Dogs on Holiday in Europe

lolking

Dogs on Holiday in Europe

Post by lolking » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Has anyone any experience of taking their dog to France/Spain on Holiday? We have just got Jasmine a passport and are planning a trip for end of October via Eurotunnel. Any tips or recommendations for car journeys - we know she's not car sick and usually just snoozes. Also I understand the French are not to keen on staffies :smiley-sad010.gif:
Thanks

Hoonercat

Re: Dogs on Holiday

Post by Hoonercat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:35 pm

What breed is stated on her pet passport? Staffie or Staffie X? The Staffie isn't banned in France, there was some confusion over this a few years ago as people with Staffie X marked on passports were being warned that they could be asked to return to the UK with their dogs, but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore, lots of people take their Staffie X's to France without any problems.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:52 pm

The info online is quite unclear as some say if you cant prove its a pedigree staffie they dont allow them in :smiley-signs002.gif: :smiley-signs002.gif: i would check first maybe ask your vet :smiley-confused004.gif: nhope you have a great holiday ;)

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Read on one forum that in west france their staffie had to wear a muzzle and onlead ....other people are saying as long as it states a stafford on the dogs passport all should be ok ...its a minefield. ...the ignorance within bull breeds is shocking ...some countries deem Am bulls and Mastiffs as dangerous :smiley-sad010.gif: :smiley-signs002.gif: ..

lolking

Post by lolking » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks for your replies. On her passport and microchip log she is down as a SBT not SBT cross but you're right Sweetpea the guidance on the Internet is not clear and the vet told me to ring Defra and they told me to contact the French embassy! Hoonercat I feel more reassured now and we are not planning to overnight in France just driving through it and stopping for regular breaks. :thanks.gif:

Nurse Flo

Post by Nurse Flo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:08 am

Lucky Jasmine going off on her hols!
We have driven many times through Europe with our dogs although we didn't have a Staffie at the time. The last trip we did was in July this year when we took my young nephews and nieces and their very large Airedale to Switzerland (we left my "gang" at home as 2 are long haired hounds so we didn't think it fair to make them endure a 12 hour drive in the heat). The great thing about driving with dogs in France is that there are frequent stopping areas called "aires". The stopping areas can be large and busy with the usual petrol station and eating places. However, many of the aires are much smaller, with a green space, picnic tables and a toilet. These are often much quieter as people tend to prefer the places where they can stock up on supplies. During our travels, we always stopped at these and found them a great place for the dogs to have a stretch of their legs. In Switzerland you will even find poo bins with poo bags supplied!
Travelling on Eurotunel is a doddle with the dogs. There is a safe exercise area with bins at the terminals and once you get on the train you can open the boot (if of course your dog is caged) for the journey.
My dad lived in France for 5 years with his rescue dogs, a Mastiff X & a Rottie X. He travelled back and forwards to the UK with them and had no problems with "officialdom".
I too have lived in France and it is true to say the French generally are a nation of pedigree-frou-frou lovers as far of their dogs are concerned. The big dogs and or/bull types seem to be kept to guard property/people. Even this year, people in France stopped, stared and moved out of the way in a hurry when my 8 year old niece was walking her best friend, the Airedale! He looks like a big teddy bear for goodness sake! So, yes get ready for the usual ignorant behaviour of some. Their loss though if they don't know the love of a big dog or/and a bull breed.
I hope that you have a great holiday. Bon voyage!

lolking

Post by lolking » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Thank you Nurse Flo! We adopted Jasmine in May from Rescue Remedies and are taking her to see my Dad who lives in Spain. Getting quite excited now with route planning and lists of things to take for her.

Helenisca

Post by Helenisca » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:12 am

Hello!!!! I have a friend who travels frequently to Spain with her Staffie, she does one way in the ferry and the way back by car. She told me that Staffies are considered "potential dangerous breeds" in Spain so it is mandatory to keep them on a lead and with a muzzle in the parks, street etc. I am searching info because I would like to bring Tia with me at Christmas :biggrin.gif: by the way, it would be helpful if you tell us your experience when you are back :thanks.gif:
Helena

lolking

Post by lolking » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi Helen

Does you friend drive back from Spain through France with her staffie? I know we have to have her muzzled in public in Spain so we are going to get a muzzle next week, basket type has been recommended by vet, to get her used to it. We did look at going by ferry to Northern Spain but it is very expensive (and a long time on a boat with a dog) so we decided to drive.

Will update when we get back!

Helenisca

Post by Helenisca » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:17 pm

lolking wrote:Hi Helen

Does you friend drive back from Spain through France with her staffie? I know we have to have her muzzled in public in Spain so we are going to get a muzzle next week, basket type has been recommended by vet, to get her used to it. We did look at going by ferry to Northern Spain but it is very expensive (and a long time on a boat with a dog) so we decided to drive.

Will update when we get back!
Hello !!!! what she told me is that in France all is okay, there are nice places to stop on the road...she usually stops 2 times from her starting point in Spain, these are hostels on the road (one in Spain and one in France) that accepts dogs. I checked the option of the ferry but it is all booked! it seems you have to book it at least one year before! The basket muzzle is the best one, give time to your Staffie to get used to it :biggrin.gif: :biggrin.gif: :biggrin.gif: Cheers
Helena

Return to “Legal Questions & Chat”