Canine osteoarthritis advice please

lonewolf

Canine osteoarthritis advice please

Post by lonewolf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:23 am

I haven't posted on the forum for quite a while but some you will hopefully remember Alfie (Staffie) who we adopted back in 2012.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1666&p=44223#p44223

He's 12 now and recently has been showing signs of lameness in one of his front legs. We've taken him to the vet, all blood results are good, but it seems he has osteoarthritis in the elbow joints of his front legs. He's clocked up a lot of walking miles with us over the years so it appears to be the result of general wear and tear.

I've already had a good chat with the vet, and Googled plenty of information, regarding how to manage the condition going forward. He has been put on Loxicom for 7-10 days to hopefully manage the current pain he has and the vet has then said we can look at future medication requirements, weight management, exercise regime and joint supplements going forward. For the record, he isn't an overweight dog but I have read that reducing weight can help with this condition. He currently weighs 21kg and I always like him to be about 20kg so we will aim to get him down to that.

I have read that it is possible, in some cases, not to rely on long term medication and I would like to at least try to achieve that. One friend (a vet nurse) has recommended a glucosamine supplement called YuMOVE Advance for dogs.

Does anyone on here have experience of managing osteoarthritis in their dogs? Any advice greatly received.

nhelyer

Re: Canine osteoarthritis advice please

Post by nhelyer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:44 am

Hello! Just thought I would let you know I've had tremendous results with Yumove Advanced (or rather my elderly dog has!) Within 2 weeks he was a different dog, moving well and seemingly pain free. I also switched him from 2 walks a day to 3 shorter walks a day, so he gets same amount of exercise but in shorter doses, and that suits him better; he stiffens much less. I do know people who have had great success with switching their dog to a raw diet but I've no personal experience of that. No doubt others on this forum will have lots more good advice for you but the Yumove Advanced gets a big thumbs up from me. N.B. There's a big difference in efficacy between Yumove and Yumove Advanced so if you decide to try it make sure you get the latter. Much cheaper on line than from the vet too! Good luck!

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks - it was a vet nurse who recommended the Yumove Advance so it's good to hear of decent results from more people. He's already on a raw diet and the shorter walk system has already been suggested by the vet. Is your dog just on the supplement and not on pain relief? I know long term pain relief can have side effects so I would like to do it without those if possible.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 pm

I use green lipped mussle capsules with great effect and turmeric golden paste is Amazing ......Yumove didnt work for my girl but lots of people say it works positivo1.gif

chinquest

Post by chinquest » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Both my boys are on Umove Advance. The vet said Barney had arthritis when he removed a pin from his leg and would be on medication for life but Barney didn't act as though he was in pain what with his zoomie s and using my settees as trampolines so no pain meds yet. When Ringo had an MOT a couple of years back the vet said he had the beginnings of spondylitis. Both boys have been on Umove for over a year I can't say for sure it's helped them but it certainly hasn't done them any harm.
We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”