Advice! Dad Died and I Have Taken on His Staffy

Catlady

Advice! Dad Died and I Have Taken on His Staffy

Post by Catlady » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 am

Hello all.
Firstly let me admit to being more of a cat person than a doggie one. However, I desperately love all animals! I also foster cats and guinea pigs.
Thing is, my dad died two weeks ago. He has a dog, a cat and about 100 koi/gold fish.
There is myself and my brother. Most are advising re-homing all. But being the animal lover i am, i want to try to keep them. Plus, i am fully aware of the plight of barney, the staffy finding a suitable home. Ie it wont be easy.
I am currently managing living between both households, which isnt easy. Im also quite allergic to barney, but i am trying to mitigate things with that.
Basically i am here looking for help and guidance really. Had dogs as a child, but that was a long time ago! And never had one of my own.
Barney and winkey the cat get on fabulously. In fact they are snuggled up together as i type this, which is just heartwarming!
So im really on here to learn to be more of a doggie person and to learn about all things doggie. How often to feed/walk/bath etc etc.
He is an extreme chewer, and so far i have spent rather a lot on finding toys that he cant chew to bits in 5 mins flat!!!
Now found goughnuts toys, which after two days are still intact!!!!!! Kongs extreme dont last more than a few hours!
Looking forward to hearing from anyone really! Feeling a bit overwelmed and not sure if im doing the right thing by trying to keep him, or if i should be using my energy in finding him a suitable new home (i work full time)

sweetpea

Re: Advice! Dad Died and I Have Taken on His Staffy

Post by sweetpea » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:52 am

First of all so sorry to hear about your dad passing ...and a huge thank you for keeping his animals ....as long as Barney has a good long walk before you go to work and when you get home ..he will be fine ..if you could afford a dogwalker to come in halfway during the day that would be great ...people worry so much about leaving dogs home alone but they are in kennels all day Every day sometimes not being walked every day. ..if you can keep Barney that would be much better for him as there are thousands of staffys in rescue waiting for homes ...
Have you tried a treat ball....they keep them occupied ...pigs ears ....what food is he eating xxx

Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Advice! Dad Died and I Have Taken on His Staffy

Post by Rescue Remedies_2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Moved to Rescue, Fundraising & Animal Welfare Chat section of RR Dog Chat forum.

Return to “Rescue, Fundraising & Animal Welfare Chat”