Missie Labrador x Staffie DOB 2013 Gatwick Kenns

Rescue Remedies dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption
Stu

Re: Missie Labrador x Staffie DOB 2013 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Stu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 am

Took Missie for a long walk on a route we don't often do and I looked around to see a black lab standing behind us which proceeded to say hello to Missie and then followed us for about half a mile with both dogs desperate to play together but with me being the fly in the ointment. It isn't very practical having a big dog on the lead with an off the lead big dog running full pelt at you trying to play. Anyway just as I thought we were starting to get away two other loose dogs appeared from nowhere which we also eventually managed to get away from. Missie was very good throughout and it just shows how great she is with other dogs. I probably won't use that route again for a while.

Lynds

Post by Lynds » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Missie fans,

Apologies for the delayed posting of this update, but I have been super busy.
Anyway, we had the pleasure of Missie staying for a sleepover a couple of weeks ago. She was amazing.

Missie has successfully lived with a family before and been a cherished pet. It really shows. She still has all the ‘skills’ required to live happily in a home and with no bother for an owner. Then anything a forever home wanted to teach her, she would quickly learn anyway as she is super smart.

Missie’s home skills include:
- Sleeping beautifully through the night. We didn’t hear a peep from her and she was sleeping downstairs whilst we went upstairs to bed. No separation anxiety or night time naughtiness. Just great, sensible behaviour.

- House training. Missie is perfectly house trained. You see that from her toilet behaviour in kennels and she was perfect in our house too. Once we showed her that the back garden is the place to go, she then remembered that and when she wanted to powder her nose again, she simply walked to the back door and told us. Super smart. Only needs to be shown something once.

- Food manners. Missie had her dinner at our house and was quite happy with me walking around nearby in the kitchen. She showed no guarding tendencies or negative behaviour and was very relaxed. In fact, I have previously sat in her kennel with her while just a foot away while she was having breakfast and she has casually munched away. So it wasn’t a fluke. Very calm and polite.

- Politeness around humans when they are eating. I had dinner and breakfast in Missie’s presence. While I ate dinner at the table she kept a polite distance and showed just minor interest, no begging, no approach, no excitement. Such a good girl. Ditto the next day when I had breakfast on the sofa, she could easily have mugged me for my Weetabix but instead sat at my feet and acted as a foot warmer.

- No separation anxiety when one of us went out. We didn’t test Missie on her separation with both of us going out, but she seemed ok when we took it in turns to visit the gym. She seemed happy enough for her ‘pack’ to separate and relaxed enough to know we would reunite at some point.

So I think you will agree that that makes for a pretty strong CV! Missie is sooooo ready for a forever home. She just needs the right people to come along and she will slot straight in. In the meantime, we will definitely have her back for more sleepovers. She was no bother at all and a real pleasure to be with. She just needs to be kept calm to start with and then she goes with the flow.

She also likes Strictly Come Dancing rather than X Factor, but will consider offers from fans of either show.

Here are some photographs from her stay. I adore her as you can probably tell.
1F76EDCC-6B28-45B0-A672-95562BDD56AB.jpeg
What a beauty!!!
97E5D04E-3FF9-4702-ACA3-711F9EC33712.jpeg
Queen of the castle
80C1909D-B2C6-4F6D-AA00-9A98601759D5.jpeg
Missie arrived and sniffed/sussed the place out.
1B736AFE-59BC-4F11-B6F8-2DCCE3EE7637.jpeg
Then it was dinner time
9F769297-5C3B-4F0A-9CFE-351297C64E92.jpeg
Mmm nice full tummy
3F63BE34-6191-4156-A550-0B7FC2591EC9.jpeg
Post dinner chill out. Enjoying the warm tiles.
8F8768DD-F0FE-4FEA-9F1D-8C1F9D8AAE4C.jpeg
Watching me eat from a polite distance
CED5E81B-DCBF-40FE-BE7C-037D2394BEF2.jpeg
Watching Strictly. She prefers Latin to Ballroom
F6599F4F-E182-41D5-A3CA-82BD28FE3259.jpeg
A nice long morning walk after a cosy night’s Sleep

Lynds

Post by Lynds » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi all

Sorry, haven’t posted a Missie update in a while. But just before Christmas she came for another sleepover which I didn’t get around to telling you about.

This time we decided to keep our dog at home for the night too. As previously posted on here, Missie has met Dotty before and they got on well. Probably too well. Dotty is a very excitable dog and the key to unlocking Missie’s best self is to keep her calm. But anyway, we gave it a whirl and kept them calm and separate for most of the evening. Otherwise Dotty would have undoubtedly have instigated a wrestle and a play fight and our lounge isn’t big enough for two big excitable dogs to have a royal rumble!

So that’s the context of the photo below. They loved to be together but to keep them calm, they had to bond through the glass doors. So cute.

Missie was a really good girl again when she stayed over. Her manners are impeccable and she seems to know that human dinner time means ‘nothing for me, I will have a snooze under the table’.

So, Here they are having a chill together... ‘my’ two girls. I cannot wait for the day that someone snaps Missie up and nabs all that special love she has for themselves. She is magical.
6F651B56-6FF2-437F-BEB9-30FD59092CEA.jpeg
‘I Love you Dotty’, said Missie, ‘I love you too Missie’, replied Dotty

Lynds

Post by Lynds » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:15 pm

And one other thing I keep forgetting to share is Missie’s obedience and road sense. She will sit nicely and wait to cross a road.

Likewise she knows when we are going down a steep slope that she needs to go slowly.

Stuart has taught this stuff, but I just wanted to show it in action...
FC4047F3-B88E-4969-9910-C54EAFED294C.jpeg
4561B999-F9C5-43D4-AE13-BF2B53BB857D.jpeg
Such a good girl

Chapmania

Post by Chapmania » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Jim walked Missie for the first time today. I joined them too. Missie showed Jim what a good girl she is. Walking nice and calmly, crossing the roads well and taking no notice of the traffic. Everybody who meets Missie loves her. She is good with other dogs and is so friendly and loving. Especially if you have treats in your pocket! It really saddens me that Missie still finds herself in kennels. She really deserves a home to call her own. Smashing girl Heart fill with love.gif] xx
20180107_143718.jpg
20180107_143745.jpg

CoraMc

Post by CoraMc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Missie really is like a kennel celebrity; everyone knows who she is and how amazing she is. She is super friendly and has taken a new apartment on the edge of the kennels, which suits her social side no end! She greets everyone who comes into the kennels with a friendly smile, a quick check to see if there are treats ;) and is very happy to be petted. If you linger with her without going into her kennels, she will sit for you and offer a paw, not in expectation you'll give her something, it's as if she's being companionable.

But! If Missie knows it's walkies time, she becomes joy unending!! She will call to you, sing to you and generally make you feel like you're the best person in the world! Despite her size, she's not difficult to harness, she walks around with you a little but is just so keen to come out with you.

As I've said, to know MIssie is to love her; she has a massive heart that is in keeping with her sizeable stature and she's all love!! She's overdue her forever home and nothing would make her happier than to dance back into a home again, this time for good. She is so ready right now.

Lynds

Post by Lynds » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Cora sums up Missie so well.

It’s all about love with her.
She has so much love to give and she is dying to give it.
Which works for us as we love to receive it and reciprocate.

Our weekly walk takes us via a park bench, which is now called the cuddle bench. We like to stop off for a few minutes, away from the hustle and bustle of the kennels and sit down for some cuddles. Missie loves to lean in towards your leg and press you into place on the bench. Today we took in the lovely winter sunshine and wished for a forever home for our beautiful girl.

I struggle to articulate how wonderful Missie Moo is.
4BE77831-C3F8-40E2-889F-3BC0D8E26044.jpeg
-I marvel at her brains
-I am in awe of her good cheer and positivity after all the time in kennels.
-I cherish the affection she shares with us and feel lucky to be her pal.

I just wish so much for her to find the family for her. They will be so lucky and proud to parade her around their town like we do.

Here are some photos from the cuddle bench today
52EDD7A3-DEA9-476C-9809-51A281A572C2.jpeg
799C0C6D-96C7-4D6C-96E7-DDEBD1F8A41C.jpeg

Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Although not everyone's cup of tea Missie absolutely loves the snow and ice and she was beside herself with excitement this morning in the snow with lots of rolling and commando crawling. I think i will need to get a head cam because trying to deal with walking Missie and taking pictures is too challenging for me particularly with poor circulation in my fingers.

Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Missie always welcomes me when I walk into the kennel block, she looks at me with her stunning eyes and melts my soul. Most days all she gets is a snack from me and a cheery hello but today it was Missie's turn for a stroll.
Kim and I gave Missie a pavement walk into the village. She was pleasant and easy to walk and walked to heel. Wasn't fussed by traffic and was attentive to commands.
We walked through the woods on the way back, where she stared at a squeaky squirrel.
Thanks for a great walk Missie.

20180311_114153.jpg
20180311_114112.jpg

Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Missie and I do lots of different walks together and I try to let her choose where she wants to go within reason. Her favourite walk is across the fields but I have also realised recently that she has worked out the longest routes we walk and tries hard at key decision points to ensure she gets the longest walk possible. I try hard to create circular walks for us and Missie is now very good at choosing the biggest circles. Missie has lots of wonderful qualities aside from being very bright not least of which is the fact that she is very much an all weather dog.

Return to “1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS”