cones after surgery

anne

cones after surgery

Post by anne » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:52 am

Just thought I would flag this up. I was watching Autumn Watch last week and they were listening for the calls of migrating birds flying overhead. They gave several suggestions as to how to amplify the sound so you can hear the birds better and one of the things suggested was to put on one of the plastic cones we put on the dogs after an operation. It has never occurred to me that wearing one of these amplifies sound. So then I got to thinking of dogs in kennels where it can be already noisy and stressful for the dogs and worried in some cases, we may be making this worse. sign_omg.gif
Then I was speaking to Charlie and she pointed out this was important to everybody with firework season upon us.
Something to note and be aware of.
I was wondering if you can get cones made of foam, or lined with something soft that absorbs sound, so it stops it being an amplifier!

chillibean

Re: cones after surgery

Post by chillibean » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:11 pm

I use an inflatable collar on my terriers. It doesn't bang into things, doesn't interfere with their vision, doesn't amplify sound and is very well tolerated. As an added bonus, it acts a a very comfy pillow for them! I've only used it after spaying and it works well to stop licking of the abdomen. It wouldn't stop most dogs licking feet or tail end though. They cost around £10 - 15, depending on size. :dog-115.gif:

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:42 pm

I bought Sid my JRT a suitacal suit (like a baby vest with cut out tail hole )after an op and its great ...you can buy material cones. ...i hate the plastic cones ....never thought of it as an amplifier. ..can just imagine all those twitchers wearing the cone of shame ... lol.gif sign_omg.gif winkwink.gif

Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:51 pm

A Buster collar, the inflatable, as mentioned by Chillibean is much better. My dogs have never tolerated cones. You have to pay for them though.
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit our fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/676797962392764/

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”