Advice please on leaving the dog with others when on holiday

RenskeMc

Advice please on leaving the dog with others when on holiday

Post by RenskeMc » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 pm

hello fellow staff rescuers; we adopted the gorgeous Milo a year ago and he has been a total blessing, we adore him! Usually we get someone to house- and dogsit when we are away overnight but the last 2 times we had to bring him to friends (who he knows quite well). The first time was for 3 nights; he came back a lot skinnier and very hyper, the second time was just overnight and again he has been very hyper and clingey since. We totally appreciate that he probably thinks we are 'dumping' him as that has happened to him before coming to RR and that this is probably common for rescues. Has anyone got some good tips on how to help the dog? We cannot forego all our future weekends away but we would like him to be as happy as possible when we are! Thanks

helengarner

Re: Advice please on leaving the dog with others when on hol

Post by helengarner » Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Can't say I've experienced the issue but I have heard that leaving something with him that has your scent on it can help them relax?

Julieh

Post by Julieh » Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 pm

We're quite lucky and have always had family stay to look after ours, a friend has a dog sitter come to stay at her house. She's an elderly lady who loves dogs and the dogs seem happy too. She has taken them to a dog sitter previously and like you they were skinny and not happy when she returned , so she's found they're happier in their own home if possible

cobden28

Post by cobden28 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 am

Is a reliable local boarding kennels not possible ?

nhelyer

Post by nhelyer » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

I second Julieh's comment ... I have a lovely lady come to stay at my house with my sensitive boys whilst I'm away and they do brilliantly with that. It means all their usual routines and environments remain unchanged and someone is focused on their needs 24/7.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu May 18, 2017 10:00 am

If we go away for a night or two without our 6 :icon_barking_dog-116.gif: my mum moves in and my sister and brother in law pop in and walk them .... i could never put mine in boarding kennels but that is just personal preference thumbs.gif

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

I agree wholeheartedly bring someone into your home they settle much better. there are people that many of us could recommend. Personally I would never put mine in kennels and definitely not a rescue dog they will think they are going back there but that's just my opinion. x

bizlate

Post by bizlate » Wed May 24, 2017 11:46 am

We have a lovely dog walker who has walked our fosters and my mum's dog if he stays with us while we're at work... we find that the dogs are then happy to go to him overnight because they associate him with something exciting (walks!) and they already know him so the situation doesn't feel weird to them.

I think overnights (at the walker's home) are a service that a lot of dog walkers offer, so maybe a local dog hotelier could come and walk your dog a few times first so that they become a really positive person to them?

Vikki

Post by Vikki » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 pm

I am lucky my adult son still lives at home so my 2 just stay with him. I've only left them overnight 3 times in 4 years cos I miss them but even at home with my son who they live with, they still knew something wasn't right, Rosa didn't eat properly (deffo not the norm!), Lu sat staring out of window pining and they don't play, however within minutes of returning home it's all forgotten!
And when I do a long day at work and they are with my son all day they still go completely crazy like I've been gone for a year! Mind you if I go to the loo Rosa will greet me like she hasn't seen me in an eternity!
My point is as long as you fully trust who ever takes care of them a little bit of odd behaviour while they adjust doesn't mean anything much in my opinion.
If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be clean, my purse would be full but my heart would be empty

Return to “Services & Care Arrangements: Boarding, Kennels, Walking, Sitting & Exercise Fields”