A personal view
Some trainers/ behaviouralists are advocating slip leads to walk dogs outside. Slip leads have been traditionally used in kennels to give tight control on dogs going down kennel corridors whilst other dogs are up against their doors barking. You do need to weed out whether the main direction these trainers/ behaviouralists are coming from is to enable the client/ payer to be in control.. or are they advocates for the canine species. The same goes for crates/ cages...how easy it is to restrain ..job done?!
The use of slip leads to 'control ' dogs on walks to me is equivalent to using choke chains. They are choke chains but rather than metal they are rope. They work as they hurt!
We have to ask ourselves what is a dogs walk about. Lead walks are an artificial way to give dogs exposure to their broader territory which they then mark, the perimeters to communicate their sense of use and ownership of that territory. Lead are a means of safety. The sense of smell is the most important sense a dog has; smell IS their world as sight tends to be ours and we have no idea the power and the language they own in interpreting the age, content and strength of 'peemail'. Dogs also use hearing and sight, and no doubt the touch of breeze and what that conveys. Social is so important.
To put a dog in the quandary of walking to heel on a choke lead/slip lead immediately restricts their ability to engage in their 'community' their shared territory. We are often taking dogs in who are not used to formal regular walks they have to learn to share territory and their first step is to learn to inform themselves of the scent tapestry of the outside. To restrict a dog to a short lead is to take away their sense of 'doghood' Shortened leads around streets ofcourse but still afford your dog the opportunity to involve themselves in the scenery environment' around them You may be going for a walk; they are in the moment IN THEIR WALK.
I tend to use extenders as I have developed second sense alert in controlling a dog and it gives the dog far more time to focus on their smell journey so we are both catching each other up as we go.
So please can you just think about your dogs experiential journey on their walks and not treat it as exercise alone...that may be your primary motivation but it is not your dogs.
Kennelled dogs have enough exercise in kennels, they do not have enough human contact and relaxation. They are environmentally deprived on varied smells; their ears are full to bursting with dog barking from the moment the first dog barks in the day and visually they are very deprived.
So think it through from a dog centred perspective and you will know how to enrich a dog's or your dog's experience and give them the scope on their walks they so deserve.
- ↳ Rescue Remedies Christmas 2018
- RESCUE REMEDIES DIARY
- ↳ Rescue Remedies Diary
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION / FAQ
- ↳ ONLINE FORMS AND RESCUE CONTACT
- ↳ Forum Tutorials & Forum News
- ↳ Donate by Paypal here
- ↳ Websites, Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
- WANT TO HOME OR FOSTER A DOG? - HOW OUR PROCESS WORKS!
- ↳ HOMING PROCEDURE ...
- ↳ FOSTERING
- MEET OUR DOGS ... AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION 1, 2 & 3!
- ↳ 1. RESCUE REMEDIES / OTHER BREEDS
- ↳ 2. STAFFIERESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES
- ↳ 3. TERRIERRESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES
- ↳ Dogs that are CAT TESTED
- ↳ Coming Soon!
- ↳ Reserved or on Trial Adoption
- ↳ Dogs Rehomed
- ↳ Rainbow Bridge
- ACTION/HELP NEEDED!
- ↳ ***URGENT!***
- ↳ How YOU Can Help!
- ↳ GATWICK KENNELS - PROJECTS
- ↳ Lost & Found
- DONATIONS, FUNDRAISING & EVENTS
- ↳ Donations & Gift Aid!
- ↳ Appeals and Sponsored Events
- ↳ Live Events
- ↳ Fundraising
- ↳ Free Money
- ↳ RR Merchandise for Sale
- ↳ Rescue Remedies Christmas Fundraising Video
- ↳ Christmas Fundraising Video 2017
- ↳ Christmas Chat 2017
- ↳ Introduce Yourself
- ↳ My Dog
- ↳ Dog Chat
- ↳ Behaviour & Training
- ↳ Competitions
- ↳ Crafts, Art & DIY
- ↳ Dogs as Human Support & Therapy
- ↳ Education, Workshops, Courses & Seminars
- ↳ Equipment & Toys
- ↳ Food, Diet, Nutrition & Recipes
- ↳ Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines
- ↳ Holiday Lets & Destinations
- ↳ Insurance
- ↳ Legal Questions & Chat
- ↳ News, Telly, Videos, Stories & Poems
- ↳ Rescue, Fundraising & Animal Welfare Chat
- ↳ Services & Care Arrangements: Boarding, Kennels, Walking, Sitting & Exercise Fields
- ↳ Shows & Events
- ↳ Sport & Activities
- ↳ Wishing Well
- ↳ General Chat - Non-Dog Related
- ↳ Suggestion Box - Make Them Here But YOU Volunteer!
- ↳ Dogs Who Need or Can Live With Other Dogs
- ↳ Christmas Foster Appeal
- ↳ 4. CATS NEEDING HOMES
- ↳ Give a dog a foster place for Christmas
- ↳ Sleeping Ruff Campaign
- ↳ Sleeping Ruff Fundraiser October 2nd to 9th Total so far £5497
- ↳ Sleeping Ruff Johans Daily Blog Now Active
- ↳ The Golden Roll of Honour - THANK YOU
- ↳ Charity Walk - from Gatwick Kennels 26th August 2018
- ↳ Mongolia Rally 2018