Tips for keeping dogs cool in the heat

Hoonercat

Re: Tips for keeping dogs cool in the heat

Post by Hoonercat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Debbie(tarakisha) wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:Gel beds are very good, put it in the fridge for an hour for best effect.
I looked at the cooling mats you can buy, but the reviews were mixed.....does anyone have any experience of these please?
I bought one last week for Tia, at first she lay down beside it in protest at the cheek of me giving her a matt that wasn't full of cushions but she uses it now. I also have a fan or two running, use the garden sprinkler and freeze yoghurts. But mainly Tia just finds a shaded spot in the garden and falls asleep.

nhelyer

Post by nhelyer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm up in Scarborough at the moment and had a chuckle this morning when I spied an old chap walking his elderly lab along the promenade ... he'd threaded the lead through the top of an umbrella and taped the brolly to the lead, so his lovely lab was trotting along comfortably in the shade of his very own 'parasol'! 0002.gif]

jules

Post by jules » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm

My Belle has a very light coat so she really feels the sun so I invested in a Hertta cool vest - so she copes with the little short walks. As we live in a flat she doesn't have the 'shady place' to lie under. You just dunck it in cold water, wring it out and zip it on. It stays in place. She just has a shake now and then as she feels wet. If you took a longer walk you just pour more water over it. Brill.

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 pm

nhelyer wrote:I'm up in Scarborough at the moment and had a chuckle this morning when I spied an old chap walking his elderly lab along the promenade ... he'd threaded the lead through the top of an umbrella and taped the brolly to the lead, so his lovely lab was trotting along comfortably in the shade of his very own 'parasol'! 0002.gif]
That's so sweet, bless him love4.gif

My husband has gone out and bought Rosie her very own air conditioning unit...... not that she's spoilt angel13.gif]

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Rosie's very own paddling pool arrived today..... she adored it and demolished it within 20 mins but what fun..... I will post video's under her thread! She was :cool.gif:

Toops

Post by Toops » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:44 pm

I have been freezing dog bowls full of water and leaving them in front of electric fans to cool the air - the dogs also enjoy licking the ice. They all love frozen carrots and watermelon, kiddies yoghurts, and I feed them their raw food still partly frozen. I also give them frozen chicken feet/raw bones. Leylah is the only one of mine who will lay on a damp towel, and she didn't seem to feel the heat as much as my boys, despite her longer coat. A damp tea towel draped over the boys necks wasn't popular either!!
The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. Samuel Butler

bizlate

Post by bizlate » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Thank you Toops, all good tips :D

cobden28

Post by cobden28 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 pm

I have a pedestal fan in my living room, set to turbo-power for air circulation and coolness for the dogs' comfort and convenience. Cherub and Aristotle like to lie where the cool air blows directly onto them, although now in the evening when It's cooler than during the day Cherub is snoring at my feet and Ari is lying behind my chair (but within the draught from the fan).

During the daytime, Ari doesn't like to lie on carpet of his Vetbed bedding in his crate but prefers either the laminate flooring in my second bedroom or the vinyl flooring that I have on the landing. Cherub definitely prefers the sofa if she has a choice, but is intelligent enough to know she's only allowed up on the sofa if I have a protective sheet over it - if I catch her on the sofa and there's not a protective sheet draped over it, Cherub has learned the meaning of the command OFF :(

For walkies, they don't go out for the first walk of the day till around teatime when it's reasonably cool - they have regular toilet visits into the garden during the day of course - with second and last walkies around 10 - 11pm ish or even later when it's still cool enough to be out and about in short sleeves. Even when the dogs do go outside for a toilet visit they still prefer afterwards to lie in the cool and the shade so I tend to keep them indoors in the heat of the day because I can guarantee there's a nice cool breeze from the fan for them to lie in front of.

Water bowls for each of the dogs in their crates in the living room, refreshed during the day as necessary, and another (shared) water bowl in my rear lobby at the top of my back stairs (again refreshed/replenished during the day as necessary).

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”