Tips for keeping dogs cool in the heat

bizlate

Tips for keeping dogs cool in the heat

Post by bizlate » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 am

Anyone like to share? Not thinking purely of kennel dogs... our homed lovelies too!

Hoonercat

Re: Tips for keeping dogs cool in the heat

Post by Hoonercat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 am

Gel beds are very good, put it in the fridge for an hour for best effect.

pits

Post by pits » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 am

Freezing plastic tubs of water and then letting the dogs lick the ice can help. Also if the dog looks really hot, putting a cold wet towel on their body can help cool them down too. If you have an electric fan, that can help too.

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:06 am

Hoonercat wrote:Gel beds are very good, put it in the fridge for an hour for best effect.
I looked at the cooling mats you can buy, but the reviews were mixed.....does anyone have any experience of these please?

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Debbie(tarakisha) wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:Gel beds are very good, put it in the fridge for an hour for best effect.
I looked at the cooling mats you can buy, but the reviews were mixed.....does anyone have any experience of these please?
I use cool coats for the dogs and cool mats for the guniea pigs thumbs.gif

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:31 pm

sweetpea wrote:
Debbie(tarakisha) wrote:
I use cool coats for the dogs and cool mats for the guniea pigs thumbs.gif
Ah do the coats work ? If so can you please recommend...... mind you, it will probably be raining by the time it's delivered 0002.gif]

Ladylou

Post by Ladylou » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:49 pm

pits wrote:Freezing plastic tubs of water and then letting the dogs lick the ice can help. Also if the dog looks really hot, putting a cold wet towel on their body can help cool them down too. If you have an electric fan, that can help too.
I put a cool wet towel down for Rosie the other day, on the landing at the top of the back stairs. She then laid down in a small space so that she didn't have to get on the wet towel. She also isn't keen on the fan. No sense. xxxxx thumbs.gif thumbs.gif

bizlate

Post by bizlate » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Ladylou, that made me laugh! My mum has just moved to Spain with ex-SR boy Mr Darcy and he is afraid of the hosepipe AND the lovely cool pool... what can you do when faced with such resistance to heat control 0002.gif]

He loves all food tho so I am hoping she can work something out with the freezer! He loves yoghurt so I suggested freezing some little yoghurt pots then getting them out of the plastic for him like giant [yoghurt] ice cubes... Or of course freezing his beloved peanut butter Kong. Anyone here got any other cold food ideas for scaredy-cat dogs?

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:29 pm

I got prestige cool dog coats from Amazon. ....

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I have fans going in the kitchen and living rooms for the dogs .....

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Debbie(tarakisha) wrote:
I bought one last week for Tia, at first she lay down beside it in protest at the cheek of me giving her a matt that wasn't full of cushions but she uses it now. I also have a fan or two running, use the garden sprinkler and freeze yoghurts. But mainly Tia just finds a shaded spot in the garden and falls asleep.

nhelyer

Post by nhelyer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm up in Scarborough at the moment and had a chuckle this morning when I spied an old chap walking his elderly lab along the promenade ... he'd threaded the lead through the top of an umbrella and taped the brolly to the lead, so his lovely lab was trotting along comfortably in the shade of his very own 'parasol'! 0002.gif]

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”