Dog's vaccinations

Helenisca

Dog's vaccinations

Post by Helenisca » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 am

Hiiii!!!!
I would like to ask you all your ideas about dog's vaccinations. This month my Tia should have her ones done. But the other day one friend who has had dogs all her life told she hadn't never put vaccination to her dogs since they were 4/5 years old. She argues that vaccinations are only necessary when they are puppies and after that could be prejudicial for dogs. She has an staffie of 14 years old with good health. I have been searching and there are some arguments saying vaxs are not necessary really.. I've had dogs when child but they always had their vaccinations. What do you think about it????? Do you agree or disagree with my friend ? To be honest I prefer not to take risks and better have everything done....
Helena

gsdlover

Re: Dog's vaccinations

Post by gsdlover » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:46 am

I do have a personal issue with vaccinations as I was told that they may have contributed to Herbies health problems. For that reason, I have decided to go down the homeopathic route with Roxie so I feel like I'm doing something to protect her. You will find that insurance is not valid if your dog becomes ill with one of the things that a conventional vaccination will cover though.

I never had my cat vaccinated (other than her jabs as a kitten) - I have just lost her and she was 20 years old......

chinquest

Post by chinquest » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:13 pm

I was speaking to a lady who's dog is now 14 and her vets have advised her it's no longer necessary (or wise) for him to have boosters.
My problem is if the boys have to go into kennels for any reason they have to be upto date with their boosters
We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire

Fred R

Post by Fred R » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm

To vax or not to vax - that is the question. :smiley-signs002.gif: :yes.gif: :no.gif:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ights-pets

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:17 am

Its the lepto 4 vaccine that is causing all the dispute too ....
My lot have 3 vaccines then they are titre tested ....mine all came back enough immunity so i would rather titre test (more expensive than yearly boosters)i think we put too many chemicals on our dogs as it is ...mine are wormed 4x a year and i put advocate on in the summer month ...i add garlic to their raw food to ward off ticks ... :nicethread.gif:

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

'...the UK’s independent Veterinary Products Committee (VPC) reviewed all UK dog and cat vaccines between 1999 and 2002. They concluded that although adverse events do occasionally follow vaccination, the “overall risk/benefit analysis strongly supports their continued use”.'

I totally agree with the article, Fred R. Vaccines save lives. This applies to both humans and animals. Anti-vaxxers endanger people and pets. Their opinions are not based upon real science, but more often unsubstantiated (often from the internet) rumour, and pseudoscience. Over and over, clinical trials prove the efficacy and safety of vaccines.

According to my Vet, current guidelines say that dogs should be vaccinated every three years for Distemper/Parvo and every year for Lepto. I asked him about the current controversy surrounding the Lepto vaccine, and he said that he saw a few reactions at his former practice years ago, but that since he changed practices - he has been at mine for at least the last four years - he has seen no more than one or two reactions. Probably well within the range of normal risk. The practice where I see him uses a different brand of the vaccine than his former practice, so this could have something to do with it.

There are insurance considerations too. Some pet insurance policies demand that your pet be vaccinated every year or all or part of the policy will be void. Read the fine print!

I don't have anything against titre testing, but I wish that it were cheaper. And I wish more insurance policies would accept it. Some do not accept it as a substitute for annual vaccines. Or at least this used to be the case. And for one of my dogs, hell would freeze over before he would allow it without being knocked out first.

As above, some elderly dogs might not benefit enough from being vaccinated. In short, people should listen to their Vets. Find a competent Vet you like and trust. Vets are trained in the real science of vaccines. The internet is now overflowing with misinformation - some of it deliberate. Trust the professionals. thumbs.gif
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Return to “Health, Disease, Vets & Vaccines”