New baby

Lizziesmum

New baby

Post by Lizziesmum » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi, I’m looking for some advice, I rescued denzil nearly 3 years ago, and he’s always been quite vocal, needy and anxious. Any sort of change has unsettled him. My daughter had a baby 11 months ago and up until her starting to crawl, denzil basically wasn’t bothered by her, ignored her really. Since she’s been crawling, and walking around the furniture and gradually getting more mobile, he has become really unsettled, he doesn’t like her going near him, and gets very vocal about it. She is obviously bothering him. I never leave them alone, and never would, with any dog. And I watch the baby constantly if she approaches him, making sure pats don’t turn into smacks etc. But I’m getting concerned about how much it’s affecting him. Has anyone got any advice please?

sweetpea

Re: New baby

Post by sweetpea » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:07 pm

I would let him go into another room if he chooses to ...one that the baby cant get into ...maybe a babygate so he can still see you but doesnt get worried by the baby. ....one of my lurchers didnt like toddlers ...despite being a 6 week old pup when we got her she didnt like toddlers invading her space ....
:goodluck.gif:

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm

I concur with Sweetpea. Put up some stair/baby gates, so he can be left in peace in another room. Don't force him to be touched by her or to be near her if he is telling you he doesn't like it. Listening to our dogs is half the battle, I think. If he is uncomfortable, give him a break and separate them. It could very well prevent an accident and save a lot of distress - both dog and baby, as well as you!

Take a look at desensitisation tips and positive training. But keep in mind that he may never stop being worried by small children. Call in a positive trainer to give you some tips on how to get him to relax a bit more and associate the baby with positive things.
:goodluck.gif:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 pm

PS: We would love an update on how Denzil is doing with you! Thanks for adopting him! :thanks.gif:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Also be very proud of Denzil that he is vocal when the baby gets near him as this is his way of warning you that he isnt comfortable ....clever boy ...xxxx

Return to “Behaviour & Training”