Charlie AmBull DofB 01.10.13 Gatwick Kenns

Rescue Remedies dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption

Charlie AmBull DofB 01.10.13 Gatwick Kenns

Postby xxlynne » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Current Status: Available

Charlie3.jpg

Charlie's Story : Found stray/abandoned & chipped but unclaimed within a council pound: Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place after 1 year waiting with another Rescue. Charlie is neutered; chipped and vaccinated. Charlie arrived into our Rescue in Oct 16

Charlie is a 3 year old American Bulldog (AmBull). Charlie is a character and a half and generally received as a loony goofy lad. Charlie is keen on his walks and can initially play with his leads but as his energy settles away from kennels is a affable and easy to manage. Charlie likes other dogs and during his last placement was regularly mixed with a Shepherd female in the paddock. Charlie is difficult to transport as he immediately looks to get out of his crate and if not in a crate will start to grab to try and anchor his acute stress. Charlie has had sore ears which has needed weekly treatment at our vets so now jumps into the travel crate and is beginning to settle after 20 mins protest. Stressed in kennels Charlie needs a home environment with people who are used to managing large dogs. Charlie hasn't got any 'guardiness' as usually evident with large guard breeds but is mouthy when stressed but well meaning and heart melting whilst he acts out his anxiety.

PLEASE NOTE: Dog laws have changed with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters for at least 4 months when they are sure of their dogs instincts & skills, so as not to place dog's lives at risk (Destruction or Control Orders are common place nowadays).

***PLEASE HELP OUR LONG STAY DOGS: Our min. adoption donation £175, which supports our work and Is non returnable. We will offer an alternative dog should our dog not settle given adequate time and reassurance. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life and exist on the goodwill of our supporters and volunteers.

Please click for Charlie's thread for regular updates, new pictures and videos. To apply to home a dog, you must be ready within 7 days and complete a homing questionnaire submitted Online We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes and can be talking to up to 10 families at any one time. Please remain open: We have the dogs we have. Our dogs need a supportive family to offer patience, time and tolerance to allow them to settle.
Charlie2.jpg
Charlie.jpg

Charlie's progress through our Rescue below
Original Referral information : We work with our dogs & often reveal a different picture & positive skills as they build trust.
xxlynne

Charlie AmBull DofB 1.10.13 West Wales Pound Rescue this w

Postby gsdsuze » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Hello! Charlie has been in eb with us now since February & is the biggest clown of a dog ever! He hasnt a bad bone in his body, just like a bulldozer full of fun!
Thankyou so much for giving him this chance, we are so thrilled for him, he so deserves it!
If I ever figure out how to add pictures here, I will send loads!! :newhere.gif:
gsdsuze

Charlie AmBull DofB 1.10.13 Chessington Kenns

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Had a good walk with Charlie today.
He was v v keen to get going - once we'd established that he wasn't getting in Lynne's magic party bus!
Loves a sniff and an explore.
We encountered 3 kids on a tiny motorbike across the fields and this didn' t phase him one bit.
And we passed and met 3 off lead spaniels, a small black fluffy dog, which wanted to be close friends and they both had a good old sniff, and a jack russell. Charlie was great with all of them and not reactive one bit.
We had some sitting time on a a couple of benches but this didn't last long as he wanted to get exploring.
Like having his back scratched. Sits for treats.
Jonah

Re: Charlie AmBull DofB 1.10.13 Chessington Kenns

Postby gsdsuze » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Charlie and his pal Twinkle. they would spend hours every day together in his last Rescue placement
SAM_4071_opt.jpg
Charlie's girlfriend Twinks is missing him.
gsdsuze

Postby Froggie757 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Took the gorgeous Charlie out for the first time today and he is an absolute sweetie. Fairly strong and keen to get going, we met a couple of dogs along the way and he was polite if a little nervous. I did discover that he really doesn't like buses or big vans, our walk along the pavement was cut short and he was much happier over the fields. Very friendly boy who just needs to burn off a little more energy with regular walks, would love to see him building confidence and getting lots of exercise with his forever family ASAP! 0028.gif
Froggie757

