Dog beds...

EastwayGang

Dog beds...

Post by EastwayGang » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:14 pm

I am hoping to pick brains on the best type of dog bed.

Tess (who we adopted from RR nearly a year ago) is just about through bed no 3. They just don't seem to be big enough or strong enough. She's a fairly standard sized staffie, not the biggest or heaviest dog in the world. The latest bed has a removable cover that split along the zip and now just rides up and off the underlying foam. And she likes to rest her head on the edge of the bed which is now also splitting along that seam. The others have all done similar - split along the seams she most leans on. She also has a large sort of mattress for the tv/kitchen/any floor that is cold but does seem to like a bed with sides for sleeping.

Does anyone have suggestions of a good type/shape of bed that can last her a little longer than 3 weeks, which is how long this latest one has done :(

Thank you....

sweetpea

Re: Dog beds...

Post by sweetpea » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm

I use large plastic dog beds with a higher back ...place a king size quilt inside folded over the edges and then put a double quilt cover over the top ....topped off with either vetbed or a sheepskin rug. ...i have 6 dogs and they queue up to get in these beds thumbs.gif

chillibean

Post by chillibean » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 am

I'm the same as sweetpea; large sturdy plastic beds with duvet folded a few times and draped over the rim all the way round as a nice pillow for droopy heads, then vet bed as top layer. For my oldie, I add a pillow for extra support..... That way there are no seams to split and everything is washable.

EastwayGang

Post by EastwayGang » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies! I will try a plastic bed when the current one dies. It's looking very old and saggy right now. And using quilts etc makes a lot of sense for ease of washing etc. Tess and I thank you!

Vikki

Post by Vikki » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Both mine have had an array of beautiful fancy beds which they have humped, ragged and destuffed with unbridled glee within a few days. They have had their plastic beds with a quilt inside for over 6 months and no damage whatsoever. And they like them just as much as the sofa.
If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be clean, my purse would be full but my heart would be empty

Vikki

Post by Vikki » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I could have got away with only buying one!
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_20170219_124114.jpg
rsz_1rsz_20170219_130817.jpg
If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be clean, my purse would be full but my heart would be empty

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:02 am

Haha lovely pic ...nice and snuggly 0093.gif

chinquest

Post by chinquest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:48 pm

I bought this for Ringo
barneybed.jpg
Barney immediately stole it so I had to buy another :smiley-rolleyes010.gif:

It's has a memory foam mattress and all comes apart to wash we are pleased with it but a bit pricey if likely to be chewed
We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire

Fred R

Post by Fred R » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 pm

Vikki wrote:. . . They have had their plastic beds with a quilt inside for over 6 months and no damage whatsoever. And they like them just as much as the sofa.
Same with Ruby. Having splashed out on expensive dog beds in the past which were demolished in no time, I decided to get a plastic one on Freecycle as an experiment. Some two years later it's still doing sterling service and Ruby absolutely loves it - fleece blanket and duvet for added comfort - so, what's not to like. Today's photo of Ruby in her "plastic" basket. Poor Ruby! thumbs.gif winkwink.gif
P1000342(2).JPG

Return to “Equipment & Toys”