A tip from my vet re heart murmurs in dogs

Stevie'sMum

A tip from my vet re heart murmurs in dogs

Post by Stevie'sMum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi! I took Stevie for his annual check and boosters this week. He has a heart murmur which was diagnosed last year. At the moment it's not affecting him at all and doesn't need medication. I asked her "how do I know when it does?" She said that he would become less eager to walk and may go off his food. (He still beats me up the stairs and eats like a horse!) Then she said that if I counted his breaths for 15 seconds when he was in a deep sleep (so there is no load on his heart). Then times this by 4. If the result is 20 breaths or more in the minute then he needs to be seen for a check and it will probably be time for him to go on medication. Just thought I'd pass this tip on to others who may have an elderly dog. Happy Christmas from me and Stevie - Marion.

Wander Woman

Re: A tip from my vet re heart murmurs in dogs

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Thank you for this advice. My dogs aren't getting any younger so it's always good to know what to look for. :thanks.gif:

How is ol' Stevie Boy? I think about him from time to time as he was one of the first kennel dogs I walked for RR many years ago. If you have time for a little update and a photo or two, here is the link for his thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1687

Sending hugs to Stevie! love4.gif
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Stevie'sMum

Re: A tip from my vet re heart murmurs in dogs

Post by Stevie'sMum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 pm

My Stevie boy is doing really well and sends hugs. It's his 4th gotcha day on 22nd December so I will post some pics then. Can't believe it's 4 years. He has slotted in so well and is snuggled up to me as I type.x

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”