Itchy Skin

Doglets

Itchy Skin

Post by Doglets » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Our little Jack (TR) has always had quite itchy skin, but at the moment his scratching is worse than ever. He is on a grain free diet (Harrington's), regularly wormed/ de-flead, and I always take his harness and collar off at home as these can exacerbate the problem. He has very short hair, and sometimes makes his poor skin bleed in his armpits with all the scratching. Our other two terriers don't scratch at all. Any suggestions would be welcome. :thanks.gif:

sweetpea

Re: Itchy Skin

Post by sweetpea » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Have you tried giving him 1 piriton every day.....its a human antihistamine its the only one safe to give dogs ...our RR tiny tom used to suffer with itchy skin and red eye and 1 piriton daily cured it ....mine are all fed raw diet ...Harringtons dog food isnt very good quality. ..wainwrights grain free isnt expensive but is a much better quality :goodluck.gif:

Helenisca

Post by Helenisca » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Tia suffers of itchy skin, food makes a difference, she is having Wainwright grain and she has improved with this problem. I mix it with the wet food from Wainwright too... it isn´t expensive but you can only buy it at Pets at home.
Helena

montyjack2

Post by montyjack2 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:46 am

he may be allergic to mites, my dog is and all kibble has storage mites in it, have you tried him on a wet food ie nature diet , also as mentioned Piriton x

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 am

Our Amy suffered with itchy skin. We took her to our vet who advised it could be a number of factors causing it. He could of done a million and one tests but said we may never find the cause. So we used veterinary shampoo on her twice a week, fed her a grain free diet and gave steroids as prescribed by my vet when she was particularly itchy and sore.
Hope your little one feels better soon x

John

Post by John » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm

The dog I am fostering, Kyla, was also doing some serious scratching to her ears and chest area, resulting in bleeding. RR's vet, Mark, gave her a blood test which revealed she was allergic to almost everything. He prescribed steroid tablets. This together with a change in diet seems to have done the trick. Good luck.

Doglets

Post by Doglets » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. I shall start with changing the food, and give him a daily piriton tablet. See how we go for a couple of weeks, then if there is no improvement I will take him to the vet. I try to keep my vet's visits to a minimum as it is so stressful for Jack and they insist on muzzling him as he will bite through fear. :thanks.gif:

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”