Dogs in Flats

cobden28

Dogs in Flats

Post by cobden28 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:05 am

I live in a first-floor flat - with my own private garden - and am the proud owner of two small dogs; Aristotle a Pekingese and Cherub the toothless Pom from RR. I don't need an alarm clock because I know that if I get out of bed after 6 am it's likely I'll have some damp bedding to wash - hence a lie-in till all of 6.30 am is a real luxury for me :) ! Usually if I'm a minute later than 6 am in getting up of a morning it's Cherub who has the damp bedding but very occasionally if Cherub's bedding is dry, Ari will charge out of the living room and, while I'm still opening Cherub's crate, promptly piddle on the landing rug :( . That's why I've had the fitted carpet on my landing replaced with vinyl flooring and machine-washable rugs.

Both dogs are taken outside for toilet trips to the garden regularly in hot weather or walkies at least twice daily if not so hot; they give clear indications when indoors if they need to go for a wee and when I see this I have to stop whatever else I'm doing and take then down the back stairs to the garden. I should add that their toilet business is perfectly regular and normal so I don't have any worries in this respect; this is the normal pattern for my two and I'm satisfied that they're both in the pink of health.

How do others cope with dogs living in flats, when it comes to taking their dogs outside for a wee?

sweetpea

Re: Dogs in flats.

Post by sweetpea » Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 am

What time is their last garden visit. ..maybe try putting them out later....i know alot of toy breeds that dont have good bladder control ... :icon_barking_dog-116.gif:

cobden28

Post by cobden28 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Normally Ari and Cherub go out for their last garden visit between 9 and 9.30 pm. If I let them out at around midnight (ish) I definitely get dry bedding from both of them BUT Cherub has a habit (being a Pom) of announcing her presence vociferously; my neighbour works shifts so I am naturally anxious to avoid causing a nuisance.

I'll try letting her out at midnight tonight and see what her reaction is.

When Cherub needs to go out for a wee she will bark to let me know, whereas Ari will just fidget and then go lie down by the living room door.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sat May 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Fingers crossed cherub goes out quietly tonight ... 0002.gif] :icon_barking_dog-116.gif:

Return to “Behaviour & Training”