Hooch Shar Pei x DofB 18.09.15 Basildon

Dogs that have found their forever home
Lynds

Re: Hooch Shar Pei x DofB 18.09.15 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Lynds »

Hooch was telling me this weekend that he has had some nice walks lately with Barry. Then when we saw Barry in the distance Hooch was clearly very keen to see him.
What was nice was that we then all had a chance to give Hooch some affection. When he is calm he is very affectionate and even rolled over onto his back for a tummy tickle. It was lovely to have that chance to bond and be relaxed together because when Hooch is out on his walks he is 100% focussed on sniffing about and being excited and a little hyper sometimes. So we normally just focus on the walk and being calm rather than cuddles.
It really showed me on Sunday that if Hooch had the chance to be out of kennels and had humans who could invest a lot of time in containing his fizzy moments and rewarding this calm and soft side that i hadn't previously seen then he could really blossom. It was a real privilege to see this boy revealing his true self in his calm state with Barry and laying to one side the puppyness for a while. I am sure with a forever home this balance would shift far more rapidly.

Here are some pics of our walk. He always looks so serious, which I find very sweet. Lovely pup.
Never stop sniffing!
Never stop sniffing!
Gorgeous black nose
Gorgeous black nose
Lynds

Post by Lynds »

We had a lovely trip out round the heath with Hooch yesterday.

He was in a really affectionate mood. He LOVED having his tummy rubbed in the warm sunshine and we were more than happy to stroke his lovely smooth coat and see his beautiful baby face enjoying some attention and time out of kennels.

He gets a little excited when we leave the kennel block and goes a bit bouncy and fizzy, but as our walk goes on you can see him getting into the groove and enjoying the moment. His nose goes down and he explores the world with that gorgeous black sniffing machine.

He really did seem to be saying to us yesterday, 'I know I am sometimes a bit energetic, but today I just want some love and cuddles like everyone does, please can I have some affection and fuss?'

To which we replied 'Of course!' And caught the following snaps. Lucky us. It was wonderful to give home the love he deserves. He really is just a baby. I am really getting to love him.
Stroke me!
Stroke me!
Pulling my Basil Brush face
Pulling my Basil Brush face
I'll just stand up for a minute
I'll just stand up for a minute
But don't stop stroking me, please
But don't stop stroking me, please
Happy boy
Happy boy
Cheeky baby boy sticking his tongue out
Cheeky baby boy sticking his tongue out
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Hooch had a little adventure today, he enjoyed a short walk by the kennels then hopped into Charlie's car and we headed off to her mums and lucky Hooch got to explore the lanes near her house in the lovely sunshine thumbs.gif
Hooch was intrigued by all the new smells :D
IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
Bless him he hardly picked his head up !!!
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly »

Apologies for the lack of photos but rest assured Hooch is still as handsome as ever. Hooch was a little pickle today so couldn't get my phone from my pocket to take any pics. Hooch is not a 'naughty' dog, I can't stress enough what a loving boy he is. He randomly drops to the floor and wants his belly tickled......staying there until he's had his desired quota! Hooch is like a puppy in an adult dogs body so we have to start from the beginning with him and show him what's acceptable and what's not. He means no malice when he does his silliness and starts getting grabby - there's not an aggressive bone in his body. I'm pretty sure with regular walks, firm but fair positive reward based training, Hooch will be just brilliant.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I have had a few walks with Hooch in recent weeks and the more he has got to know me the more I get to see his soppy side! He really is like a big puppy. I don't think Hooch had any training before he came into rescue so he has had a lot to learn but he is smart and keen and is learning to channel that excited energy. With more time and care from the volunteers he will gain more skills and become the lovely young dog he is destined to be.

I have to restrain my urge just to give him a big kiss as I adore his beautiful Shar Pei muzzle, so soft! I do sneak a few little kisses in and Hooch doesn't seem to mind! He also has the most gorgeous eyes. Hooch is becoming a firm favourite of mine!
Beautiful eyes!
Beautiful eyes!
Cuddles with his friend Barry
Cuddles with his friend Barry
Gorgeous boy
Gorgeous boy
So kissable!
So kissable!
Yesterday Hooch met some cows but wasn't that fussed!
Yesterday Hooch met some cows but wasn't that fussed!
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly »

Hooch was a very good boy today, one moment of silliness but other than that he was perfect. He decided he'd rather like to roll on the floor on a dusty pathway today.....he went back to kennels looking slightly less dapper than when we left, bless him. I agree with Sarah W, I don't think he's had any proper training, not his fault at all, but he is keen to learn and responds well to uh uh and gentle persuasion!! Hooch is a lovely boy, randomly rolls on his back to have his tummy tickled, just lays there, legs up in the air with a grin on his face. He doesn't have an aggressive or mean bone in his body, just a few over excited ones. If you stay calm, his silliness doesn't last and he's a pleasure to walk. Xx
Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly »

Hooch was a little pickle for us yesterday but very much enjoyed his off lead time in the paddock. He was calm and well behaved when he'd finished his adventure and obviously this is when he's at his best. Today, he was much, much better for myself and Charlie - we didn't have any unwanted behaviour - he was a pleasure to walk. He decided to plonk himself down on the grass at the side of the road and just watch the world go by. He seemed to really enjoy watching the traffic zoom past - content to just be out with the grass under his belly. Xx
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Hooch enjoying a lie down and tickle in the heat today thumbs.gif
IMG_6063.JPG
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

An update on Hooch: Hooch is needing a lot of rehab. as he has a tendency to engage hard with his mouth and does graze skin.

For the last 3 weeks I have been getting him out of his kennel in the back paddock to run his energy off and try to unwind 'the tight coil of frustrated energy' which is currently defining his character. He needs at least 3/4 hour in the paddock before he is psychologically ready to vacate without a show down in determination to stay. I have developed a system of opening up the paddock gate after 3/4 hour to let him into the enclosed area just outside his gate...he displays craftiness to avoid going back into his run and its a challenge of wits between us. We did have a few attempts of no nonsense harness held and 'in you go' but I was unhappy to allow his energy to rise and turn a little confrontative: In fact that is exactly what I want to move him beyond as this is placing any potential home way out of his range.

Rain is one clear incentive as Hooch runs into his kennel for shelter. His meal is another so we have held back his food so he goes into the paddock then his evening meal is place in sight with obvious ceremony for him to observe and it can work in 20% of the sessions. The last few nights I have met him head on with his hard sharp mouth encounter ON PURPOSE. I have always instinctively not retreated and moved away, despite the sharp scratches encountered...I have tutored others to move into his mouth space and Hooch then moves to engagement and exchange and does soften his mouthiness.

So we are having a 15 minute mouth play session every evening where he is grasping my hand and sometimes sleeve fully into his mouth with eye contact and he is understanding I dont retreat, or force and escalation of 'heat' in the exchange. I am controlling his energy levels and he is learning to respect these also. I present and allow and 'bear' his mouth grasping and always moving forwards into it rather then a hint of retreat. He is beginning to put a lot of licks into the exchange but he is trying to tempt me to move into retreat and challenge me to up the tempo. He is learning as am I, as to how I calm the exchange to finish. We are progressing and we are teaching each other so Hooch can extend his skills beyond 'puppy mannerism' in a fully grown adult'
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Incredible upturn for the last 4 paddock sessions: Each time Hooch has come out of the paddock and 'smooched' pushing his muzzle into my hand, rubbed his body into my arm, rolled over on to his back and offered his belly for rubbing.

Tonight I thought it had reverted as he ran out of the paddock and came running towards me and then toned it into cuddles and contact: He was a little wised up not to go into his kennel so I did test the water and hold his harness and move him towards his kennel, he wriggles past as I wasn't holding firmly and didnt want to force or any form of resistance. Hooch then walked back in softest mood, for a face stroke and I held his head in my hands & kissed his brow and his cheeks and he walked into his kennel.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”