Good news on back street breeding

Hoonercat

Good news on back street breeding

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Lord Gardiner – who speaks for the Government on animal matters in the Lords – recognised that Local Authorities, breeders and welfare charities all agreed that licensing is ready for reform and that the Government would like to update legislation, streamline the process and improve animal welfare.

He crucially went on to say that they will be consulting with a view to lowering the number of litters that a household can produce from five to three.
More info here
http://www.endbackstreetbreeding.org.uk ... A.facebook

Rummibailey

Re: Good news on back street breeding

Post by Rummibailey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 pm

It's a start, but 3 litters a year is still 3 too many. There is no simple answer, but I do wonder how on earth they would police this anyway? I don't think anyone should be breeding until rescues and pounds are empty, but realistically breeders should be licensed and registered. I think the only way to put off this backyard breeders is to hit their wallets, perhaps even pup should be registered before it can be homed and this is expensive? (not applying to rescues). I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a simple answer to stop these 'greeders' as I heard someone call them (greedy breeders), but answer must be to educate the public to adopt not shop so that the greeders have no profit in breeding anymore.
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:50 pm

I agree that 3 litters without the need for a license is still too many, but a step in the right direction. Compulsory microchipping comes in to effect from next year, why not force all breeders to do the micro chipping before they can sell the pups, with their details (and the mother's details) always remaining on file as a way of checking how many litters they have produced and from which bitch? Set a minimum age for chipping to stop BYB's selling puppies when they should still be with their mother and make it illegal to sell a pup that is not chipped and registered to the breeder, with the new owner's detail being added later but the breeders details retained also.
Give responsibility for policing it to the RSPCA rather than local councils, they have over £80 million tied up in investments that could be put to good use, especially considering these measures could save them money in the long run as well as improving animal welfare. Heavy fines for failing to comply go back in to funding for the scheme.
The only way to stop BYB is to make it financially unattractive and a pain.

12eclypstaff12

Post by 12eclypstaff12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:02 am

I dont think this new ruling helps at all. Anyone with a breeding bitch will know that they only have a season maybe only every 7 months ??? so I dont know how they could have 3-5 litters a year. so really it does not help ??? Not sure what that will do to be honest. I dont think its going to stop the back street breeding either, they just ignore this anyway , its a bit like licensing and chipping they just dont give a damn

Rummibailey

Post by Rummibailey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:54 am

It is number of litters per household rather than per dog so should restrict those with multiple dogs, but one litter is one too many.
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

Return to “Legal Questions & Chat”