Supplements for Arthritis

chillibean

Supplements for Arthritis

Post by chillibean » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 pm

My 16 year old patterdale Chilli is in pretty good health apart from weak back legs due to arthritis. He has almost complete loss of proprioception in one leg which means he struggles when toileting although he can walk albeit it with a slightly dragging leg. He is on Metacam and I have tried him on a few tablet supplements (glucosamine, Yumove) but he is such a fussy eater I cannot reliably get him to take a tablet no matter how it is presented. I'm wondering about trying Omega 3 in liquid form so I can squirt it into his mouth. Does anybody have experience of supplements for arthritic dogs? I want to do whatever I can to help him but read so much conflicting information about things working or not so any first hand advice would be very welcome! I have just ordered him a Gingerlead rear support harness for walking and some non-slip boots to help traction which I will report back on. :thanks.gif:

sweetpea

Re: Supplements for Arthritis

Post by sweetpea » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 pm

I have used green lipped mussle capsules for years with amazing results ...you can empty the powder inside and mix with food love4.gif
I got my last supply from supplements wise but you can buy them from Holland and Barratt

chillibean

Post by chillibean » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 pm

hello Sweetpea, thank you for that. How many capsules should I give a 10kg dog? I'll give it a go but because Chilli is such a picky eater (I struggle to keep weight on him) I never know whether he is going to eat or not. When he does deign to eat, it's usually cooked beef or pork, not sure how well the powder will work with that but worth a go! That's why I was thinking about a liquid that I could squirt in his mouth so I know he's had it. I haven't come across any liquid green lipped mussel extract but I'll keep looking and let you know how it goes.
:thanks.gif:

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 pm

I would give a 250mg capsule a day ...try mixing it with pate that never fails :goodluck.gif:

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”