Emergency Care for Dogs

cobden28

Emergency Care for Dogs

Post by cobden28 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 am

Out of curiosity, what do others do if you require emergency care for your dogs and have nobody living nearby who can help out?

Last week I was taken into hospital in Portsmouth with a severe heart attack. I live alone with nobody around to help but I do have my daughter up in London who was willing to come down and stay in my flat for a few days till I was back home to see to Aristotle and Cherub the toothless Pom, and the rest of my menagerie. Emma was brought up around my last Peke so I totally trust her with my animals, and she is fortunate to have a very understanding employer. By the time Emma reached my flat, the day after I'd been admitted, the dogs had been confined to their indoor crates in the living room for almost 24 hours so were really desparate for a wee - I'm pleased and proud that they'd held on for so long.

I was in hospital for three days (discharged home last Saturday 16th) and the dogs had been fed, watered, walked and thoroughly spoilt while I was unavoidably away. I'm still very short of breath and can't even walk to the far end of my garden without getting seriously out of breath so the pooches are having to make do with toilet trips to the garden until such time as I'm able to walk them again.

My elderly Mum thinks I ought to seriously consider getting rid of some of the rest of my menagerie ( a 4 ft fishtank, 3 budgies, 2 guinea pigs and 1 hamster), but she's never had pets in her adult life so I don't think she realises quite how much my pets mean to me. I took them on so they're my responsibility for the rest of their lives...OK so I may have to phone up my friendly groomer to see if they can collect & deliver the dogs after a bath/groom, and if I order the flea & worm tablets for the dogs over the phone I'm wondering if the vet receptionist who lives two gardens away from me could drop them in on her way home one day, but I WILL NOT give up any of my pets as Mum thinks I should consider doing!

bizlate

Re: EMERGENCY CARE FOR DOGS

Post by bizlate » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 am

I don't have any advice to offer (except maybe 'get a key safe and source the number of a good dog sitter'!), but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear you have been so unwell, and I'm glad you're recovering and that your menagerie was well cared for in your absence!

Stevie'sMum

Post by Stevie'sMum » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I hope you are feeling better. If you are retired there's a charity called the Cinnamon Trust. They have volunteers who can either foster animals or call in to feed and walk them. They will also come and walk them if you are housebound. I think they are national, although based in Cornwall. They can be contacted by email - admin@cinnamon.org.uk or phone 01736 757900

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm

I am lucky to have my family on the doorstep. ......hope you are feeling better love4.gif
Last edited by sweetpea on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrsP

Post by MrsP » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm

https://www.zazzle.co.uk/help_i_have_pe ... 7044846033 Definitely get one of these Pet Alert Cards, you can get them from lots of places, and keyrings too. I'd then find a few pet sitters that are willing to be your emergency contacts, I think if you're on your own it's always a good idea to find a walker/sitter you and your animals get on with for instances of illness/family occasions.

Dawn Allen

Post by Dawn Allen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm

So sorry to hear that you had a heart attack and were in Hospital. That must have been frightening. I have two people that have keys to my home and a couple of people that I hope would be able to pop in and let the dogs out and feed them in an emergency (very much valued and appreciated). The challenge is when we have special pets that need skill, knowledge, experience and expertise and are not 'easy'. It is worth doing introductions to a few people that you can trust, slowly and gradually over time so it isn't such a big ask in an emergency. Also, you could write a card and have it in a obvious place to give some info to anyone entering the home in your absence as a reminder for people that it will help in that situation. I keep meaning to do this myself. I hope it never happens but if I was out and the emergency services had to get in I would hope that I could avoid what could be a very difficult situation but I guess it depends on the type of emergency and circumstances. My dogs would be worried to say the least but to an untrained unaware person they could misinterpret behaviours. Hope this helps and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Return to “Services & Care Arrangements: Boarding, Kennels, Walking, Sitting & Exercise Fields”