Fox in the Garden

cobden28

Fox in the Garden

Post by cobden28 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 am

I've just seen the skinniest, most mangy-looking fox you can imagine in my next door neighbour's garden and I'm now anxious as to what sorts of nasties could be passed on from the wild fox population to Cherub and Aristotle.

Both Aristotle & Cherub's vaccinations, wormings and flea treatments are up-to-date and there were no signs of any ticks or anything when they were groomed yesterday - but is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

The fox appeared to be twice the size of tiny little Cherub!

Pegmilly

Re: FOX IN THE GARDEN

Post by Pegmilly » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:25 am

Fox's, although can sometimes be a pain are part of our wildlife and are to be cherished for what they are. The chances of your dogs catching anything from a fox are very, very slim. Let's not forget, we build more and more houses - overtaking their natural habitat. I had a very poorly fox in my garden on Sunday night - only alerted to it by my dogs going crazy. I knew almost immediately it had been hit by a car, he was dragging his back legs. The rspca couldn't attend until the morning so I opened my shed door so at least he'd have shelter. I put out some fresh water and food. He crawled in to my shed - I watched him from my bedroom window. In the morning, he came out and just lay on the grass in the sun. Obviously I didn't let my dogs out or even go to the back of the house. The rspca came and said his pelvis was shattered - nothing they could do for him - she put him to sleep there and then in my garden and took the poor little man away. Yes, my shed needed a good clean but fox's are fox's. If your dogs are up to date with everything - you have nothing to worry about. A lot of foxes suffer from mange - they can't help it and it's an awful condition to live with - some will actually graw through their own limbs to stop the irritation. My neighbour feeds our foxes and puts something in their food to help prevent mange (I can't remember what it's called). I for one would hate for there to come a day when we don't see a fox in our gardens. Xxxx

Doglets

Post by Doglets » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:43 pm

I am a fox sympathiser too, Pegmilly ! I give a small donation to a fox protection website, and in return they send me a small bottle of fox mange stuff, plus a similar bottle of liquid arnica, both of which I put on a bowl of dog food once a day (as per the bottles' instructions) and leave it in a part of the garden which the dogs have no access to . We had an almost totally bald vixen visiting the garden last year, and this year not only had all her fur grown back but she gave birth to two cubs behind our garage, where her den is. A few of us do this in our neighbourhood, although we keep quiet about it ! winkwink.gif

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:55 pm

As long as you dogs have advocate and don't actually rub shoulders with the fox they will be ok .....a fox would run rather than attack a dog ......its seems urban foxes suffer more from mange and RTA .
I see foxes every morning on my way to the woods and they all look fit and well .....so much wildlife lose their homes due to over building. ..250 acres up the road from us with thousands of houses being built .
.i would never have thought id see the day when our hedgehogs were endangered ... smiley-sad010.gif

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”