Benson Labrador x DofB 2015 Chessington Kenns

Rescue Remedies dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption

Benson Labrador x DofB 2015 Chessington Kenns

Postby xxlynne » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Current Status: Available

benson.jpg

Benson's Story: Benson was vaccinated as a puppy and kept in the garden shed sleeping on a wooden pallet with a scrap of old carpet on topn. Fed in 3 cans for dog food 2x a day. Fine with the children, very friendly and loving boy. In original home he was in with children aged 1, 4 8 11 and 15.. Never met dogs, never walked. Given into Rescue at 2 years of age. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving his life. Will be neutered; chipped and vaccinations in progress. Benson is currently in our Chessington Kenns.

Benson was homed for a week and after a couple of accidents became house trained and respected his home. He lost his home as his dog skills were too novice

PLEASE NOTE: Dog laws have changed with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters for at least 4 months until sure of their dogs instincts & skills, most of our dogs will need to be retained always on a lead, so as not to place dog's lives at risk, (Destruction or Control Orders are common place nowadays).

***PLEASE HELP OUR LONG STAY DOGS: Our min. adoption donation £175, which supports our work and Is non returnable. We will offer an alternative dog should our dog not settle given adequate time and reassurance. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life and exist on the goodwill of our supporters and volunteers.

Please click for Benson's thread for regular updates, new pictures and videos. To apply to home a dog, you must be ready within 7 days and complete a homing questionnaire submitted Online We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes and can be talking to up to 10 families at any one time. Please remain open: We have the dogs we have. Our dogs need a supportive family to offer patience, time & tolerance to allow them to settle.
Benson3.jpg
Benson92.jpg

Benson's progress through our Rescue below
Original Referral information : We work with our dogs & often reveal a different picture & positive skills as they build trust. 06.02.17: We have taken Benson over from another Rescue as his dog skills have been affected by an altercation when he and other Rescue dog got their leads tangled.
xxlynne

Re: Benson Labrador x DofB 2015 Chessington Kenns

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:57 pm

I spent a couple of hours with Benson on Saturday afternoon. We had a very nice walk, Benson was well behaved and enjoys interaction with people.

As per his profile, and a previous entanglement in the RR car park, Benson was nervous and very apprehensive walking from the centre to the entrance and had to be reassured (NB no such problems on the way back), but once outside the gate no problems.

Benson was wearing a muzzle as I was told, as he is frightened of other dogs, when we did encounter other dogs he cowered a little but was not aggressive. No problems with people (or indeed horses happily gnawing away at a fence). As we walked Benson stopped occasionally, and I found that saying "walkies" at a high pitch had him moving again very easily, and he understands basic commands.

Benson enjoys human contact. From my experience he leans his head into the inside of your knee to be petted. I was told by Sue that Benson will be soon be back to normal re his fears. I hope so. Benson is a lovely companion, and deserves a forever home. I didn't take any pictures - the muzzle is not a selling point but suffice it to say he is as handsome as his profile pictures.
Davidoneill

Postby jacnmrb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 pm

From Phil, my other half and Bobby's dad ....
I had the pleasure of walking Benson for the first time last Friday.
Benson came into Rescue at the age of 2 years never having met a dog and spending those years living in a back garden. He is wearing a soft cloth muzzle at the moment while he learns how to meet dogs.

Benson was very reluctant to leave the kennel collection area and walk up the long driveway. It took a lot of 'good boys' and gentle coaxing to get him to the open field but he made it; well done, Benson, it's not easy when the big, wide world is new to you. Once there, I put him on a 10 metre trail lead and he loved the freedom. I could tell that he really wanted to run but, unfortunately, I can't. Every 3 metres or so, Benson tried to get the muzzle off before eventually he just lay down with a big sigh. I took this as an opportunity to stroke his tummy and paws and have a chat with him. After this, he got up and off we went on a good walk during which his sniffed, smelled and did lots of things that a dog should do on a walk.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Two dogs passed us about 3 metres away (owner put them on leads when I asked) and I held Benson's harness. He made no move towards them but just looked; good boy. When we returned to the kennels, I gave the kennel staff all the biscuits I had left for Benson. I hope he enjoyed them. I am looking forward to our next walk together.
Last edited by jacnmrb on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jacnmrb

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:09 pm

I was out with Benson on Saturday - saw a marked improvement in his walking up the drive out of RR - no fretting or reluctance from Benson at all. We stopped at the top of the gate so Benson could be praised and stroked.

He is very affectionate and likes to stop regularly to nestle in your knees. An easy walk for 2 hours on the lead. Met a few dogs on our journey - the tiny ones caused Benson more agitation than the larger, although Benson was not aggressive.

We stopped for a while so Benson could sunbathe and have his tummy rubbed, and what pleased me most was that Benson seemed a lot more relaxed - and he'd been out Friday so I am really hoping Benson can be mussle free soon. One of my favourites, Benson is a great companion and has so much to offer.
Davidoneill

Postby jacnmrb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:32 pm

On Tuesday, I was advised that Benson wouldn't go for a walk the day before but decided to try and coax him out; no rush. He was reluctant so we spent 30 minutes just sitting in the car park enjoying cuddles, having a chat and walking around sniffing.

Eventually we managed to get up to the road and down to the fields where I put him on the 10m trail lead. A dog walker came up behind us which caused Benson to get anxious and keep looking back. Benson and I moved to the side to let the pack go through and as they did, I asked the walker if we could follow at a distance to get Benson comfortable and walking again. This we did and it worked a treat.

When the dog walker and her pack arrived back at their van, Benson and I returned to the kennels, with Benson trotting and me jogging (puffing and panting, see video); so if you felt an earthquake with aftershocks in Chessington South, yes, it was Benson running me, along the bridlepaths, around the woods and back across the fields. As it was a cool day and he was wearing a basket muzzle that enabled him to pant out the heat and take on water if needed, I felt we could do more than last time. Benson LOVED the jogging and I'm sure was disappointed that I don't have the second gear that he has.
jacnmrb

Return to 1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS