Any experience of caring for dog with IMPA?

Vikki

Any experience of caring for dog with IMPA?

Post by Vikki » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:18 pm

My lovely staffy/mastiff/sight hound cross has been very poorly for 3 weeks now. Side effects of steroids are awful. He was 34.5kg now he is 29.7 and even little dogs knock him flying. He falls over when he tries to cock his leg and all his bones are sticking out all from lost muscle from the horrible drugs. He's so depressed. He's so hungry he eats 6 meals a day (last one at midnight then starving by 5am) plus can't hold his bladder for more than 2 hours so am sleeping on sofa to keep letting him out in garden. As well as the emotional trauma of watching him so poorly I am getting by on just 4-5 hrs of broken sleep so am exhausted. I just can't imagine him ever being normal again. We are just starting the tapering off steroids (which takes months) but with every reduction comes risk of relapse so I am sick with worry. I suppose I am just looking for some reassurance from someone who has been through this that he will be ok. X
rsz_1rsz_20170107_203438.jpg
If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be clean, my purse would be full but my heart would be empty

xxlynne

Re: Any experience of caring for dog with IMPA

Post by xxlynne » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:23 pm

IMPA? can you explain what IMPA stands for

Vikki

Re: Any experience of caring for dog with IMPA

Post by Vikki » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 am

Sorry it's something like immune mediated poly arthritis. Nothing like osteoarthritis in older dogs though. Is caused by immune system attacking itself. Lu is only 4 so not an age or wear and tear type condition.
If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be clean, my purse would be full but my heart would be empty

HOLLYPOLLY

Re: Any experience of caring for dog with IMPA?

Post by HOLLYPOLLY » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi, I have no experience of having a dog with IMPA, but did have a Staffie( Holly) who had Addison's Disease, who also was on large amounts of steroids during her illness. I joined a forum called CIMDA for canines diagnosed with all types of immune mediated disease. Our vet's, although brilliant with Holly, had limited experience of treating Addison's when she was first diagnosed. CIMDA are a wealth of information and comfort, they do have a section on IMPA I believe. Do have a look at the forum, I found it invaluable for finding out information.

Vikki

Post by Vikki » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks Hollypolly. I will take a look. Am pleased to report that Lu is doing very well. I don't like the steroids as they've changed everything about him but am hoping he'll be off them by the summer.
Did Holly manage to get off the drugs? And if so did she return to normal?

HOLLYPOLLY

Post by HOLLYPOLLY » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:27 pm

I'might glad your dog is doing well and hopefully you will be able to adjust steroids in conjuction with vet's advice. I am afraid that we said goodbye to our Holly, nearly a year ago now, not because of the steroids, but because the Addison's just would not stabilise and she kept having crisis after crisis for the best part of 2 years. As I say, I know nothing of IMPA but CIMDA kept me sane when Holly was going through so much, I learned so much from them about her condition and there was always someone who could help. I do wish you and your dog well.

montyjack2

Post by montyjack2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Have you given Raw Feeding a try ?

Vikki

Post by Vikki » Tue May 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Mine have been raw fed for long time but vet said Lu couldn't have raw diet while his immune system was suppressed so I took Rosa off raw too and fed them both the same, they weren't fussed as steroids made Lu ravenous and Rosa is just a piglet but I am not a fan as am proper raw food advocate as I can source meat from the most ethical sources but now his steroid dose is only anti-inflammatory they've been back on raw for a month and I am so much happier. They didn't lose their bone skills at all!
Am pleased to say that Lu is on very low dose of steroids now and in a few weeks should be drug free, then we need to concentrate on rebuilding muscle and losing weight (all horrible side effects). I know steroid therapy is frowned upon by some but the choice of a few months of horrible medication with the hope of a healthy future or having him cross rainbow bridge too young it was definitely the right choice, although I am not sure if I would put an elderly dog through it as he has been in such a sorry state for a long time.

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”