 10M trail lead to have more freedom to sniff, smell, scent mark and explore but with Storm 'Doris' and the high winds, it was difficult to stop him getting tangled up. So we used the 3M Canine Cross Country (Cani-X) lead instead.
Around the open fields, Benson was not worried and seemed to enjoy the wild weather.

Benson tried to get his muzzle off by stretching out on the grass and dragging his head. I rubbed him on his belly and chest and gently but playfully pushed his paws and rocked/rolled him around. He really seemed to enjoy this as he could have got up but just lay there instead. Taking care in the woods, we walked and jogged quickly and did a long loop on the bridle paths then back to the kennels.

Our walk time was 1hour and 50 minutes, our normal length of walk and I really tried to run as much as I could. My best speed enabled Benson to change gear into a trot (just about); I wonder if he could beat Paula Radcliffe...?
A perfect home for this guy would be someone who runs, walks or Nordic walks. Benson would make a great companion and personal fitness instructor.
jacnmrb

Postby jacnmrb » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Thursday 02/03/17 Benson's Walk
From Phil ....
Benson was not playing ball with the kennel staff today but eventually he was ready for his walk (great work). Previously I have had difficulty getting him up the drive and today it was hard going until Benson saw Liz, an experienced dog walker, with the 'lovely Olive' as they came out for their walk. Benson watched them walk past and then... tried to follow them (YES!). 'When in Rome...' as the expression goes, I followed at a distance of between 15 and 25 metres and that was that.

Once into the field I tried to turn onto my normal route but Benson was having none of it. So, I checked with Liz if it was okay to follow her at a distance and both she and Olive said yes and woof, respectively! It was a brilliant walk. With the agreement of Liz, I shot some video to show our walk. Was it Liz or Olive that Benson was following? I don't know but, either way, it got Benson out on a much needed walk.

I don't know why Benson doesn't want to go out for a walk, but this seems to be a very positive solution; 'Buddy walking at a distance'.

Walk Summary
Awesome for Benson to get out for a walk. Sheer luck finding a solution that works. Thank you Liz and Olive for letting us follow you around. It made mine and Liz's day to make Benson's day!
Food for thought. What if next time I took Olive and Liz took Benson?
jacnmrb

Postby nada.c » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:10 pm

It's really good to see video posts from Phil and davidoneill showing Benson on his walks!

I met Benson for the very first time today as we went out with new walker Kimmie. We only got as far up the drive and then turned left when his lack of confidence showed around going any further. So we stopped and gave him cuddles and reassurance. He will nuzzle into your arms or legs or just lean in. Very keen to receive affection.

On our next walk, we'll be sure to buddy up with another walker and dog to help bolster his confidence. Oh, and despite being a large dog, he doesn't pull!

Benson has had a deprived start to life but our positive experiences with lovely dogs like Dusty, Steve and Eliah, who also had poor starts in life, just show that with time, persistence and love that we'll see him grow into the boy he was meant to be 0028.gif
We love walking our kennel dogs! If you'd like to volunteer too, please complete the volunteer dog walker questionnaire:
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/
nada.c

Postby Sarahk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Beautiful big boy Benson love4.gif
DSC03734.JPG
DSC03742.JPG
DSC03738.JPG
DSC03735.JPG
DSC03754.JPG
DSC03757.JPG
DSC03743.JPG
DSC03736.JPG
DSC03749.JPG
DSC03753.JPG

Full of love, full of life thumbs.gif
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Sarahk

Postby jacnmrb » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:01 pm

From Phil ....
Thursday 9th March - Benson's Walk
Apologies for not doing Monday 6th write up as I was not very well afterwards.
As usual, Benson was reluctant to leave the transition (staff/dog walker handover point) area. We walked around for a bit but he hung back causing his harness to appear to come over his head. Recently, I have used Liz (RR dog walker) with a dog to act as a lure to get him up the drive and around for a much needed big walk. Liz had already gone so, after more pulling from Benson, I, ahem, picked him up and carried him to the office to sign out. Benson is a heavy dog so don't try this. I used to be a Tuba player in the Army; Trooping the colour, Beating the Retreat and State Occcasions. Fortunately he is lighter than my tuba. The lady from the Labrador Rescue said she would walk with him up the drive but Benson just ignored her. Oh well, here we go. I picked him up (really, don't do this folks), he whacked his muzzle into me and then I carried him about 2/3rds of the way up the drive. Benson's face was a picture. Possibly the last time he was picked was as a puppy, perhaps 10-12 months ago. I put him down and started walking. Every time he tried to pull back, I gently but firmly held his harness like a handle, very gently lifted (not yanked) and then moved him forward like a 'Curling stone on ice".
It worked!
Benson walked and every time he pulled back or tried to remove his muzzle, I repeated the curling stone process. We even jogged down the path to the fields. I also lied to him, telling him to find Liz, Where's Liz, Come on, Let's find Liz. Except that we did find her walking back to the kennels with Hughie so Benson rumbled me. Curses!
so, back to the curling stone technique which worked.
Benson tried to get his muzzle off by dragging himself along the grass so I rolled him onto his back for playtime!

Sometimes, Benson gets between your legs to try and get his muzzle off, so I have started brushing his fur backwards like a Mummy dog cleaning him then smoothing his fur down the right way. This seems to work and calm him down, followed by the 'curling stone technique' and we are off again. A nice big walk keeping to the shade wherever possible, a little bit of jogging for me and fast walk for Benson and frequent stops in the puddles. On the way back to the kennels, I took Benson to Dylan the Hippo's watering hole (see Dylan's post) to cool him down. He had a little paddle and then back home. A big drink while I signed in and while we were waiting for the kennel girls to pop Benson away, he started leaning into me and we had some quality fuss and cuddles.

Walk Summary
Slightly unorthodox but I got Benson out for a walk. Benson was out for 1hour and 45 minutes.
I kept him in the shade as much as was possible with puddles to drink from. I ran, he barely broke into a trot!
A great walk and a nice 5 minutes of fuss and cuddles at the end.
jacnmrb

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Had a great time with Benson on Saturday, we were out in the afternoon for almost 2 hours. Such good company. Benson does have some issues leaving the RR centre up the pathway but today he was a lot better. In anticipation of some reluctance on Benson's part we had a jog up to the gate (well jog in my work shoes) - this worked well - although my knees are now also in need of remedy. Benson wears his muzzle at all times as he is nervous meeting other dogs - quite the contrary with people as he enjoys attention. We met several dogs and Benson was not aggressive, yes there is still a lot of trust to be built up and when we encountered several dogs at the same time, we stayed just for a few seconds before making our way and respecting Benson's boundaries and comfort zone. Other members of the public with their dogs were very stand offish - because of the muzzle - but all were pleasantly surprised by his demeanour during our brief meetings throughout the afternoon.

Whilst out walking Benson was mostly easy on the lead. Naturally he does try and take his muzzle off by rubbing against fences and the ground at the start of his walk, but just needs reassurance, we didn't dwell on it and just kept on walking. For me the key is to constantly talk to Benson - it really makes a massive difference - and occasionally (actually a lot) he does like a cuddle and nestles in for affection. When we got back to RR I took some pictures - without his muzzle - and this is the first time I have seen Benson without it. Such a handsome dog. Benson did not jump up (we had spoken about this during our walk) and posed very well for photos - admittedly I am in them as well but I wanted to show how friendly he is.

My favourite companion at RR. Benson is great, and has yet even more potential to fullfil. And he is a good listener. It is a highlight of my week to spend time with Benson - and above all it is my aspiration for Benson that he finds a forever home.

Benson 5_opt.jpg
Such a handsome dog!

Benson dave_opt.jpg
Without his muzzle - enjoying the photo opportunity
Benson pat_opt.jpg
Very affectionate lad
Benson park_opt.jpg
Meeting other dogs
Davidoneill

Next

Return to 1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS