DIY dog chew toys

pits

DIY dog chew toys

Post by pits » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:29 pm

I've just tried this. I've made several in the past, but these are thicker and chewier I expect for a dog so they should work well. and they can be washed from the sounds of it. I cut strips from old t-shirts to make it with, cutting a strip from the side seam up around the neck and back down the other side to get a 91cm/1 yard type length, so you effectively only get 2 strips from one t-shirt. Cord/rope could also be used I think. Here's the article link that I used: http://teamunruly.com/?p=3301

Here's my attempt :D
rsz_toy.jpg

DorsetSarah

Re: DIY dog chew toys

Post by DorsetSarah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:27 am

Cool! I might have a bash at that. Precious doesn't just chew up all the toys, she tries to eat them too. So I've had to remove all our plastic toys, balls etc. And she got string wrapped round her teeth (which luckily the vet was able to remove - the string, not the teeth!) so I've now removed all the rope toys as well. She loves nylabones and antler chews, but we need more toys, indestructible ones.

pits

Post by pits » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm

If you try it out let us know how it goes! I now have a foster dog and he seems to prefer the very hard rubber toys most, but what each dog prefers maybe differs from dog to dog. He does like chewing this DIY toy I made, but he prefers to play with it in a tug of war kind of way with me, or when I throw it to him or wave it in front of him. Depending what you use to make it with, that will make a harder or chewier toy too. I've been reading up what is safest to use for dogs, and it seems that hemp rope is digestible, or it at least passes through, so if your dog does chew apart any toy, using a digestible kind of rope like hemp rope could be the best idea. I'm not sure what kind of rope your dog's toys was made from. Where toys made from synthetic materials wouldn't be digested if swallowed and it depends how much a dog swallows, but it could be an issue if a dog swallows lots of synthetic material and can't digest it or pass it through.

I think that because rope is not soft or elastic, it could make the hardest/toughest toy too, compared to fleece or t-shirt material like I've used so far.

I got given a ball for the foster dog which is apparently indestructible and if a dog manages to damage it, you can get a replacement/refund, but I don't know the name, its like a pink/red see-through colour, with a hole going all the way through the middle in a + cross shape. its too big to swallow too. My foster dog can really chew hard and it stills shows no sign of scratches or any kind of damage. edit: I think I've found the brand name, its "Ethical Pets" and their "Play Strong" range. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc_1? ... 1487163651
Last edited by pits on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:31 pm

The black kong toys should be indestructible. ..perfect fo thumbs.gif r staffys

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:58 pm

The dog I am fostering, Kyla is a typical staffie.....well Staffie cross to be exact and her toys don't last long. The best toys I have found are called 'bionic' and are orange. They are almost indestructible if that makes sense! They also have little openings in them that take treats.
Nice to hear about Precious as well, I really enjoyed walking her at Chessington. Surprised that she is a growler although she did have a skin problem on her feet.

DorsetSarah

Post by DorsetSarah » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi John, do you know if anyone managed to do anything about Precious' skin problem on her feet at the kennels? I was given a tube of E45 to put on her skin when I homed her, but I wonder if anyone had managed to put any on her feet? I can't get anywhere near her feet! Her skin is improving and she lets me massage her ears when they are itchy, but her feet are a no-go area!
Sorry to go off-topic!!

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Amy at the kennels gave me the tube Nikki will answer this I feel

Return to “Crafts, Art & DIY”