Postby Davidoneill » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Went for a good with Charlie on Saturday morning. He is very well-behaved - we encountered several dogs on our walk, and people. Charlie stops and looks - surprising more at humans, but not in a a confrontational manner just a glance. At no point did he strain on the lead and when we did come to a crossroad Charlie waited for my navigational skills to get us completely lost. I was told that Charlie is recovering from an ear infection so I did not attempt to pet him. A large dog - but very light on his feet - whilst I was ankle deep in mud plodding through a field (lost), not a mark on him. Point is that he did not pull. Charlie did get a little excitable when we returned to RR at lunchtime, and it's a reminder of how strong these dogs are. Charlie would make a great companion given his easy nature and obedience.
Davidoneill

Postby LizS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 am

I've walked Charlie a few times now and he is such a sweet natured dog, so happy and gentle. He has a lot of energy and can be a bit all over the place exploring everything on walks but he rarely pulls. We've met a few on and off lead dogs and he's been very friendly with all of them. He can get a little nervous if there are a lot of dogs together, or a lot of people, we came across quite a large group of young boys all shouting and moving quickly and he looked quite nervous, some of them came over to say hello and he was very friendly, although he didn't look comfortable so I moved us on quickly, poor little guy. He really wants to be off the lead running around and I think he would be good off lead as he seems to know his name and responds well when called. He deserves a loving home! love4.gif
(Its hard to get a good pic of him as he doesn't stay still for long but here's a few blurry ones)
IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG
LizS

Postby gsdsuze » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Looking gorgeous Charlo!! He is brilliant off lead, he wont go far without you!! He isnt brave enough. 0093.gif
gsdsuze

Postby xxlynne » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Charlie went back to the vets today over his sore ear and head shaking. Charlie is difficult to contain in the vets and can end up with 3 of you trying to calm him to inject him. Today I cracked it I took him to the front door and held the handle and he stood posed as though we were about to go for a walk and Debbie our vet nurse injected him no problems Our vet put him under and cleaned his right ear and put a gell plug in which stays there and avoid daily drops.

Charlie is a very emotional dog and really is concerned travelling in the car crate. Charlie will pull anything he can get his teeth too. He has improved though as I noticed on the journey home he stopped his whimpering 10 mins into the journey. He also is becoming more controlled with his mouthing less grabby and more licky. I left Charlie in the vets whilst I took Lexi back to Annie her owner after a minor hernia op. so Charlie could be in the warm for the day.
xxlynne

Postby Froggie757 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm

My second walk with Charlie today and he seems to have really settled at Chessington. He spent most of the time walking beside me, loose lead, and very quickly learnt that I had a pocket full of ham so was on his best behaviour to earn some. He was a pleasure to be with, another gentle AmBull who is worming his way into my heart. It would be so good to see this young boy out with a family to call his own, the best Christmas present he could ask for :crossfingers.gif:
Froggie757

Postby LizS » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:16 am

Charlie came out for a walk with me again today and he was a pleasure to walk as always, he can get a bit excited at times and you can see he just wants to be off running, chasing a ball or something. He really deserves a family to love him (and to play ball with him) because he is a lovely, gentle boy. He's great with other dogs, he can get a bit nervous if there are a big group of them but he's always polite with them. He walks so calmly on the lead and checks back with you every now and again to check he's going the right way etc. I love this gentle boy! love4.gif
LizS

Re: Charlie AmBull DofB 1.10.13 Gatwick Kenns

Postby Debbie(tarakisha) » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:00 pm

Met the gorgeous Charlie today at Gatwick and what a lovely boy he is love4.gif

Upon entering his kennel I received huge hugs and excitement. I asked him where his ball was and he promptly went off to find it, bless his heart. Very easy to harness and will sit on command with a little persuasion from a sausage or two :D

Once out and about we enjoyed a lovely chilled walk. Charlie loves to stop and sniff upon his journey and checks back to ensure all is well. We passed a lady with a collie, a man on his own and 2 squirrels without any reaction at all. He saw a resident cat through a mesh barrier without issue. We spent sometime chilling out on the bench before heading back into the kennel, whereby he said hi to Faye and watched the comings and goings of other dogs well.

Charlie really enjoys human company and has so much love to give love4.gif

Sarah will share today's photos ASAP :smiley-chores002.gif:
Debbie(tarakisha)

Next

Return to 1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS